What's new

Our 2nd, 10-Week B&B Bullseye Session Starts on May 30, 2022

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
IMHO hand feel is extremely important. Glad to hear you had a great set of choices. You might want to put a few hundred rounds through it before changing the trigger pull to give yourself a comparison point. Have fun!

Rumor has it a Heddis Flip will give me # 2.5 on the stock trigger? I could live with that?

OkieStubble

So Rob, are you going to need a red dot? If so, what are you considering?

I dunno? Only know dots for combat firearms which cost quite a bit. Probably follow suit from reading everyone’s posts here and get a Burris fast fire or something. Any suggestions?

I’m looking at rails right now, sitting in the passenger seat of my wife’s car while she is speeding us thru Kansas on the way to Colorado. :)

I dunno? Only know dots for combat firearms which cost quite a bit. Probably follow suit from reading everyone’s posts here and get a Burris fast fire or something. Any suggestions?

I’m looking at rails right now, sitting in the passenger seat of my wife’s car while she is speeding us thru Kansas on the way to Colorado. :)
When you order rails for a Buckmark you have to make sure they are going to fit. You'll need the pistol's model number because Browning releases lots of variations on a common theme. You won't find the model number on the pistol. It should be on the box/case it came in.

OkieStubble

When you order rails for a Buckmark you have to make sure they are going to fit. You'll need the pistol's model number because Browning releases lots of variations on a common theme. You won't find the model number on the pistol. It should be on the box/case it came in.

My daddy always told me if I want to make sure I’m doing something right, find someone who looks like they are doing it right and copy/follow them.

What RDS do you have on top of your Buckmark? :)

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
I have both a Burris FastFire III and a Vortex Venom. I can't say that I have a strong preference for one over the other. They both work at somewhat similar price points.

My daddy always told me if I want to make sure I’m doing something right, find someone who looks like they are doing it right and copy/follow them.

What RDS do you have on top of your Buckmark? :)
I have a Vortex Venom Red Dot with a 3MOA dot. It's working very well for me. Vortex customer service is outstanding and the sight has a lifetime, no questions asked guarantee. Vortex sent me a new mount at no charge when I discovered the mount on their sight wouldn't work with my rail. All they wanted from me was the full model info from the pistol's box. They called me the day after it was delivered to make sure the new mount fit my rail.

OkieStubble

I have both a Burris FastFire III and a Vortex Venom. I can't say that I have a strong preference for one over the other. They both work at somewhat similar price points.

What about Sig’s Zero? Holosun has some cool dots?

Last edited:

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
While my SIG Romeo has been OK on a PCC, seems to me I had heard the SIG Zero was not up to speed, but I have no firsthand knowledge. Isn't the Holosun a bit bigger than either the FF or VV? I dunno?

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Looks like I was off a bit on the price points, Burris is the cheaper, Holosun the more expensive with Vortex in the middle. SIG Zero rated 3.6 in Optic Planet reviews.

OkieStubble

While my SIG Romeo has been OK on a PCC, seems to me I had heard the SIG Zero was not up to speed, but I have no firsthand knowledge. Isn't the Holosun a bit bigger than either the FF or VV? I dunno?

Sig’s zero isn’t up to speed for an EDC, but .22 target pistol? Holosun is putting out some pretty small micro dots now.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Sig’s zero isn’t up to speed for an EDC, but .22 target pistol? Holosun is putting out some pretty small micro dots now.

While it's not a life-or-death issue, the amount of time (currently) spent using a target pistol, expending ammo that is harder to come by when using quality fodder, I don't want an optic that's not pretty reliable or has me second guessing why I'm not hitting the target or getting the small groups I want. If money were no object, I'm not sure which red dot sight I'd get. I know I personally don't want anything on the larger size, nor do I want anything smaller than what I currently use. YMMV. For a target pistol, I'm not interested in any reticle other than a 3 MOA dot. I don't need "shake awake" or a bunch of other options, again, YMMV. As mentioned in another thread on red dots, I feel the Burris FF III hits a sweet spot of cost and reliable functionality, as does the Vortex Venom for just a bit more. I'm sure there are other viable candidates out there. My Trijicon RMR, while much more expensive and rugged, did not provide any better sight picture or ease of use than my FF or VV. They are all 3-3.5 MOA dots and provide the same shooting experience IMHO.

Never done it before. Figuring flat targets in backyard to start.
You can spend a fortune on this before you know it. Should sound familiar... IMHO... Read up on recurve and compound bows. If you decide on a compound bow check out the Genesis Gen-X bow. It's a great starter bow for older kids and adults. Poundage is very adjustable. Make sure the arrows you buy are long enough. By both from an archery shop. They'll adjust / tune both for you. Recurves are also a fine way to go. Less expensive too. Again, go to an archery store. Your gear has to fit you. If you buy a recurve 20 to 35 pounds is a good weight for a first bow. Have fun!

OkieStubble

While it's not a life-or-death issue, the amount of time (currently) spent using a target pistol, expending ammo that is harder to come by when using quality fodder, I don't want an optic that's not pretty reliable or has me second guessing why I'm not hitting the target or getting the small groups I want. If money were no object, I'm not sure which red dot sight I'd get. I know I personally don't want anything on the larger size, nor do I want anything smaller than what I currently use. YMMV. For a target pistol, I'm not interested in any reticle other than a 3 MOA dot. I don't need "shake awake" or a bunch of other options, again, YMMV. As mentioned in another thread on red dots, I feel the Burris FF III hits a sweet spot of cost and reliable functionality, as does the Vortex Venom for just a bit more. I'm sure there are other viable candidates out there. My Trijicon RMR, while much more expensive and rugged, did not provide any better sight picture or ease of use than my FF or VV. They are all 3-3.5 MOA dots and provide the same shooting experience IMHO.

Great post big daddy. ;)

So Burris FF and VV will be on the top of my RDS list to look at. :)

Top Bottom