What's new

I just ordered a "Made in the USA" SCS-Model A Razor!

My take on the SCS Model T Razor.
Got it early today & put a Treet Platinum blade in that was aligned perfectly like all good Razors should be.
The razor was smooth on the face & soap. No face drag here.
Got a nice close three pass shave with a couple touchups on my neck area. It was very very close to a BBS shave for me & I mean CLOSE. :w00t: I could feel the blade but not much.
Not much more that I can think of from what @LRod , @Grundi & @RenoRichard have already said.

My take on the SCS Model T Razor.
Got it early today & put a Treet Platinum blade in that was aligned perfectly like all good Razors should be.
The razor was smooth on the face & soap. No face drag here.
Got a nice close three pass shave with a couple touchups on my neck area. It was very very close to a BBS shave for me & I mean CLOSE. :w00t: I could feel the blade but not much.
Not much more that I can think of from what @LRod , @Grundi & @RenoRichard have already said.
Awesome!

When I first saw LRod's post with photos I thought the handle looked familiar. I got the same TRC e-mail today and that's when it hit me. TRC has had this available for a while now. I did not bite at the time because I could not find any reviews. You guys are a bad influence.

I did not receive any communication from the seller, but I didn't log into Etsy. I just went the Paypal route.

@LRod , @Grundi riding the cap or safety bar?
Thanks for the great reviews! Looking at getting one.
I was riding the gap, in between between cap and bar, and getting an amazing shave. This morning, I tried to prejudice the angle toward the cap. When I did, some of the blade feel disappeared, but most of the efficiency remained. I still got a weeper, though. This razor is giving me consistently close shaves, almost...almost...too close, it's riding that line.

Quick update:
I hadn't used the SCS since the last shave report I gave 2 weeks ago. I decided to use it tonight!
Strange that I didn't get the same result as last time. Only thing I can think of is that I've been using and ultra efficient/aggressive razor this week! (The ATT aluminum/stainless 0.91 that I bought)
Maybe it's possible that my growth is not what it would be with less aggressive razors after 1 day. I don't know!
Point is that 2 things happened that I didn't like:
1. It cut me, LOL!! I really thought that this would be the razor to never do this. I haven't gotten a cut in months!
I believe that the fact that it has zero blade feel contributed to this. With blade feel, I feel and hear what's happening. Without that sound and blade feel, I feel like I have less control. So those 2 things + the super light weight, probably made me push excessively.
2. I always do 2 passes WTG/XTG. Tonight I had to do my second pass with my ATT Windsor 0.80
I felt my face after the first pass and knew that the result I was looking for would have to be with a third pass. So decided to just finish the shave with my ATT.
So that's that!
Back in the drawer it goes.
I guess I'll have to retry again at another point!

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
Quick update:
I hadn't used the SCS since the last shave report I gave 2 weeks ago. I decided to use it tonight!
Strange that I didn't get the same result as last time. Only thing I can think of is that I've been using and ultra efficient/aggressive razor this week! (The ATT aluminum/stainless 0.91 that I bought)
Maybe it's possible that my growth is not what it would be with less aggressive razors after 1 day. I don't know!
Point is that 2 things happened that I didn't like:
1. It cut me, LOL!! I really thought that this would be the razor to never do this. I haven't gotten a cut in months!
I believe that the fact that it has zero blade feel contributed to this. With blade feel, I feel and hear what's happening. Without that sound and blade feel, I feel like I have less control. So those 2 things + the super light weight, probably made me push excessively.
2. I always do 2 passes WTG/XTG. Tonight I had to do my second pass with my ATT Windsor 0.80
I felt my face after the first pass and knew that the result I was looking for would have to be with a third pass. So decided to just finish the shave with my ATT.
So that's that!
Back in the drawer it goes.
I guess I'll have to retry again at another point!

I am really sorry to hear that Rod! I know what that feels like though, I've been through that with my razors. So many factors come into play when it comes to why a razor cuts you. Sometimes its because the blade has gone dull. Sometimes its because you messed up your angle, or like you said, applied too much pressure. Sometimes, its because you screwed up with your lather, and it was too dry, not hydgrated enough, or not enough lather on your face and neck.

At the end of the day, only you can figure out what you did wrong, and it appears you believe it was due to applying pressure, and that might have indeed been the case. But, the only razor that I have in my arsenal, that can be used as if it had auto pilot engaged, is my Henson AL13 Medium. You may want to look into getting that razor, if you'd like a care free shave without worry.

Thanks for your updated report, I appreciate the information in which you provide, as it helps other's make informed purchasing decisions. Or, if other's have the razor already, they can learn from your post, on what they need to do, or in this case, not do, to becoming more proficient with said razor.

I am really sorry to hear that Rod! I know what that feels like though, I've been through that with my razors. So many factors come into play when it comes to why a razor cuts you. Sometimes its because the blade has gone dull. Sometimes its because you messed up your angle, or like you said, applied too much pressure. Sometimes, its because you screwed up with your lather, and it was too dry, not hydgrated enough, or not enough lather on your face and neck.

