What's new

Participation PIF - An Old Friend Returns

Vintage Schick Super Stainless Steel w/Krona Comfort Edge, Blade #1, Edge #1, Shave #12
Associated gear:
Semogue SOC Boar brush
Gillette Fatboy on #6

Today's shave showed that the Schick is still going strong. BBS after three passes and a little buffing. As usual, no drama. One blade edge, 6 razors, 12 shaves and counting. Great blade.

IMG_0271_1200x852.jpg

Twenty-fifth shave with the Schick Super Stainless Steel (w/Krona Comfort Edge) (Vintage) blade #1

Razor
: Fatip Lo Storto Originale (aka FOCS)
Brush: Fine Accoutrements Classic (20mm Angel Hair)
Soap: RazoRock Blue Label

The FOCS/Schick Super Stainless duo is still providing a top-notch shave.

The blade continues to remove stubble very efficiently and the smoothness and comfort are still phenomenally good. My three usual passes were all extremely quick and the entire shave probably qualifies as auto-pilot quality. In fact, all twenty-five outings, so far, have been effortless and trouble-free. Quite astonishing, really!

As before, I just needed a few buffing strokes along my jawline to complete another easy BBS. :thumbup1:

SOTD Schick Blade #2 Shave #6
Razor: Blackbird Ti
Blade: Schick Super Stainless (6)
Soap: MdC Fougere
Brush: Simpson M7 Super
Bowl: Captains Choice Copper
AS: Fine Clubhouse
580F4C15-C6C4-4195-B60A-BA06BAF2286D.jpeg

9.5/10 DFS
Well shave 6 was the shave again. A further decline in sharpness and now with this shave a decline in smoothness earned this blade a trip
to the bin.

That being said it delivered a perfectly good shave that simply wasn’t as comfortable as the rest. Without the excellent lather from MdC my opinion could have been different.

Again hitting 6 shaves with a blade is a record for me. I’m gonna go for 7
on the next blade but am going to take a few weeks with my new Blackbird Ti before doing so. Be back soon!

SOTD Schick Blade #2 Shave #6
Razor: Blackbird Ti
Blade: Schick Super Stainless (6)
Soap: MdC Fougere
Brush: Simpson M7 Super
Bowl: Captains Choice Copper
AS: Fine Clubhouse
View attachment 1475370
9.5/10 DFS
Well shave 6 was the shave again. A further decline in sharpness and now with this shave a decline in smoothness earned this blade a trip
to the bin.

That being said it delivered a perfectly good shave that simply wasn’t as comfortable as the rest. Without the excellent lather from MdC my opinion could have been different.

Again hitting 6 shaves with a blade is a record for me. I’m gonna go for 7
on the next blade but am going to take a few weeks with my new Blackbird Ti before doing so. Be back soon!
Have you ever tried KAI blades? I usually pitch my blades after 2 shaves. Not KAI, they last longer, but will give you extra blade exposure in the BB.

I bin between 2-3 shaves on a modern blade. I’ve not tried Kai. They are on the radar though. The idea of adding more blade exposure in a razor like the blackbird gives me some
I felt the same way until I tried it in my Carbon Ti which has way more blade feel than the BB Ti (I have them both). Blade definitely is wider (so more exposure), smoother than a feather and sharp. But somehow it holds up for more shaves in all my razors, a lot more… I just don’t push it.

I bin between 2-3 shaves on a modern blade. I’ve not tried Kai. They are on the radar though. The idea of adding more blade exposure in a razor like the blackbird gives me some pause. 😬
I will second the recommendation, I use them in my Ti95. Blade exposure is irrelevant in steep angle razors as you are pivoting off the safety bar and just have to re-learn the point where the blade makes contact. It pretty much automagic.

