What's new

Does anyone here shave outside their bathroom?

Hi folks! Does anyone have a set up outside their bathroom that they shave? I only have one bathroom in my apartment, and it’s never been a big issue as I’ve typically gotten ready for work well before my wife, but recently she’s had to get up earlier, and I feel like it might make more sense to be out of way as soon as I finish showering. I was thinking about setting up a small table with a basin and pitcher somewhere else.

There would also be the added bonus of a non foggy mirror and more natural light (thinking about putting it in front of some windows.)

Anyone done this? How do you like it.

Well, it seems I was highly motivated. This is what I was able to throw together in an hour or so. Perhaps I should have tried it out before moving everything, but, well, here we are. Looking forward to tomorrow morning!

7EB0958B-7175-4242-B348-3B878DA28F8E.jpeg

FAD91FA3-675D-4BEB-8213-38F5A5162629.jpeg

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Well, it seems I was highly motivated. This is what I was able to throw together in an hour or so. Perhaps I should have tried it out before moving everything, but, well, here we are. Looking forward to tomorrow morning!

View attachment 1473924

View attachment 1473926
You have a similar arrangement to what I use, except I have running H&C water and a drain. My handbasin is located in the laundry that is next to my shower room.

IMG_20220612_180710.jpg

I see multiple Stirling Sheep base soaps and a Canada Shaving Soap, good choices!

You have a similar arrangement to what I use, except I have running H&C water and a drain. My handbasin is located in the laundry that is next to my shower room.

Very nice. If I really like the set up, I might get a cheap sink / cabinet combo from Lowes or something and just have a bucket for the drain. Sadly, no easy way to get running water, but I should be able to carry a pitcher every morning.

In pre-modern plumbing days, this was how they did it...
complete with candle-stick holders (not sure about whose
granny's belly is reflected in the mirror).

View attachment 1473931
That was my inspiration. Though it never got used, my mother kept a basin and pitcher on her dresser. Didn’t figure that out till I’d watched more period piece movies. I suspect this will work nicely, but we’ll see.

That was my inspiration. Though it never got used, my mother kept a basin and pitcher on her dresser. Didn’t figure that out till I’d watched more period piece movies. I suspect this will work nicely, but we’ll see.
There seem to be plenty of vintage shave stands/basins on
auction sites and perhaps at local antique shops...if you feel so inclined.

There seem to be plenty of vintage shave stands/basins on
auction sites and perhaps at local antique shops...if you feel so inclined.
Vintage / antique sounds outside my pay grade, but I’ll take a look. I could certainly make a table that had a recessed holder for the basin and towel bars, though it would be unlikely to look as nice as the one you posted.

To put it another way, I’m better at woodworking than the tools that I have, but I’m not the greatest woodworker, and the tools I have are few.

I was staying as an air B&B where the bathroom was too tight and cramped. I set up next to a big mirror with side board in the hallway. With a lather bowl and a sponge to wipe the SR clean it was not a problem. Rinsed face in the utility sink.

Yes but not very often. I shaved in the kitchen using a portable shaving mirror that came as part of a gift set. That was ok.

I’ve actually been staying at a holiday cottage (converted farm building) this last week, which has a sink in one of the bedrooms and a shaving mirror attached to the wall. It’s been handy as there’s only one bathroom in the cottage.

Not willingly any more. Plenty of deployment shaves in the field, in the gym after PT, using a HUMVEE mirror, or at a FOB. Can’t say any of these shaves were particularly enjoyable or great. Nowadays, its strictly the bathroom.

Vintage / antique sounds outside my pay grade, but I’ll take a look. I could certainly make a table that had a recessed holder for the basin and towel bars, though it would be unlikely to look as nice as the one you posted.

To put it another way, I’m better at woodworking than the tools that I have, but I’m not the greatest woodworker, and the tools I have are few.
I cursory glance at everyone's "favorite" auction site revealed shaving basins/stands at every budget from $100-$15,000...

Thanks for opening the new rabbit hole.
1. Where can we find these?
2. How many colours available?
3. How soon before prices go through the roof?

Seriously, I could shave in front of that quite happily.
I cursory glance at everyone's "favorite" auction site revealed shaving basins/stands at every budget from $100-$15,000...
I’m holding out for the £20,000 titanium replica.

Top Bottom