What's new

Care of the Henson razor between shaves

The web site for Henson razors say that between shaves you should loosen the the head 1 1/2 turns until the blade is not bent. Ya know, I don't like doing that. I'm afraid I will forget to tighten before I shave again and cut the crap out of myself. Or, someone may brush against it with all that extra blade exposure and cut themself. Ok, so maybe I'm being paranoid, but is thes really necessary? I've never done it with my other razors, Techs, EJ's, ect. I realize the blade is bent more extremely and securely in the Henson, but still. Anyone have thoughts on this?
Thank you, help is always appreciated.

I used a Henson for months before I noticed that on the web site, and I never had a problem. I don't think the little instruction card that came with it said anything about that, just to give it a quick clean with a toothbrush when you change blades.

I did start loosening it when I saw that on the web site. A couple shaves later, it started much rougher shave than expected compared to the previous shave with the same blade until I realized - you guessed it - I forgot to tighten it back up. So you're not being paranoid, either! (And I haven't loosened it between shaves since.)

I don't have a Henson, but I remove blades between shaves and put them on magnets that are attached to a metal storage caddy next to my sink. There are 4 magnets (4 shaves per blade; after the first shave the blade goes on the first magnet, after second shave second magnet, etc.). The magnets are out of common reach so it would be hard to accidentally cut yourself (though caution is always warranted, of course).

Wow, that's a smart way to track it, @StewB! I bought a set of RPG dice, so for most DE blades I use a 4 or 6-sided die to track the 4 shaves. I use a more-sided die when I am using an injector where I get 12-14 shaves/blade.

I started opening the Henson more than 1 1/2 turns. Much easier to see it’s not tight so less tempting to shave with it. At 1 1/2 turns it still looks tight - unfortunately. I have gotten in the habit on doing that with all de razors.

enjoyed my henson, great razor, ultimately got an offer and sold it.
cannot fathom why the need to relax the blade just on their razors??
perhaps due to the unique flat-top geometry of their head?

proraso blue kent henso9n aqua velva ice sport november 26 2020.jpg

I take my blade out after each shave and put it in an opened up TTO that rests in a mug next to my shaving gear. I then rinse the razor, pat it dry, and put it back together just until the threads catch. Not being completely tightened I feel better about it air drying.

Reactions: Kix
I started opening the Henson more than 1 1/2 turns. Much easier to see it’s not tight so less tempting to shave with it. At 1 1/2 turns it still looks tight - unfortunately. I have gotten in the habit on doing that with all de razors.
The Henson AL head and/or base plate can flip around like a propeller when being rinsed under a stream of water. TI and SS don’t seem to do this. Only AL razor I have is Henson.

Reminded today of why I love my DEs and especially my Henson. I'm traveling with carryon luggage and didn't want to worry about having to find a blade so I packed my Mach 3. Shaved with it today. It's okay, but not near as enjoyable as a good DE shave.

The web site for Henson razors say that between shaves you should loosen the the head 1 1/2 turns until the blade is not bent. Ya know, I don't like doing that. I'm afraid I will forget to tighten before I shave again and cut the crap out of myself. Or, someone may brush against it with all that extra blade exposure and cut themself. Ok, so maybe I'm being paranoid, but is thes really necessary? I've never done it with my other razors, Techs, EJ's, ect. I realize the blade is bent more extremely and securely in the Henson, but still. Anyone have thoughts on this?
Thank you, help is always appreciated.
I reached out to Henson directly. Here is the question I asked along with the response received on this matter:

In between shaves I notice in your FAQ section that it's recommended to loosen the handle to the point where the blade is no longer bending. Is the rationale behind this so all components dry properly? I would appreciate an official reply.

Answer: Yes, the idea in unscrewing the razor slightly is to allow airflow into the razor and blade between shaves.

Thank you.

Top Bottom