At the end of the day, only you can figure out what you did wrong, and it appears you believe it was due to applying pressure, and that might have indeed been the case. But, the only razor that I have in my arsenal, that can be used as if it had auto pilot engaged, is my Henson AL13 Medium. You may want to look into getting that razor, if you'd like a care free shave without worry.

Thanks for your updated report, I appreciate the information in which you provide, as it helps other's make informed purchasing decisions. Or, if other's have the razor already, they can learn from your post, on what they need to do, or in this case, not do, to becoming more proficient with said razor.
Thanks but I had the Winning razor already which is the same as the Henson. No more mild razors for me, LOL!
With my aggressive razors I feel control. I need that blade feel! I've had zero issues with all my other razors and feel totally comfortable using them.
I bought the SCS primarily to support that small USA business, to possibly use it as my travel razor and of course to experiment with something else new. I didn't buy it for daily use. But I've only had 3 shaves with it so at some point I'll bring it out again for a shave.
LRod

First shave with it, using a Nacet blade. It went very well. I went easy to get used to a new tool and wasn't going for BBS, but got it on my cheeks at least. I did mostly very short strokes/buffing, which is how I shave with the Henson. So far, so good.

Last edited:
4 Questions about the SCS, versus the Henson:
1-
Does the SCS provide a no brainer drama free shave, exactly like the Henson (mild/medium)...or does it require some degree of attention to avoid a cut?
It appears to have much more blade exposure than the Henson, from the youtube reviews I watched. Blade exposure sometimes leads to blade chatter, unless the blade is clamped really well.
2-Does the SCS have any blade chatter?
3-
Does the SCS have more blade feel than the Henson?
4-
Is the SCS closer in efficiency to the Henson Mild, Henson Medium or Henson Aggressive?

My initial opinions, take them for what you paid for them...

1. No brainer, drama free shave
  2. Not that I know of, it seems to clamp the blade very well. But I can't feel chatter and wonder how others believe they can. Yes, you can see more of the blade from the top, but I don't think there is much blade exposure on the cutting plane at all
  3. Perhaps a little bit more blade feel. Also a relatively larger range of angles that will cut. The Henson mild and even medium pretty much have one angle and they guide you to it.
  4. Closer to the mild, in my limited experience
At $45 and supporting a person who designs and builds a unique razor, why not? :)

Last edited:
I bought the TRC version of the SCS razor. Same price and same free shipping as Etsy and I had some TRC reward dollars to use. Just got it today; looking forward to the first shave tomorrow morning.

I see it's marked TRC level 1, what markings does the SCS version have?

20220811_130310.jpg

20220811_130003.jpg

I bought the TRC version of the SCS razor. Same price and same free shipping as Etsy and I had some TRC reward dollars to use. Just got it today; looking forward to the first shave tomorrow morning.

View attachment 1503149
View attachment 1503150
The SCS has no markings of any levels (neither on the razor nor the box).
It just says on the razor "Made in USA & SCS Model A". Sounds to me like "Level 1" is kind of just the model name just like "Model A" on the SCS. Then again, it could be possible though that they come out with a more agressive model and Level 1 would be the "first" model before those other ones come out. Who knows!

View attachment 1503149
View attachment 1503150
Forgot to add! You can see my pictures of it here for comparison on post #1:

Forgot to add! You can see my pictures of it here for comparison on post #1:

That's quite a razor support system in that box. The TRC razor is just wrapped in tissue paper inside the TRC box. That box is then surrounded by packing peanuts inside a sturdy shipping box along with TRC papers, stickers, and thank you card.

That's quite a razor support system in that box. The TRC razor is just wrapped in tissue paper inside the TRC box. That box is then surrounded by packing peanuts inside a sturdy shipping box along with TRC papers, stickers, and thank you card.
I guess it's nice because you're buying it direct from the person who makes them. I'm sure that they sell them to TRC for less and in order to make a profit they need to save money somehow. It is a nice packaging system for sure!

Impressed with the first shave!

Can't help but compare it to the Henson....I enjoyed shaving with it more than the Henson. It's just as mild as an AL13 but with a little more efficiency, it gave me a final result as good if not better than the medium ++ Henson, and with zero irritation. Has a greater range of angles but seems to prefer slightly steep more than riding the cap. Does not rinse as quickly and easily as the Henson, especially the new V2 Henson, but is fine. I wish the lower half of the handle had some texturing but I didn't have any problems with it slipping.

This would be a great daily driver/autopilot razor/beginner razor.

I'll use a sharper blade next time. I bet it would be great with a Silver Blue. Shave result could rival even more expensive razors.

I expect the price to go up, it's underpriced in the market. I think it would still sell well at $50 when it's compared to the competition.

I think some people are put off by its appearance. Doesn't bother me, I have some beautiful razors, this one is simply more function over form.

I've sold my Henson's but this TRC/SCS is a keeper. I'll add that my wife loves her Henson's; she has two of them.

Pic for Arko August -

20220812_054236.jpg

Top Bottom