What's new

Edwin Jagger Customer Service

While changing blades, my beloved Chatsworth threaded post snapped off in the handle. Have any Chatsworth users encountered this type of breakage? I sent an email to [email protected] as per Edwin Jagger - Contact Information - https://www.edwinjagger.com/shaving-products/contact-edwin-jagger a week ago and a follow-up email a few days later, but have yet to receive a response. Is this the official website, email for Edwin Jagger customer service or is it Safety Razors | Shaving Brushes | Edwin Jagger - https://www.edwinjagger.co.uk/en_gb/ ?

What I like most about the Chatsworth is the length and contour of the handle resulting in a well-balanced razor. Are there comparable models, either EJ or other vendors, that have this balance? Thanks!

Attachments

• Edwin Jagger Chatsworth Threaded Post Snapped Off Inside Handle.jpg
    Edwin Jagger Chatsworth Threaded Post Snapped Off Inside Handle.jpg
    359 KB · Views: 49

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
It can happen. Hasn't happened to me, but it has to a few Jagger users here. They sell replacement caps very cheap thpugh, either at that site, or at English Shaving, which is essentially the same company. I have had a cap thread wear out a few years ago, and now keep a spare base plate and two spare caps in the drawer, in case spares ever become unavailable.

The tricky part, is coaxing out the broken piece of stud, but I have seen people on here suggest supergluing something to the top of the broken piece, and using that to unscrew it. A males flat he added nail would be ideal. You want to ideally use something smaller than the original post, so you don't get glue on the threads of the handle.

I sent four times email to them about my Edwin Jagger EJ89 Gold plated with oxidized top cap.

Three times, no answer at all. Last time they answered me, asked for pictures. I sent pictures.

Now almost two weeks later, nothing happened. No answer. Absolutely nothing.

I want nothing for free, just the opportunity to buy a replacement part.

Nothing.

Attachments

• 20220606_080121.jpg
    20220606_080121.jpg
    916.2 KB · Views: 23

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Mine is about 4-5 years old.

Ahh. Mine is nearer 10 years old. Not a Chatsworth, but they all share the same heads (except the 3ONE6).

I just opened up my spare head, and the markings are on that one, so it must be an age thing. I only got that spare head within the last couple of years.

Iridian

Cool and slimy
Yes, they tend to break. Usually at the cap though.

Hm, threads not brass? Mühle upgraded, EJ apparently not.

But it does not seem to matter if they make the threads of brass or not, Mühle and Edwin Jagger razors made of zamac break usually at the cap. My first R41 died this way. Yours just broke apart totally, oh well.

Water getting under the chrome, cracks from falling on the floor or in the sink. Doesn't matter if the thread is bronze or not when it breaks away at the cap.

By now I noticed a trend: EJ and Mühle zamac razors. Has anyone seen a Merkur die this way yet? Or do Merkur users just suck it up? While fit and finish of Mühle is higher quality, their zamac razors don't seem as durable, unfortunately.

Suggestions:

1. Call Edwin Jagger. On the phone they might be more likely to render assistance. (and for what it is worth, Mühle wanted a photo of my broken cap and sent me a new one, so service could really bet better for EJ. But it was Germany to Germany, they might just turn a blind eye if you ask them from the USA and they are EJ UK, and rather leave it to the trader to solve that with you.)

or, I favor this one:

2. if they don't feel like replacing, this forum has a ton of handles and people can tell you local and internet sources to get a Chatham handle replacement in stainless steel and find a stainless steel replacement for the DE89 head. Unfortunately not even the Chinese bothered with a SS copy of the DE89 yet, but there are (IMO) better alternatives out there already, and they won't cost you overly much either.

Replacement parts are available for Muhle & Merkur razors. That's the most economical way to deal with the issue. The caps, base plates or entire heads can be purchased at reasonable cost.

The Muhle R89 heads shave the same as the EJ DE89 ones.

Welcome to B&B.
What I like most about the Chatsworth is the length and contour of the handle resulting in a well-balanced razor. Are there comparable models, either EJ or other vendors, that have this balance? Thanks!
You may be able to get that broken post out of the handle which then can be re-used with a new cap, ideally the Muhle cap which has a brass threaded post. Just make sure you don't damage the threading on the handle when getting the broken piece out.
For the same balance a new handle of similar weight will do the trick; any idea about the weight of the handle?
Looking at that photo, it has sheared at the high stress point where the handle abuts the base plate and at the root of one of the threads, so perhaps the handle was being done up too tight or too many drops. Hard to tell but most breaks involving corrosion of the zinc alloy are much more uneven. Having said all that, the broken end in the handle looks uneven so maybe not a stress fracture but just corrosion.
I regularly use machine oil to reduce friction on the threads and protect from corrosion.
I think you have the correct contact details, just give them a bit longer to reply. It is probably a good idea to send them a photo of the problem.
By now I noticed a trend: EJ and Mühle zamac razors. Has anyone seen a Merkur die this way yet? Or do Merkur users just suck it up? While fit and finish of Mühle is higher quality, their zamac razors don't seem as durable, unfortunately.
Merkur 34Cs used to have brass threaded post but recent production has switched to all zinc alloy post. However because the 34C, is a two piece razor, the base plate is crimped to the handle, there is usually less stress on that post in a drop. I have not read as many issues raised with the Merkur as with the ED DE89; perhaps that is an anecdotal comparison.
Merkur seem more unwilling to offer replacements than Edwin Jagger and usually point to poor maintenance to evade the issue. Thankfully the replacement caps are available online.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
For the same balance a new handle of similar weight will do the trick; any idea about the weight of the handle?