I felt the same way until I tried it in my Carbon Ti which has way more blade feel than the BB Ti (I have them both). Blade definitely is wider (so more exposure), smoother than a feather and sharp. But somehow it holds up for more shaves in all my razors, a lot more… I just don’t push it.
Definitely on the list then. Think I’ll head over to the great blade exchange.
I will second the recommendation, I use them in my Ti95. Blade exposure is irrelevant in steep angle razors as you are pivoting off the safety bar and just have to re-learn the point where the blade makes contact. It pretty much automagic.
Automagic!! :lol:

Mike M

...but this one IS cracked.
An old friend returns shave#28
IMG_20220616_120118_1.jpg

Razor: Muhle Rocca R94
Blade: Schick(28)
Soap: RR Don Marco
Brush: RR Beehive Brush

It finally happened, we had a good days weather in Ireland 🥳
Summer here usually means warmer rain so sun from morning to evening is a cause for celebration. In the spirit of celebration I broke out a brand new orange shower gel, ignoring the 9 bars of soap I have stockpiled (yes I have SAD for bar soap too).
The shave was another excuse to use RR Don Marco with that gorgeous orange scent. I scooped too much soap and spent forever lathering it in the bowl and was rewarded with an amazingly creamy lather. Got a beautiful shave from it and enjoyed it so much I had a clean-up pass on my neck and though I was only left with a near BBS I loved every second of it.

Definitely on the list then. Think I’ll head over to the great blade exchange.

Automagic!! :lol:
There is no doubt they just are a different blade and in the BB, it is somewhat negligible than in a razor like a carbon. Still, every time I pop one in it is a treat. My other blades are Nacet, Platinums, GSBs, yellow 7’oclock, Voshkod and Feather if you are wondering what blade types I mix in. I found that Kai make mild razors magic, medium razors more efficient yet smooth, and candidly, I usually need less buffing/touch ups with them. Just love them… and buy them from mens room barbershop (a B&B supporter) after I confirmed they were the real thing.

An old friend returns shave#28
View attachment 1475479
Razor: Muhle Rocca R94
Blade: Schick(28)
Soap: RR Don Marco
Brush: RR Beehive Brush

It finally happened, we had a good days weather in Ireland 🥳
Summer here usually means warmer rain so sun from morning to evening is a cause for celebration. In the spirit of celebration I broke out a brand new orange shower gel, ignoring the 9 bars of soap I have stockpiled (yes I have SAD for bar soap too).
The shave was another excuse to use RR Don Marco with that gorgeous orange scent. I scooped too much soap and spent forever lathering it in the bowl and was rewarded with an amazingly creamy lather. Got a beautiful shave from it and enjoyed it so much I had a clean-up pass on my neck and though I was only left with a near BBS I loved every second of it.
DON MARCO!!! What a great late Spring-summertime scent!!!

SCHICK SUPER STAINLESS STEEL BLADE #2, SHAVE #1

20220620_165026-02.jpeg

I decided to save shave no. 6 of the first blade for another day, since the ATT H2 basically requires a sharp blade (on my face). I enjoyed the debut shave of the second blade a lot. 2 stellar passes and my face was dolphin-like smooth.

Happy shaves!

Tue 21 Old Friend Returns Blade#1 Shave#7 - Wow...!!
Cream
TBS MacaRoot & Aloe
Brush Yaqi 24mm Aqua Tuxedo
Razor Yaqi DLC
Blade Shick Super Stainless 7th
Aftershaves Stirling Witchhazel MitA + TBS MacaRoot & Aloe Gel
Awesome qualities from the cream! Super nice scent with a rich creamy and slick lather...love this!!
Another wonderful shave with this excellent blade paired with one of my top razors. Very smooth and efficient in 3passes for a bbs finish..and no issues! The matching aftershave was just great...smell so good!
20220621_134456.jpg

Old friend Schick SS Blade #1, Shave #17
Razor: Yaqi DOC
Blade: Schick SS (17)
Brush: Stirling Tuxedo 24mm
Bowl: Captain’s Choice Copper
Soap: B&M 42
Witch Hazel
Aftershave: Bootlegger’s Perfecto Maduro

I was going to see how far I could take the blade in the Rockwell. But after 16 shaves I wanted another razor. The DOC produced a shave that was just as comfortable and injury free as the previous shaves. DFS+ and a happy face.

Top Bottom