What's new

I'm ready to order my first expensive razor, help me make a decision!!

I finished my comparison of the GP white box and blue box blades. I did 3 daily shaves using each blade. Shaves were all full 3 pass with a 4th touch up pass with some buffing on the neck....my typical routine.

Here is what I used: Razor, soap, aftershave and brush remained the same during the 6 day trial.
A2367C4F-3FD7-4113-9D1E-6AF3E2B33A51.jpeg

Razor: ATT Windsor with SSRH plate
Brush: Rudy 25mm STF
Soap: PannaCrema Nuavia Blue
Blades: Gillete Platinum (white box and blue box)
Aftershave: Floid The Original (sorry I forgot to include in picture)

I started with the white box GP and shaved for 3 days straight. The first shave was just a tad rougher than the next two, but not terrible....very typical to most blades where the first shave is a little less smooth than the rest. The blade provided a good shave (DFS), but not as close as some I've experienced with this razor. Face felt good with just a tad of aftershave sting. Whiskers seemed to return within about 7 hours or so. The second shave was very smooth with the same DFS results and stubble returning within the same time frame. Some feedback from aftershave, but not much. The third shave seemed the smoothest providing virtually the same end results. Overall, not a bad blade, but could have shaved a little closer. No nicks or irritation experienced during any shave.

Next up, the blue box GP. This blade started out much smoother from the first shave. No feeling of any roughness at all....felt like the white box GP on the 2nd/3rd shave. This blade provided a closer shave with longer lasting results as well. Whiskers started to reappear after about 10 hrs. Face felt nice and smooth (mostly BBS) with no irritation....very little feedback from aftershave. The second and third shaves with this blade were super smooth and close....virtually the same feeling and results. The blade was smooth on the first shave, but seemed even smoother on the 2nd and third shaves.

The blue box GP provided a closer, longer lasting shave that starts out more comfortable. Not sure why these blades are different, but I could definitely tell the blue box performed better for me. I put the blue box GP in my Rocca this morning just to see how it would do in that razor (it was already out in my razor stand, so why not right). It was super smooth in the Rocca as well and provided a superb shave....maybe a tad better than the Windsor. It reminded me of the Astra SS that I really like in this razor. I will definitely try the blue box GP in my other favorites to see how it performs.

I've had these blades for a couple of years and for some reason just haven't used them much. I'm going to do more experimenting now that I have refreshed my memory on these. Blue Box GP for the win. As always....YMMV.

I finished my comparison of the GP white box and blue box blades. I did 3 daily shaves using each blade. Shaves were all full 3 pass with a 4th touch up pass with some buffing on the neck....my typical routine.

Here is what I used: Razor, soap, aftershave and brush remained the same during the 6 day trial.
View attachment 1473208
Razor: ATT Windsor with SSRH plate
Brush: Rudy 25mm STF
Soap: PannaCrema Nuavia Blue
Blades: Gillete Platinum (white box and blue box)
Aftershave: Floid The Original (sorry I forgot to include in picture)

I started with the white box GP and shaved for 3 days straight. The first shave was just a tad rougher than the next two, but not terrible....very typical to most blades where the first shave is a little less smooth than the rest. The blade provided a good shave (DFS), but not as close as some I've experienced with this razor. Face felt good with just a tad of aftershave sting. Whiskers seemed to return within about 7 hours or so. The second shave was very smooth with the same DFS results and stubble returning within the same time frame. Some feedback from aftershave, but not much. The third shave seemed the smoothest providing virtually the same end results. Overall, not a bad blade, but could have shaved a little closer. No nicks or irritation experienced during any shave.

Next up, the blue box GP. This blade started out much smoother from the first shave. No feeling of any roughness at all....felt like the white box GP on the 2nd/3rd shave. This blade provided a closer shave with longer lasting results as well. Whiskers started to reappear after about 10 hrs. Face felt nice and smooth (mostly BBS) with no irritation....very little feedback from aftershave. The second and third shaves with this blade were super smooth and close....virtually the same feeling and results. The blade was smooth on the first shave, but seemed even smoother on the 2nd and third shaves.

The blue box GP provided a closer, longer lasting shave that starts out more comfortable. Not sure why these blades are different, but I could definitely tell the blue box performed better for me. I put the blue box GP in my Rocca this morning just to see how it would do in that razor (it was already out in my razor stand, so why not right). It was super smooth in the Rocca as well and provided a superb shave....maybe a tad better than the Windsor. It reminded me of the Astra SS that I really like in this razor. I will definitely try the blue box GP in my other favorites to see how it performs.

