What's new

My review and thoughts on Speick Mens AS

Hey everyone, I finally got around to picking up some Speick Mens (original) AS Lotion. Its up there on my list as an excellent splash and is quite similar in formulation and performance as Proraso's splashes. To me I would rate it as an excellent splash.

The ingredient formulation is the best so far. It's an extremely clean alcohol based splash that has some nourishing ingredients and even a mild exfoliant in lactic acid that makes it excellent to use post shave even as part of a skincare routine. The inclusions of actual witch hazel, speick plant extract, lavender oil, lemon oil, menthol and camphor make it nice and natural. There is no glycerin which I don't mind, I never really felt that splashes with glycerin made my skin feel 'sticky' but if you do, then this might be a choice to try. I don't find it to be unnourishing due to the lack of glycerin though. My skin is smooth, clean and neither dry or oily. I don't feel the menthol/camphor like I do in any other mentholated AS. It just feels somewhat cool when applied but no cooling sensation or tingling here. The alcohol content is higher in this splash than in Prorasos. You will feel more sting/burn comparatively but still nothing compared to supermarket AS. It lasts a second or two but is noticeble whereas other low alcohol splashes barely register.

The bottle is nice too. Solid glass and the spout doesn't have a plastic restrictor (big plus for me), instead its designed in such a way that only a few drops come out at a time, so you don't accidentally pour out the entire bottle. More brands should make bottles like this and minimise plastic use.

The scent is quite nice too. Not a favourite by any means but similar (not identical) to the scent of the cream. Its a cologney lavender forward fougere that to me is reminiscent of YSL Rive Gauche pour homme. It's a clear, fresh scent that is lavender forward and has low projection and moderate longevity. Proraso Red remains the king of both for me. Its not bold and booming but subtle and fresh. Ideal to use year round, any fragrance can be worn on top and it would complement virtually any shave soap/cream.

You don't need much either I've found. It's a nice water consistency that applies easily and soaks in immediately. No need to re-apply or douse the skin and the few drops I use go a long way. Moreso than some other splashes I've tried.

Overall, an excellent product that everyone should try (assuming you don't hate lavender scents or things made in Germany)

...There is no glycerin which I don't mind, I never really felt that splashes with glycerin made my skin feel 'sticky' but if you do, then this might be a choice to try. I don't find it to be unnourishing due to the lack of glycerin though. My skin is smooth, clean and neither dry or oily...

Glycerin is not needed because the Speick A/S includes other humectant ingredients such as sorbitol, glucose and mannitol.

Other aftershaves that use a combination of sorbitol and lactic acid include some of the Myrsol aftershave line. You might like those if you can get therm.

Last edited:
Thank you for your review! I agree with most of what you said, although I’d pick Speick over Proraso due to the sticky feeling that the latter gives me.

Speick makes a nice splash but I’m not a big fan of the scent. There’s a bit of men’s deodorant smell behind the lemon and lavender that I don’t enjoy.
As the post above suggests, I rank Myrsol above Speick.

Glycerin is not needed because the Speick A/S includes other humectant ingredients such as sorbitol, glucose and mannitol.

Other aftershaves that use a combination of sorbitol and lactic acid include some of the Myrsol aftershave line. You might like those if you can get therm.
Interesting! I figured the sorbitol and mannitol glucose were preservatives not humectants. I'll have to give Myrsol a try at some point. Thanks for the suggestion! (on a side note, is it possible to absorb the glucose through the skin? I'd be interested to see if extreme diabetics who are very sensitive to sugar react to it in the splash)

Thank you for your review! I agree with most of what you said, although I’d pick Speick over Proraso due to the sticky feeling that the latter gives me.

Speick makes a nice splash but I’m not a big fan of the scent. There’s a bit of men’s deodorant smell behind the lemon and lavender that I don’t enjoy.
As the post above suggests, I rank Myrsol above Speick.
I'd have to say that I prefer proraso as well, mostly due to the scent. I really like the red scent and would rate green and speick scents around the same. Although I prefer the skin feel of Speick, its not so much better to pick over the red. For me, the scent is quite important.

speick a/s is a long-standing favorite!

speick stock rooney feather april 1 2018.jpg

I found Speick disappointing because of the generic men’s deodorant scent that others have pointed out. I’m sure it works fine but there are plenty of other good splashes that have satisfying scents.

I found Speick disappointing because of the generic men’s deodorant scent that others have pointed out. I’m sure it works fine but there are plenty of other good splashes that have satisfying scents.
I have to agree. Its nice but to me im simply ambivalent. I much prefer the scent of proraso red over this one. I suppose if someone wanted a clear, fresh lavender scent...it would be pretty hard to beat this one though.

Top Bottom