What's new

Wolfman Wednesday

Question for the Wolfman owners: I see a .86 OC for sale used. While the .86mm is a mild measurement/specification, does the OC structure inherently make it aggressive? Sorry for the newbie question, but I don't know what to expect if I bought an OC razor.

Absolutely not mild

Maybe this will be helpful

Gap v exposure for WR1

.86 = 0.25mm EFFICIENT
.80 = 0.17mm
.74 = 0.17mm
.67 = 0.10mm
.61 = 0.10mm STANDARD GAP
.54 = 0.10mm
.48 = 0.02mm MILD

OC v SB is very much a YMMV thing. Personally I prefer the OC for certain gaps, i.e. it doesn't make it more aggressive to me.

Absolutely not mild

Maybe this will be helpful

Gap v exposure for WR1

.86 = 0.25mm EFFICIENT
.80 = 0.17mm
.74 = 0.17mm
.67 = 0.10mm
.61 = 0.10mm STANDARD GAP
.54 = 0.10mm
.48 = 0.02mm MILD

OC v SB is very much a YMMV thing. Personally I prefer the OC for certain gaps, i.e. it doesn't make it more aggressive to me.
Thank you, this is a fantastic reference. I did an online search, looking for a similar table for the WR2, but didn’t see one. Would you happen to know where I could review the specs for the WR2 gap versus exposure?

I don't have such figures for the WR2, however someone did measure a few gaps (and calculated others) on another forum. Hope it's okay to post on here.

Blade exposure.........
So here is a quick measurement for everyone,
Not 100% accurate but very close indeedy. (Within 0.01mm)
Wolfman Wr2 1.15/1.55 SB Satin Matte finish Wrh1 XL Hollow
[Image: A8egYvf.jpg]

The 1.15 side is ballpark 0.09mm positive blade exposure
The 1.55 side is ballpark 0.40mm positive blade exposure
Based on these measurements a rough positive blade exposure calculation could look like this:
0.95 Negative. -0.076mm Calculated
1.05 P 0.01mm. (Measured)
1.15 P 0.09mm. (Measured)
1.25 P 0.167mm. Calculated. ————————-Blackbird P 0.14mm (measured)
1.35 P 0.244mm. Calculated
1.45 P 0.321mm. Calculated. (Measured 0.33mm)
1.55 P 0.40mm. (Measured)
The 1.05 Is very close to Neutral exposure......I have more blade gaps & could explore further if there is demand for greater accuracy's.

This info is great! So, if I were to explore my first Wolfman and wanted to be in what I'd consider a "safe zone" for a purchase, would you gents agree with either a WR1 .61 or .67...or a WR2 1.15. These seem to be roughly around the blade exposure that I think would be a middle-ground starting point (not too mild, not too aggressive).

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
This info is great! So, if I were to explore my first Wolfman and wanted to be in what I'd consider a "safe zone" for a purchase, would you gents agree with either a WR1 .61 or .67...or a WR2 1.15. These seem to be roughly around the blade exposure that I think would be a middle-ground starting point (not too mild, not too aggressive).
Spot on, IMHO.

@Strumbringer
I'd recommend to proceed with the higher gap if you are torn between two gaps (if you have ruled out a customized gap).

As a rule of thumbs it appears to be easier to trade a higher gapped Wolfman head for a smaller gapped one than the other way around on BST.
At least, this is what gets reported regularly.

@Fedsbackhand
Thank you for sharing these specs. Very interesting.

I don't have such figures for the WR2, however someone did measure a few gaps (and calculated others) on another forum. Hope it's okay to post on here.

Blade exposure.........
So here is a quick measurement for everyone,
Not 100% accurate but very close indeedy. (Within 0.01mm)
Wolfman Wr2 1.15/1.55 SB Satin Matte finish Wrh1 XL Hollow
[Image: A8egYvf.jpg]

The 1.15 side is ballpark 0.09mm positive blade exposure
The 1.55 side is ballpark 0.40mm positive blade exposure
Based on these measurements a rough positive blade exposure calculation could look like this:
0.95 Negative. -0.076mm Calculated
1.05 P 0.01mm. (Measured)
1.15 P 0.09mm. (Measured)
1.25 P 0.167mm. Calculated. ————————-Blackbird P 0.14mm (measured)
1.35 P 0.244mm. Calculated
1.45 P 0.321mm. Calculated. (Measured 0.33mm)
1.55 P 0.40mm. (Measured)
The 1.05 Is very close to Neutral exposure......I have more blade gaps & could explore further if there is demand for greater accuracy's.
Great information. Thanks for taking the time Sir!