I've had these blades for a couple of years and for some reason just haven't used them much. I'm going to do more experimenting now that I have refreshed my memory on these. Blue Box GP for the win. As always....YMMV.
Nice review!
After I've bought a bunch of white boxes, LOL!!
I guess it's time to buy the blue!
The white box ones are working fantastic for me though. They feel like autopilot blades!
I can't imagine anything better but maybe the blue could overtake the white.
I'll buy a tuck to try them out.
I can't imagine that the manufacturing process would be much different between the two.
Could it be a coating issue? (maybe the white has more coating)
And I'm curious if they are made in the same place.
Does the blue box also say "Made in Russia?" (hard as heck to see unless you use a magnifier)

Nice review!
After I've bought a bunch of white boxes, LOL!!
I guess it's time to buy the blue!
The white box ones are working fantastic for me though. They feel like autopilot blades!
I can't imagine anything better but maybe the blue could overtake the white.
I'll buy a tuck to try them out.
I can't imagine that the manufacturing process would be much different between the two.
Could it be a coating issue? (maybe the white has more coating)
And I'm curious if they are made in the same place.
Does the blue box also say "Made in Russia?" (hard as heck to see unless you use a magnifier)
Not sure what the difference is, but I could definitely tell a difference. They blue box is made in Russia as well.

Blues I used to pick up in old Eastern Germany areas like Jena. You can order them, they are found more in Romania, etc… I find no noticeable difference shaving with white or blue box. back to your question on Karve plate question. It’s D in my opinion, I owned both razors at different times but it’s D (I had B, C and D) but also borrowed an E. Wouldn’t even consider higher based off of your question.

I had the Tatara Nodachi, but traded it for a Blackland Blackbird (to try the Blackbird). I will say that the Nodachi, for me, was incredibly smooth and efficient. I love the look and feel of the razor. My only real issue was the fact that the cap and handle have a nonstandard thread diameter. This doesn't allow for switching to other handles unless they are from Tatara.

The Blackbird is incredibly smooth and efficient as well, a tad more for me than the Tatara. I don't have anything bad to say about it, and it's my favorite razor. If anything, it just isn't as aesthetically pleasing as the Nodachi. Since looks are subjective, I don't really think that's important. By the way, I have both the SS and Ti versions, and honestly, the shaves are almost identical to me. The weight is the only thing that really separates them.

If you want a great razor, at a great price, I would recommend the Razorock Gamechanger .84. It is very smooth and efficient, almost, but not quite, as efficient as the Nodachi and Blackbird. It is as smooth though. The best thing is, it's less than $100.
I preferred the blackbird, but the .84 gamechanger open comb plate was very, very close in feel. The .84 SB plate was slightly milder feeling.
What makes you put the Blackbirb above the Yates and Tatara?
I had the BB on the top of the list but I really don't like the looks of it especially the handle.
As good as it might shave, I don't want to dislike the looks of the razor that I use.
And I wouldn't want to spend $200 on a razor and then use another brands handle.
The Blackbird has the best grip of any razor handle manufactured. Those deep channels wick the water away and provide tons of grip. It feels better in the hand than pictures would imply.
Hmm, and now for a different spin that I noticed in my research that can affect my decision:

Yates, 316 stainless, $135
Carbon, 316 stainless, $280
Karve stainless, 303 stainless, $160
Timeless, 304 stainless, $195
ATT, 303 stainless, $195
Tatara, 303 stainless, $157
Blackbird, 303 stainless, $200

Out of that list Yates is the cheapest but it's made with the higher grade of stainless steel? (doesn't make sense)
And Carbon is the most expensive and it's also made with the highest grade of stainless? (makes sense)

So can someone tell me why I would pay a premium for an inferior razor material (in terms of rust resistance)?

Should this be a factor in a decision or am I overthinking this?

I get that but you look at a company like Razorock and it makes you question. I'm sure they have a bigger staff considering the high demand and they too are using 316 stainless on razors that cost less than $80.
I think if you're paying $200+ on a razor, it should be made of the highest grade.
Wolfman uses 316 and their a small operation!
Sounds to me like a way to make more money by cutting corners by these high end brands!
I know you went with ATT, but as others have said, people really stress over the various stainless steels. For razor manufacture one is just as good as another. The differences in cost and difficulty of machining is slight. 17-4 stainless is strongly magnetic, which makes it an interesting material to use. Precipitation hardening and passivation are two things that make a difference, but is rarely talked about or considered when choosing a razor. The type of stainless a razor is made from really should be at the bottom of the list of important considerations, right above the packaging the razor came in.

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
The differences in cost and difficulty of machining is slight. 17-4 stainless is strongly magnetic, which makes it an interesting material to use. Precipitation hardening and passivation are two things that make a difference, but is rarely talked about or considered when choosing a razor. The type of stainless a razor is made from really should be at the bottom of the list of important considerations, right above the packaging the razor came in.
Really? 17-4PH precipitation hardens up to 46 Rockwell, and most certainly is more difficult to machine than 303, which is not heat treatable. But that is a discussion for machinists, not operators.

