What's new

Russia made blades questions

The reverse for me where no Russian blades have worked out for me (except Astra green).
I stick to Bic (Greece) and Feather (Japan).
Now I'm gonna have to try Kai after reading this thread 🤨

Does anyone know for sure if the PPI plant was shut down? It produces many other cartridges and disposable razors for the Russian market.
I read the following;
"Procter & Gamble will suspend all media, advertising and promotional activity in Russia in response to its invasion of Ukraine, CEO Jon Moeller said in a note to employees that was later published online. The consumer packaged goods giant is also halting new capital investments in the country"
I suppose they are trying to extricate themselves from the Russian market but the production lines are continuing. The PPI plant has a capacity for 850 million blades a year so trasferring the production to their other plants will take time.
As for cartridges and disposal razors, I am not sure what is happening on that front.

there's a blade factory in solingen selling under various brands.
souplex and i believe, also merkur.
excellent stainless blades.

souplex blade-MD4_8607s.jpg

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
Shark Platinum
Sharp Titanium
Lord Silver Star
Timor Stainless Steel
Wilkinson Sword
Gillette Wilkinson Sword
Derby Premium
Personna Israeli Red
Bic Astor
Lord Platinum
Gillette 7 O'clock Super Platinum
Kai
Lord Asco

Last edited:

Fred D

Member of The Illiterati
I like KAI, Feather, 7'Oclock Black. However, I already have many blades made in Russia that I like also. I definitely have more blades than years left to use them, so I'll not be buying any more blades for the rest of my life.

My only regret is not stocking up on Tabac soap before the formula change.
😁

The reverse for me where no Russian blades have worked out for me (except Astra green).
I stick to Bic (Greece) and Feather (Japan).
Now I'm gonna have to try Kai after reading this thread 🤨
KAI blades were my last DE blade before I switched to straight razors. Just could not stop moving to more and more aggressive blades. I found that KAI's were smoother than Feather blades and just as sharp.

Now I am using only French, German, English and American straight razors. All straights from now on.

KAI blades were my last DE blade before I switched to straight razors. Just could not stop moving to more and more aggressive blades. I found that KAI's were smoother than Feather blades and just as sharp.

Now I am using only French, German, English and American straight razors. All straights from now on.
Cool!
I respect you straight razor users.
It's an art!
I don't think I'll ever get to that because I like taking time to shave but not too much "focused attention" time. And I love using DE's + I don't seek BBS shaves since I don't like going ATG.
I'll be ordering a tuck of Kai's this week to give them a shot. I like "blade forward" and like Feather blades, so I think they'll suit me well.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
None of the three major blade manufacturers in the world are located in Russia. Each of these manufacturers has 10 or more models currently available. That probably gives you 50 or more to choose from.
Thiers Issard (France)
Dovo (Germany)
Gold Dollar (China)

there's a blade factory in solingen selling under various brands.
souplex and i believe, also merkur.
excellent stainless blades.

View attachment 1468775
Feintechnik Eisfeld is a privat label producer. Timor and Croma are definitely from them and I suspect Merkur, Dovo and Mühle as well. As soon as you see eisgehärtet/ ice tempered on the tuck it’s them.

Their own brand Harrys only sells cartridges.

Great list!!

Some of my personal favorites:
Personna: Labs and Med Preps from US, the Israeli options (still available) and the newer EU versions
Lord: especially Silver Stars and Sharks
Dorco Prime
Indian Gillettes
Kai

Yesterday and today I had two really great shaves with a Gillette Silver Blue DE blade and I decided I should make a bulk blade purchase as I only had 4 more blades in the tuck. So I went searching for a sleeve of the blades and it seems that most of the usual vendors that I have used (and many that I haven't) have very little in the way of Gillette blades made in Russia. When I did find some, the prices seemed high. I found some on Ebay for less than $14 a sleeve so I bought three. It just makes me wonder are they selling out due to shavers fears of not being able to get the blades, are the blades becoming difficult to get, are the venders making a political stand or are they possibly being pressured to discontinue selling products made in Russia? Has anyone else noticed the same? Please let us not turn this into a discussion of what we individually think of Russia's special military operation in Ukraine. It will only result in this thread being closed and a nastygram in your mailbox from one of our hard working moderators.

Perma-Sharps on Amazon for $10 per 100. I‘ve bought 500 over the past three weeks. Excellent shipping, and an excellent shave. Averaging 10-14 shaves per blade. Cheers.

Top Bottom