What's new

Tatara Titanium Razors Have Started Arriving.

The first batch of Tatara Titanium razors are on their way now.

In fact, my Masamune Nodachi Ti arrived today, but I have the advantage of living 120 km south of Porto (Portugal), where Tatararazors is based.

I knew, moving to Portugal after retirement was a smart move.
:thumbup1:

The razor arrived too late for today’s shave, so tomorrow will be my first shave with it.
This morning, I used my stainless steel Nodachi with a fresh blade, so that willl give me a good comparison.

As expected, at 63 grams the razor feels light but has a solid feel to it.
The base that I ordered with it feels (and at 84 grams actually is) heavier than the razor.
I hadn’t noticed that on the stainless steel Nodachi before.

On the Muramasa adjustable razor stand Tatara inserted a plastic sleeve for the razor into the stand and I had hoped that they would do the same for the Ti Nodachi stand.
It does not, and except for the titanium material the stand is exactly like the stainless stand.
In all fairness, I have not noticed any scuff marks on my stainless Nodachi, so maybe my fear that the stand may produce scuff marks without the plastic insert is unfounded.

Regarding the material, Tatara included a black envelope (“International Certificate of Authenticity”) with some information, including that the razor is made from Ti-6AI-4V titanium, a.k.a. Ti Grade 5.

If you want to know what that is: What are Titanium Grades - Pure Titanium and Alloys - Definition | Material Properties - https://material-properties.org/what-are-titanium-grades-pure-titanium-and-alloys-definition/

Quite a popular grade in Aerospace and thanks to Airbus, Boeing, Rolls Royce and General Electric, I may have (unknowingly) moved some of this grade around with me when I was still flying airplanes.

So, we’ll see what tomorrow brings and, not surprisingly, I am quite keen on my next shave.

B.

Yes, I have had my Ti Masamune Nodachi for about 10 days now and the reduction in weight is obviously the main difference between the Ti and steel version.

The reduced weight gives the Ti Masamune more manoeuvrability and it is a joy to handle this razor.
Both Nodachi razors give me close and comfortable shaves that at one time I only had thought possible with straight razors.
First, I had planned on alternating morning shaves for two weeks between the titanium and steel Nodachi to compare the two, but it quickly became apparent to me that I liked the titanium model so much better.
(Sincere apologies to the somewhat relegated steel Nodachi. “The better is the enemy of the good.”)

For the first seven shaves with my Ti Masamune Nodachi, as I had just added a new Astra Stainless blade in my Muramasa and steel Nodachi, I inserted another Astra Stainless blade in my Ti Nodachi. I typically keep blades for one week (seven shaves) and today I inserted in a fresh Feather blade.
The shave was divine; close, comfortable, all that a shaver could wish for.
Incidentally, Tatararazors adds a few Feather blades to their new Nodachis when they ship them (not to the Muramasas though) and that may give you an idea what blade Tatararazors think works well with their razors.
From images that I have seen, I believe there may have been an earlier time when they included a few Astra Stainless blades instead.

As I have mentioned on this site before, I did not find any noteworthy difference between the Nodachi open comb and closed comb steel heads and for the Ti version I opted only for the closed comb model.

The razor is so light, that when I rinse it in a wash basin filled with water I wonder whether it would sink slower than the steel version. Of course, this is kind of a silly idea, but you get my drift: the reduction in weight it quite noticeable.
The razor still feels well built and solid, is a delight to move around with precision, and the blade is as securely clamped in the Ti version as it is in the steel version.
Sometimes it reminds me of the Gillette Trac II (G II in Europe) when it first appeared (yes, I am that old) and showed shavers that a razor could be manoeuvred with ease.

The razor is pricey though, it costs more than twice as much as the steel model.
As much as I do like the ease at which I can move the razor around, if you like your razors to have this hefty feel and the Ti “weightlessness” doesn’t mean anything to you, you might as well save your money and go for a steel Nodachi.

