What's new

What did you use today? +Rate the shave 1-10 (10 best)

High Efficiency SOTD Tuesday Evening 6/21/2022

Razor:
Yaqi Beast 2 Variant :devil:
Blade: Kai (666)
Brush: Je&Co Synthetic Brush 24mm Extra Dense Knot
Pre-Shave: CeraVe Hydrating Cleanser Bar, Cremo Classic Shave Cream
Soap: RazoRock WTP Blue Barbershop
Aftershave: Ice cubes, Aqua Velva Ice Sport, Nivea Maximum Hydration Post Shave Balm
Growth: 56 hours
Passes: WTG open comb, XTG closed comb, ATG open comb
Rating: 10/10

Results: This Young Frankenstein, Mad Scientist razor set up, delivered a BBS result for me with increased blade feel. I shaved with a steep angle approach (riding the bar). The more rigid Kai blade eliminated the need for a shim & helped to reduce blade chatter that I experienced on my first shave. For future shaves with the Beast 2, with non Kai blades, I can double stack my DE blade, by cutting the blade in half and inserting them on one side of the razor. Double stacking is supposed to help reduce blade chatter & increases blade rigidity along with blade stability inside the head cap by adding more pressure.

Overall, No Drama, No Trauma. Great Shave!

View attachment 1476649
I’m liking that aftershave!

• 23/30 days in GRUME June (76.67% completed and still in!!)
  • 22/30 days High Efficiency Razors in June
  • 173/174 days of 365 days of shaving (99.4%)
  • Steep Angle Shaving Alliance (SASA)

Prep:Cold splash
KCG Face Wash
Proraso Green preshave
Razor:Fatip Piccolo Open Comb
Blade:Tiger Platinum (2)
Brush:Omega Super Badger 632
Cream:Ach Brito Lavanda
Bowl:Proraso Green
Passes:
WXTG (2) / ATG (2)
Slanted on the neck
Aftershave:Proraso Green
Balm:Proraso Green
Rating:9.0/10 DFS

Notes to today's shave can be found here: A newbies journey into DE shaving - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/a-newbies-journey-into-de-shaving.622889/post-11817687

Have a Great day everyone

Todays shave:

Gillette Fusion Skinguard cartridge razor.
Gillette Fusion Proglide gel
GFT Sandalwood skin food.

Todays shave is all about comparisons between cartridge and DE razors.

The shave was close enough but VERY patchy in places even after several ATG passes. I’m guessing because the blades are spring loaded they sometimes ride over the hair instead of cutting it. There was all too much stickiness from the lube strips. The gel was ok but not great.

Score.

Blade sharpness 6/10
Blade comfort 6/10
Shave quality 4/10
Gel quality 4/10

Overall 5/10

Final thoughts.

Now I know why I like my Sledgehammer so much. Just simply does a far far better job.

Jason.

4BF7B332-ED63-4360-A9F6-E9BE8A033C31.jpeg

Soap: Canada
Brush: Omega 10066
Razor: Razorock Lupo .72
Blade: Gillette Wilkinson Sword (2)

This one goes to 11.

23 June 2022
1655987301502.jpeg

Prep
Old Spice bar soap (in bowl with white cap)
Razor
King C. Gillette
Brush
Omega---11126
Lathering
Stirling Barbershop
Bowl
Q Shave Scuttle
Blade
Gillette Silver Blue blade 1 of 2 Shave #1
Passes
WTG, XTG and then buffing as required
Cleanup
Rinsed & dried face f/b Witch Haze f/b Omega Alum stick
Aftershave
Old Spice (now in small travel bottle)
Rating(s)
9.0 DFS
Today
Lots remaining stubble, but no nicks or weepers
Comment(s)
Today was my 1st shave with GSB blade in ages. The result(s) were okay, but I had to employ 3 passes and lots of buffing. However, I started the shave with a thick scratchy beard, but now have a basically smooth face. Perhaps the blade need a ‘break-in’ shave to get started.

