What's new

Running out of soaps to try

After repeated bouts of SAD, I am starting to run out of new soaps to try. Is this the light at the end of the tunnel? Am I finally reaching the bottom of the soap rabbit hole?

Below is a list of all the things I have tried so far (often multiple scents of each). I dabbled in American artisans early on but decided to focus on European makers. This is mainly due to local availability and the high shipping costs from the states. I have also made the decision not to chase vintage or out of production soaps. As far as I'm concerned if they're gone they're gone. There are too many good current production soaps to worry about it. I am also not a fan of croaps.

Are there any must try soaps that I am missing? I have mixed feelings about reaching the end. In some ways it's a relief but it's also been a lot of fun playing around and trying different things.

Acca Kappa (on order)
Antica Barbieria Colla
Acqua di Parma
Ariana & Evans
Arko
Barrister and Mann
Baume BE
Castle Forbes
Czeck and Speak
DR Harris
Fitjar Islands
Floris (on order)
Gillette Sentive
Haslinger
Klar Seifen
La Troja (on order)
Lothur (on order)
Martin de Candre
Meisser Tremonia
Mike's Naturals
Mitchells's Woll Fat
Musgo Real
Nancy Boy
Palm Olive
Panna Crema Nuavia
Pre de Provence
Proraso
Razor Rock
Santa Maria Novella
Saponificio Varesino
Sebum Gold
Simpsons
Speick
Tabac
Taylor of Old Bond Street
Truefitt and Hill
Wholly Kaw
Zingari Man

Last edited:
Yeah going through this myself not quite as many as you but have a few more to try I reckon then will be happy
for me SV is leading the way

which are your top 3 ya reckon :)

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
La Savonnière du Moulin - pretty close to the old ABC hard soap in performance.
Gold Dachs
Boellis Panama - tallow almond croap
Carthusia (intense aquatic scent)
Joris/Thiers-Isaard - I think they’re the same maker
3P
Osma

La Savonnière du Moulin - pretty close to the old ABC hard soap in performance.
Gold Dachs
Boellis Panama - tallow almond croap
Carthusia (intense aquatic scent)
Joris/Thiers-Isaard - I think they’re the same maker
3P
Osma
Sounds like there’s still plenty of water to go under the bridge!

ABC lit me up like a Christmas tree and that experience has scared me off of the almond ones.

Last edited:
After repeated bouts of SAD, I am starting to run out of new soaps to try. Is this the light at the end of the tunnel? Am I finally reaching the bottom of the soap rabbit hole?

Below is a list of all the things I have tried so far (often multiple scents of each). I dabbled in American artisans early on but decided to focus on European makers. This is mainly due to local availability and the high shipping costs from the states. I have also made the decision not to chase vintage or out of production soaps. As far as I'm concerned if they're gone they're gone. There are too many good current production soaps to worry about it. I am also not a fan of croaps.

Are there any must try soaps that I am missing? I have mixed feelings about reaching the end. In some ways it's a relief but it's also been a lot of fun playing around and trying different things.

Acca Kappa (on order)
Antica Barbieria Colla
Acqua di Parma
Ariana & Evans
Arko
Barrister and Mann
Baume BE
Castle Forbes
Czeck and Speak
DR Harris
Fitjar Islands
Floris (on order)
Gillette Sentive
Haslinger
Klar Seifen
La Troja (on order)
Lothur (on order)
Martin de Candre
Meisser Tremonia
Mike's Naturals
Mitchells's Woll Fat
Musgo Real
Nancy Boy
Palm Olive
Panna Crema Nuavia
Pre de Provence
Proraso
Razor Rock
Santa Maria Novella
Saponificio Varesino
Sebum Gold
Simpsons
Speick
Tabac
Taylor of Old Bond Street
Truefitt and Hill
Wholly Kaw
Zingari Man
Did you miss Australian Private Reserve?
I think they might not still be in business unfortunately but I liked Fenchurch.

LEA Classic
Omega Via Barberia
Provence Sante
Theophile Berthon

Note that Osma has two completely different soaps, one with alum and the other called Tradition.

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
ABC lit me up like a Christmas tree and that experience has scared me off of the almond ones.

Which ABC? The old hard soap, the new hard soap, or the cream - which will become a hard soap if you leave the top off.

I ask because the new hard soap doesn’t have a traditional almond scent to my nose - which isn’t great.

Which ABC? The old hard soap, the new hard soap, or the cream - which will become a hard soap if you leave the top off.

I ask because the new hard soap doesn’t have a traditional almond scent to my nose - which isn’t great.
I tried the cream. It lathered beautifully and performed very well but my skin couldn’t take it. It has a very simple ingredient list and the balm didn’t give me any problems. I can only put it down to the fragrance.

I can't make any suggestions, as you really seem to have covered the A-Z of available soaps there...

I would be interested in your ranking of the top 3 or 5 of those, based on quality for straight shaves (if you are so inclined). :)
I started out looking for the best soap or a top three but I don’t really think in those terms anymore. Now there are only keepers and non-keepers. The following have treated me very well and I would replace them straight away if they ran out.

AdP
Baume
CF
DR Harris
MdC
MWF
SV
SMN

Top Bottom