Some shavers seem to prefer the shorter original Masamune or Muramasa Adjustable handle length, but for me the longer Nodachi handle is the epitome of precision. The Nodachi handle works extremely well in my large paws and (again, my age shows) reminds me of the Gillette Super Adjustable, where the Super 109 with its longer handle suited me much better than the Super 84.

You may have noticed that I have been harping almost exclusively on the benefits of the lighter mass of the Ti Masamune Nodachi and that that is essentially what sets the steel and titanium Masamune Nodachis apart.
I consider the Ti Nodachi a further evolution of the steel Nodachi that brings all the well-known and well documented strengths of the steel version to the table, but now adds a significant drop in mass and improvement in manoevrability.

Before you ask: pictures?
My photography skills are only average (and I don’t particularly care for the gratuitous still lives with brush, razor, shaving cream and after shave), but more importantly you would probably not be able to tell the difference between a steel and titanium Masamune unless you held it in your hand.
Suffice to say that - if anything - the metal sheen of the titanium surface is a minute shade darker than the stainless one.

B.

Last edited:
IMG_0023.jpg

A few quick thoughts -- I pretty much agree with what's been said above.

I've tried the Masamune OC and SB in that order. The new Masamune is very light and has managed the impossible: my original Masamune now feels heavy. The Ti edition weighs in at 50g compared to 85g for the steel. The advantage is in the reduction of weight not the titanium material. Both combs are very comfortable in use and could be considered more comfortable than the steel original but frankly I think they are simply lighter and easier to control the pressure of the blade on the skin.

I didn't find them any more or less efficient than the original. I didn't do a side-by-side shave but have been using the SS Masamune in the run up to the pass around.

If you like light razors you will love the new line.

I will try the Nodachi plate next. I have the Nodachi cap, open comb and their new shaving towel arriving hopefully tomorrow. Tatara are serious about pass arounds!

More to follow next week.

About to pass on the titanium razor to the next person... I went back to the original Tatara and actually I prefer the SS. I think the extra weight helps reduce any vibration of the blade. I did feel a little with the super light titanium to be honest. SS feels more secure. I used the same blade and chopped and changed between most but not all the possible options.

Ti Masamune SB
Ti Masamune OC
Ti Nodachi SB
Ti Nodachi cap + Masamune SB
Ti Nodachi SB + Masamune cap
Ti Masamune SB + Nodachi cap

Pass around 3.jpg

Still don't think the titanium material makes a great deal of difference other than weight (and price).

I'll have another go once the pass around wraps up before returning to Tatara but I'm not rushing to buy the titanium razor so far.

On the Muramasa adjustable razor stand Tatara inserted a plastic sleeve for the razor into the stand and I had hoped that they would do the same for the Ti Nodachi stand.
It does not, and except for the titanium material the stand is exactly like the stainless stand.
In all fairness, I have not noticed any scuff marks on my stainless Nodachi, so maybe my fear that the stand may produce scuff marks without the plastic insert is unfounded.

Your fears are not unfounded. My SS Masamune handle has a small scuff mark on the handle right where it inserts into the stand.

Your fears are not unfounded. My SS Masamune handle has a small scuff mark on the handle right where it inserts into the stand.
I just checked mine and I have zero scuffs. There is enough clearance between the razor and opening of the stand that I can insert it smoothly without any real chaffing. The edge of the opening is also slightly rounded, no sharp edges. I have noticed some other brands use the plastic sleeve in their inkwell stands but I don’t find it necessary in this case.

The finishing work looks really good! Not sure I would like the grip design, because it looks too smooth for my wet soapy hands.

It may look that way but it's very grippy compared to a polished handle. Texture and dimples make for a secure grip.

Just as good as any of my knurled handles.

Man, I really wish the Muramasa had a little more bite to it. They said the Ti version would be back in stock in 2023, but I've since decided to abstain from this razor because it's reported to be pretty mild on the top end. Very disappointing, because the craftsmanship is reportedly amazing on these things.

The steel version of this razor is one of very few modern designs that appeals to me. I won't likely buy one as I'm satisfied with my collection of working razors but I do find it elegant and a little tempting. ;)

Top Bottom