Wolfman WR2 1.25,GWS(1),Stirling iced pineapple,Simpsons Eagle2 super,Thayers,Blue med,Nivea sensitive.Fantastic shave today everything just went right.Absolutely adore Stirling iced pineapple nothing better for a hot day.3 passes minimum pickups no cuts,weepers or irritation.Got the angles spot on with the Wolfman so i guess muscle memory must have kicked in.This is as good as it gets for me an easy 10/10.Take care happy shaves everyone.
20220623_131336[1].jpg

Pre-Shave: Grooming Dept Moisturizing Pre-shave
Soap: Ethos Mandarino Fumo
Brush: Paladin Lotus
Razor: WSC The Winning Razor
Blade: PolSilver SI(2)
Post-Shave: Mask of lather + Ethos Mandarino Fumo Skin Food Splash
Rating: 10/10 BBS - A much better shave this morning although I'm not too crazy about the drag this razor has against the skin. Another issue I have is the squeegee effect from the SB. I'm going to have to decide, is TWR a keeper or send it back.

20220623SOTD.jpg

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
DE SOTD, Thursday, June 23rd, 2022

Razor : Razorock Wunderbar slant-Mfg 2017> excellent upper mid range, well built, QC is amazing for the fit, made of 316 SS, I like to use a steep angle with a Short handle with a light touch works the best for myself.
Blade : Gillette Astra SS (5) sharp & smooth with excellent longevity.
Soap : Razorock Don Marco, nice citrus scent with excellent lather qualities.
Brush : Yaqi Mysterious Space 24mm silver-tip badger :001_wub:, excellent lather generator, heavenly cloud like soft tips, nice gentle scrub + excellent lather painter.
Pre shave : (Dedicated Cashmere synthetic)Brush wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser with a dollop of clear Aloe Vera on the cleaned beard area.
Prep : Cold water rinse after each pass of 2 + pickups. WTG + ATG + pickups.
Post shave : Nivea refreshing AS lotion + a dollop of CeraVe moisturizing lotion(scentless)
Results :10/10 or CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + 1 blemish weeper=:a17: Excellent shave with my RR Wunderbar slant with a Gillette Astra SP blade.
SOTD June 23 2022.jpg

Have some great shaves!

Shave of Day BB.jpg

Pre
Face wash with Neutrogena Liquid Face Soap
Soap/Cream
Seaforth Sea Spice Lime
Brush
Rudy Vey Keyhole with 28mm Shavemac Silvertip Knot
Bowl
Captain’s Choice Copper
Razor
Henson AL 13 Mid
Blade
Wizamet
Aftershave
Thayers WH & Duke Cannon ASB
Fragrance
Jimmy Choo Man Intense
Rating
10/10
Comments
I used the Seaforth Sea Spice Lime soap for the 14th time and the Henson-Wizamet combo for the 7th shave. Today’s brush is a copy of the B&B LE 2012 brush I used yesterday but with a 28 mm Shavemac knot. The keyhole handle design is a favorite of mine. It fits my hand perfectly and looks great. The Shavemac knot is perfect. An excellent shave. Have a good one, folks.

Pre Shave: Warm Shower, SV 70th Anniv Bath Soap, Glycerin soap for pre shave
Razor: 24K Gold Plated Brass Karve Overlander
Blade: Gillette Platinum (5)
Soap: SV Fern Aromatic
Bowl: Georgetown Pottery Travel Shave Bowl
Brush: Paul Trotter Northeast Ice Handle 26mm G5A Knot
Post Shave: Cold Water Rinse, Thayers Unscented Witch Hazel, Nivea Sensitive Post Shave Balm, Polo Double Black EDT
Rating: 9.875/10 Three pass BBS shave with no touch ups. Two weepers, one cut but no irritation. Efficient Shave. Better luck lathering the Fern Aromatic soap. Cut on lip and weepers on upper lip my fault plus is time to change blades.

Top Bottom