Not necessarily. The shape of the handle (that one and others) may shift the balance point somewhat. I've never owned one of the Chatsworth handles though, so cannot accurately comment on how high or low the centre of gravity is when assembled.

It can happen. Hasn't happened to me, but it has to a few Jagger users here. They sell replacement caps very cheap thpugh, either at that site, or at English Shaving, which is essentially the same company. I have had a cap thread wear out a few years ago, and now keep a spare base plate and two spare caps in the drawer, in case spares ever become unavailable.

The tricky part, is coaxing out the broken piece of stud, but I have seen people on here suggest supergluing something to the top of the broken piece, and using that to unscrew it. A males flat he added nail would be ideal. You want to ideally use something smaller than the original post, so you don't get glue on the threads of the handle.

Yes, I read about the incidents, but they were of other EJ models. The metal post snapped off inside the handle, so there's no coaxing it out without chipping away at the metal.

I sent four times email to them about my Edwin Jagger EJ89 Gold plated with oxidized top cap.

Three times, no answer at all. Last time they answered me, asked for pictures. I sent pictures.

Now almost two weeks later, nothing happened. No answer. Absolutely nothing.

I want nothing for free, just the opportunity to buy a replacement part.

Nothing.

Thanks for sharing your EJ CS experience. That's disheartening to hear after reading a number of glowing posts that they take care of their customers post-sale. I'm wondering if it's a known problem that's a result of companies shipping production overseas where corners are cut and QC is suspect. I've seen this play out ad nauseam where short-term cost-savings moves cost companies more in the long run with warranty claims, goodwill impairment, and loss of repeat business.

Reactions: edw

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Yes, I read about the incidents, but they were of other EJ models. The metal post snapped off inside the handle, so there's no coaxing it out without chipping away at the metal.

As I said above, you can try gluing something to the broken piece, to give yourself something to hold onto to unscrew it. Or, as Fred D suggested, the eraser on the end of a pencil, might give enough friction to turn it. A guy I used to work with, was a master at getting broken screws out, by chasing the screw around with the tip of a nail.

Unless the screw getting jammed was the cause of the stud snapping, you should be able to get it to unscrew, one way or another. Obviously if the handle was especially tight on the screw when it snapped, it may be a different story.

Yes, they tend to break. Usually at the cap though.

Hm, threads not brass? Mühle upgraded, EJ apparently not.

But it does not seem to matter if they make the threads of brass or not, Mühle and Edwin Jagger razors made of zamac break usually at the cap. My first R41 died this way. Yours just broke apart totally, oh well.

Water getting under the chrome, cracks from falling on the floor or in the sink. Doesn't matter if the thread is bronze or not when it breaks away at the cap.

Suggestions:

1. Call Edwin Jagger. On the phone they might be more likely to render assistance. (and for what it is worth, Mühle wanted a photo of my broken cap and sent me a new one, so service could really bet better for EJ. But it was Germany to Germany, they might just turn a blind eye if you ask them from the USA and they are EJ UK, and rather leave it to the trader to solve that with you.)

or, I favor this one:

2. if they don't feel like replacing, this forum has a ton of handles and people can tell you local and internet sources to get a Chatham handle replacement in stainless steel and find a stainless steel replacement for the DE89 head. Unfortunately not even the Chinese bothered with a SS copy of the DE89 yet, but there are (IMO) better alternatives out there already, and they won't cost you overly much either.

I've never dropped my Chatsworth and wipe it dry after each shave. I have a Merkur 23C, which was my first razor, and it still performs like a champ!

I'll give them a couple more days to respond before following up again.

I've never dropped my Chatsworth and wipe it dry after each shave. I have a Merkur 23C, which was my first razor, and it still performs like a champ!

I'll give them a couple more days to respond before following up again.

I'm just curious, do you disassemble the razor and wipe dry, or just wipe dry without any disassembly?

Just going by what I see online, it seems Edwin Jagger razors break this stud fairly often. Mine is about 8 1/2 years old with no problems, thankfully. But I do disassemble and towel dry all of my razors after using them. I know some say that's excessive, but it's just my way of taking care of my tools.

Welcome to B&B.

You may be able to get that broken post out of the handle which then can be re-used with a new cap, ideally the Muhle cap which has a brass threaded post. Just make sure you don't damage the threading on the handle when getting the broken piece out.
Looking at that photo, it has sheared at the high stress point where the handle abuts the base plate and at the root of one of the threads, so perhaps the handle was being done up too tight or too many drops. Hard to tell but most breaks involving corrosion of the zinc alloy are much more uneven. Having said all that, the broken end in the handle looks uneven so maybe not a stress fracture but just corrosion.
I regularly use machine oil to reduce friction on the threads and protect from corrosion.
I think you have the correct contact details, just give them a bit longer to reply. It is probably a good idea to send them a photo of the problem.

Merkur 34Cs used to have brass threaded post but recent production has switched to all zinc alloy post. However because the 34C, is a two piece razor, the base plate is crimped to the handle, there is usually less stress on that post in a drop. I have not read as many issues raised with the Merkur as with the ED DE89; perhaps that is an anecdotal comparison.
Merkur seem more unwilling to offer replacements than Edwin Jagger and usually point to poor maintenance to evade the issue. Thankfully the replacement caps are available online.

Thanks for the welcome and insights. The Chatsworth handle with the lodged post weighs 36 g. The head plates weigh 29 g. The spec weight for the razor is 65 g. I'm particular with all my tools, and the Chatsworth is the best balanced razor I've held to date. I own many knives and am a golfer, so getting the right weights, frequencies, PUREing and FLOing shafts is personal in one's craft.

Top Bottom