What's new

Best razor across the grain on neck?

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
Shaving across the grain on my neck is progressively more and more challenging as my skin sags. I can pull it taut but still have challenges. Does anyone here have a particular razor that they find better than others for that pass? Does anyone find slants better (or worse) at it, and, if so, which slant(s)? BTW, I have tried steep angle, shallow angle, slide, etc.

Shaving across the grain on my neck is progressively more and more challenging as my skin sags. I can pull it taut but still have challenges. Does anyone here have a particular razor that they find better than others for that pass? Does anyone find slants better (or worse) at it, and, if so, which slant(s)? BTW, I have tried steep angle, shallow angle, slide, etc.
I think either the Henson or the Winning Razor would be your best bet for shaving saggy skin. The reason is they have a very short guard span and no safety bar to speak of. That means less chance of skin bunching up into the blade path. Here is a picture from the Henson website to explain what I am talking about.

Henson guard span.JPG

I prefer the Winning razor but others prefer the Henson. Either should provide a more comfortable shave for you.

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
When I was younger (1960s) I used a Schick injector. In the 1970s and 1980s I tried Gillettes. In the 1990s and early 2000s it was Merkur. I had a brief affair with a Feather AS-D2 and then discovered the Above the Tie Windsor. I got fine results with all of them. Then about three years ago Noom took me from 185, sometimes more, to 155, sometimes less. Without excess me in my skin, the under the jaw area is simply more loose and therefore harder to shave than it used to be. The ATT will get it all, but it just takes an awful lot more time and effort than it used to, especially in the hollows on either side of the windpipe. Definitely a first world problem, but as a 73 year old retiree I need to obsess over something, and it is too hot for golf.

Eben Stone

Staff member
I have problems in that same area, but with a straight razor. After watching many YouTube videos, I realized most of the guys I'm watching weight about 100 lbs more than me and their neck is flat and mine looks like heat shrink tubing over a wiring harness.

Have you tried a variety of blades?

Do you literally mean *across* the gran? Or against the grain?

I used to be obsessed with the against the grain pass. My goal was first pass ATG. I tried it with R41, Ikon Tek, Blackland Dart, Henson medium, Henson aggressive, Karve CB OC-E, Gillette Tech, Gillette Old Type, RazoRock Hawk V3-OC, and a few others not worth mentioning.

In my limited experience, the Henson is king of against the grain. I now use Henson aggressive, with Nacet, London Bridge, or Kai, with very wet lather, and can achieve a fantastic very close and negative irritation shave. First pass mustache ATG is drama free walk in the park. Unless you like drama, then it's like a walk in the park with Paris Hilton.

I'm sure there any many other razors that can achieve the same results. I would suggest a razor that has a rigid design, something that clamps the blade very close to the cutting edge.

I've mentioned a lot about against the grain. If you really meant across the grain I'm sure the same results would apply, since across is typically much easier than against.

Last edited:

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
I
I have problems in that same area, but with a straight razor. After watching many YouTube videos, I realized most of the guys I'm watching weight about 100 lbs more than me and their neck is flat and mine looks like heat shrink tubing over a wiring harness.

Have you tried a variety of blades?

Do you literally mean *across* the gran? Or against the grain?

I used to be obsessed with the against the grain pass. My goal was first pass ATG. I tried it with R41, Ikon Tek, Blackland Dart, Henson medium, Henson aggressive, Karve CB OC-E, Gillette Tech, Gillette Old Type, RazoRock Hawk V3-OC, and a few others not worth mentioning.

In my limited experience, the Henson is king of against the grain. I use Nacet, London Bridge, or Kai, with very wet lather, and can achieve a fantastic very close and negative irritation shave. First pass mustache ATG is drama free walk in the park. Unless you like drama, then it's like a walk in the park with Paris Hilton.

I'm sure there any many other razors that can achieve the same results. I would suggest a razor that has a rigid design, something that clamps the blade very close to the cutting edge.
I meant across. Against the grain is easy under the jaw line and largely catches whatever across the grain missed. My ATT seems to clamp well. It does against the grain on the upper lip just fine. I am that odd duck who just never experiences irritation. I suppose if I used a horrible blade I could have a wretched shave, but it still would not be physically irritating.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I

I meant across. Against the grain is easy under the jaw line and largely catches whatever across the grain missed. My ATT seems to clamp well. It does against the grain on the upper lip just fine. I am that odd duck who just never experiences irritation. I suppose if I used a horrible blade I could have a wretched shave, but it still would not be physically irritating.
I do just a 2 pass shave WTG + ATG with pickups and It works for myself. The pickups I will go XTG pass if needed.
It makes sense to keep the gap small it you are getting a wave effect of your lose skin in front of the blade edge because you will pinch and nick the skin & flesh possibly as you already are feeling. Big gap has some drawbacks for this pinching lose skin possibly? A even lighter touch possibly than you are already have been using over the last few years?

Last edited:
Top Bottom