~doug~

Well, I started searching for an aluminum razor. My next purchase was going to be the Karve CB aluminum since I like the brass version so much. But I love my ATT Windsor as well so started researching both. Well, I ordered this ATT aluminum razor:
ATT_alum.jpg

They currently only make it with the M1 plate which has a blade gap of 0.25 mm in this configuration. It runs for $96! They also have an "all blue" one that has a thin long handle that I don't like. The Bamboo handle above is 3.5"!
Now, since I want aggressiveness, I started searching for a way to make it happen. I pieced it together by buying the top cap "new", and the bamboo handle & H1 base plate (0.91 mm) as "scratch & dent's". In the end, I built it how I would want it and saved $$.
The reason I chose this ATT aluminum is because it's different to what I'm currently using. My Windsor has a blade gap of 0.80, my Karve is 0.98 and this one will be 0.91 (But it has more blade exposure as well which takes it to the top of ATT's aggression scale)!
And it's Made in the USA just like my Windsor!
The head design is like the Windsor and the parts are interchangeable. If I would have bought the Karve aluminum, the only difference would have been less weight but it would have shaved exactly like my Brass model. With this one, I now will be able to use and have 3 different razors to chose from. I'll post an update with pictures and a review when I get it next week.
LRod

Last edited:
I've been searching for an aluminum razor. My next purchase was going to be the Karve CB aluminum since I like the brass version so much. But I love my ATT Windsor as well so started researching both. Well, I ordered this ATT aluminum razor:
View attachment 1475499
They currently only make it with the M1 plate which has a blade gap of 0.25 mm in this configuration. It runs for $96! They also have an "all blue" one that has a thin long handle that I don't like. The Bamboo handle above is 3.5"!
Now, since I want aggressiveness, I started searching for a way to make it happen. I pieced it together by buying the top cap "new", and the bamboo handle & H1 base plate (0.91 mm) as "scratch & dent's". In the end, I built it how I would want it and saved $$.
The reason I chose this ATT aluminum is because it's different to what I'm currently using. My Windsor has a blade gap of 0.80, my Karve is 0.98 and this one will be 0.91 (But it has more blade exposure as well which takes it to the top of ATT's aggression scale)!
The head design is like the Windsor and the parts are interchangeable. If I would have bought the Karve aluminum, the only difference would have been less weight but it would have shaved exactly like my Brass model. With this one, I now will be able to use and have 3 different razors to chose from. I'll post an update with pictures and a review when I get it next week.
LRod
Dude, you got it baaaaaaaaaddddd!!

I sold three and bought one. After I receive the Yates, I’ll still be down by two. (From a total of five to three DEs. The OneBlade doesn’t count.)

So, Mr RAD, I mean @LRod , will you have some explaining to do to your better half?
The OneBlade doesn't count? Why, because it's only half a razor?
That's cheating! It's still a razor!!
Mental justification at it's finest!

Theoretical situation when I introduce it to my wife:
Well Honey, isn't it pretty?
That should explain it all...
I hope!!😢

Last edited:
Well, I started searching for an aluminum razor. My next purchase was going to be the Karve CB aluminum since I like the brass version so much. But I love my ATT Windsor as well so started researching both. Well, I ordered this ATT aluminum razor:
View attachment 1475499
LRod
Real talk though, Your SSRH plate should work in it too, giving you lots of franken' razor combinations!

Reactions: Kix
Really? 17-4PH precipitation hardens up to 46 Rockwell, and most certainly is more difficult to machine than 303, which is not heat treatable. But that is a discussion for machinists, not operators.

~doug~
You're right. I should have put a break in that paragraph.

17-4PH is such a pain to use that only three razor designs were ever made from it, and one of those only did so because they needed a magnetically reactive stainless steel. Three and four hundred series stainless is perfectly adequate for most razor designs.

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
View attachment 1475499
LRod

And................. were off to chase the rabbit, down the rabbit hole. We lost the rabbit, but found razors instead, ohhhhhh happy days! :letterk1:

From your post, it looks like your particular reasoning behind it, is trying out different blade gaps. And there goes the grasshopper, leaped off the leaf, straight down the lawn, leaping over the frog, and right down the rabbit hole, 0.91 sold to the LRod grasshopper hehe.😝

I too love made in USA goods, the majority of my razors are made in the USA! Having said that however, some other countries make good razors too. Which is why I had no qualms about ordering a Canadian razor a few minutes ago. Oh yes, you heard that correctly.

What? You didn't think I was going to let you have an aluminum razor and not me did you? I am one step ahead of you LRod, HEHE 😝 I still wouldn't mind owning a brass Karve CB razor like yours too. But my purchase choice was based on a need that I have.

Well, here's hoping that we both enjoy our new razors when they arrive! 😁

Top Bottom