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.

1.15 today.

6-22-22.Sailor.CanadaSS.SV.Horn.640.JPG

I enjoy both my 1.15 and my 1.35. Currently I'm favoring the 1.15.

My beard is average but my whiskers, at least some of them, are old man wiry and difficult. My skin is a little bit on the sensitive side. I'm not a fan of much ATG S-N under my nose blade feel.

If I were to order a third WR2 it might be the 0.95. However, that's not me saying I know I'd like it. I am not likely to buy another WR2 now that I have the Sailor.

Don't know that helps, but maybe it might.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Howdy Wolfpack I hope all is well.

Finally had a chance to shave during lunchtime. Work From Home (WFH) schedule is a little crazy today.

Great shave with my WR2 1.35 SB and Racer Platinum blade.

Copious amounts of rich & slick lather were provided by my Omega Pro Boar and ETHOS vanilla Safi.
ED57B294-4B14-4A98-8DCF-199200FAFCA8.jpeg

Wolfman .95 today tomorrow the 1.15 still comparing these two :)

Nacet blade
3rd use of my MDC Fougere sample and used my synthetic brush on it today and got a much better lather than my Semogue so just need more practice with the semogue but was very nice slick and residual was great and post comfort was great for sure a top tier for me
the scent is growing on me more but picked up my SV and was like OH YEAH so much nicer so we shall see its not on the chopping block yet :)
Old Spice AS with a touch of Nivea
then did a ton of yard work so took a shower and just used some Fine A Platinum with no balm for my post shower refresh :)

This is the same advice I received from the folks here in Wolfman World!!

I did follow through with a WR1 .67 OC and could not be happier. Its a very comfortable and efficient shaver!! lol its the only razor I use since it arrived just over a month ago!

1.15 today.

View attachment 1476392

I enjoy both my 1.15 and my 1.35. Currently I'm favoring the 1.15.

My beard is average but my whiskers, at least some of them, are old man wiry and difficult. My skin is a little bit on the sensitive side. I'm not a fan of much ATG S-N under my nose blade feel.

If I were to order a third WR2 it might be the 0.95. However, that's not me saying I know I'd like it. I am not likely to buy another WR2 now that I have the Sailor.

Don't know that helps, but maybe it might.

Happy shaves,

Jim
That is absolutely beautiful and the exact razor (WRH2 handle, 1.15 SB) I would want to buy. Should you ever decide to part with it, please let me know. I'm happy to take that one off your hands and you could go for that Wolfman .95 or simply continue to enjoy your Sailor. BTW, the craftsmanship and look of the Sailor is among the nicest I've ever seen.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
That is absolutely beautiful and the exact razor (WRH2 handle, 1.15 SB) I would want to buy. Should you ever decide to part with it, please let me know. I'm happy to take that one off your hands and you could go for that Wolfman .95 or simply continue to enjoy your Sailor. BTW, the craftsmanship and look of the Sailor is among the nicest I've ever seen.

Thank you very much.

The new Sailor 2022L can be had for about the same money as a new WR2. I don't know the exact cost of a new Wolfman but they're in the same ballpark I think. You could drop him a line about availability.

Not knocking the Wolfman WR2 razors. I like mine and plan to keep 'em. If I change my mind...

Happy shaves,

Jim

Thank you very much.

The new Sailor 2022L can be had for about the same money as a new WR2. I don't know the exact cost of a new Wolfman but they're in the same ballpark I think. You could drop him a line about availability.

Not knocking the Wolfman WR2 razors. I like mine and plan to keep 'em. If I change my mind...

Happy shaves,

Jim
Thanks- I have a feeling that purchasing new (WM or Sailor) is not likely something I can do, but I’m going to be patient in the hopes of seeing one in the BST section someday. In the interim, I’m reading some great things about the Rex Konsul, which also has piqued my curiosity.

Top Bottom