What's new

Buying my 2nd brush after 15yrs

Hi all. I’m looking to replace my first and only brush. It’s C&E Edwin Jagger Best Badger purchased about 15 years ago. Still in decent shape and gets the job done, but starting to show its age. I’m not a collector of shaving accoutrements, so this will probably be the only brush I buy over the next several years.

I’m a face lather and I use mostly milled soaps. I’ve never used a silver tip, but I think it may be to soft for my liking. I like the exfoliating action of BB. Can that be achieved with a silver tip? I’d like to try a brush that’s a bit bigger than the C&E. I think the C&E is the same size as the EJ Medium BB which has a 21mm knot. Not exactly sure what to look for as far as shape goes.

My local shop is Pasteur and I’d rather purchase there than online. Like to see it before laying down the cash. They seem to have a pretty good selection of the big name brands. Hoping to find something around the $100 mark. Could go higher for the right brush, but not into the really high end. Leaning towards a Simpson as of right now but I’m open to anything.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I have been using a $95 Zenith M23 Copper handle Manchurian I bought from a recommended seller there. Zenith Copper Manchurian Badger Brush. 27.5mm Made In Italy M23 | eBay - https://www.ebay.com/itm/255253252265

I checked and Pasteur doesn't sell Zenith brushes, unfortunately.

I bought it because it was recommended here. Brushes are so subjected but from the description of what you want in a brush, it fits the bill. I put mine through a few wet/dry cycles before I used it for the first time so I don't know what it feels like right out of the box. The knot is bigger than what you have now... and the handle fits my hand so nicely.. it has the good kind of scrub, at least, for me.

I'm a novice so my advice is of limited value.... but the recommendations here from more seasoned shaving vets are pretty sound, I've found. I'd hate for you to buy it and hate it. I'm not sure you can do much better at the $100 price point... that is the problem I think you'll run into but who knows?

Others will chime in soon.

I’ve been a big “fan” of this brush since I got it about a year ago. I suspect it puts many $100 brushes to shame, but I have no $100 brushes.

Simpson Duke 2 in Best Badger would be worth looking at. Another possibility in a bit larger brush would the the Semogue Owner's Club in Finest Badger (aka Two-band). The 24mm Two-band brush has some backbone, but still offers reasonably soft tips. The Owner's Club can be had with wood or resin handle.

Simpson Duke 2 in Best Badger would be worth looking at. Another possibility in a bit larger brush would the the Semogue Owner's Club in Finest Badger (aka Two-band). The 24mm Two-band brush has some backbone, but still offers reasonably soft tips. The Owner's Club can be had with wood or resin handle.
Both of those are available at Pasteur's.

Of the brands carried at Pasteur for you to go in & check out in person, I recommend looking at these brands:

Semogue
Simpson
Vilfux
Edwin Jagger

Simpson’s Duke 3 or Simpson’s 57, both in best badger, would be perfect for you based on your inputs

If you want a little more density, I’d suggest the Classic 1 or Classic 2.
Great suggestion. The Simpson Duke 3 in Best is a great mid sized all-arounder. Probably my favorite brush overall.

I recently picked up a 57 in best which is also nice. The handle is a fair bit longer than the Duke and so is the loft. I enjoy a lofty brush particularly for face lathering. The additional splash comes at the cost of some backbone. For me that’s not an issue.

The Classic 1 in best is my travel brush. It has a decent sized knot stuffed into a small and portable handle. A nice brush if you like a smaller size.

The only other brushes, apart from the Duke 3, that I’d be happy to use everyday are my 24mm Shavemac Octo-handles in Silvertip and Two-band. Like the Duke, they can handle anything that you throw at them and are a joy to use.

Last edited:

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Great suggestion. The Simpson Duke 3 in Best is a great mid sized all-arounder. Probably my favorite brush overall.

I recently picked up a 57 in best which is also nice. The handle is a fair bit longer than the Duke and so is the loft. I enjoy a lofty brush particularly for face lathering.

The Classic 1 in best is my travel brush. It has a decent sized knot stuffed into a small and portable handle. A nice brush if you like a smaller size.

The only other brushes, apart from the Duke 3, that I’d be happy to use everyday are my 24mm Shavemac Octo-handles in Silvertip and Two-band. Like the Duke, they can handle anything that you throw at them and are a joy to use.
If only I had enough money to try everyone's favorite badger brush.... of course, I might not live long enough to try them all. <eg>

I recently picked up a 57 in best which is also nice. The handle is a fair bit longer than the Duke and so is the loft. I enjoy a lofty brush particularly for face lathering.

What about the Duke do you prefer over the 57? From what I can find online the only difference is the handle design. I’m going to try to get by the shop tomorrow and take a look. I think my old C&E EJ might get regulated to travel duty.

If only I had enough money to try everyone's favorite badger brush.... of course, I might not live long enough to try them all. <eg>
If only I had a larger bathroom to store additional shaving supplies. Unfortunately we have a small city apartment and my wife gets most of the real estate. Money would be nice too.

What about the Duke do you prefer over the 57? From what I can find online the only difference is the handle design. I’m going to try to get by the shop tomorrow and take a look. I think my old C&E EJ might get regulated to travel duty.
Both are great brushes. I would do a side by side photo for you but the 57 lives at my holiday house in the country. The others are at home in the city.

The knots are similar but the Duke 3 is a touch wider and less lofty. It comes across as denser and firmer. The 57 leans to the floppy side of the spectrum next to the Duke 3. I wouldn’t call it floppy but it has an easy splay and open face feel.

Duke 3 Best Badger specifications:
Overall brush height - 93mm
Handle height - 47mm
Knot loft - 46mm
Knot diameter - 23mm

57 Best Badger specifications:
Overall brush height - 103mm
Handle height - 53mm
Knot loft - 50mm
Knot diameter - 22mm

Both are great brushes. I would do a side by side photo for you but the 57 lives at my holiday house in the country. The others are at home in the city.

The knots are similar but the Duke 3 is a touch wider and less lofty. It comes across as denser and firmer. The 57 leans to the floppy side of the spectrum next to the Duke 3. I wouldn’t call it floppy but is has an easy splay and open face feel.

Duke 3 Best Badger specifications:
Overall brush height - 93mm
Handle height - 47mm
Knot loft - 46mm
Knot diameter - 23mm

57 Best Badger specifications:
Overall brush height - 103mm
Handle height - 53mm
Knot loft - 50mm
Knot diameter - 22mm
Thanks, the Duke sounds good. I’m pretty sure I’d appreciate the denser fuller feel.

Thanks, the Duke sounds good. I’m pretty sure I’d appreciate the denser fuller feel.
I don’t think you can go wrong with a Duke 3. It’s the Goldilocks of the Simpson range.

The Chubby’s are a step up again in terms of density and backbone but for me, it’s too much of a good thing at this point. I’m always fighting with the brush to splay. Flow through and lather holding capacity start to suffer. When you feel like having the wall of badger experience they are a nice change but I wouldn’t like to use one daily.

Go check at the store, see which you like and right now they have 15% online.....(if it doesn't apply a t the store) walk home and order online.....or step out, order from the phone and pick up:eek2::straight:. IF EJ lasted so long....maybe get another?

I recently picked up a 57 in best which is also nice. The handle is a fair bit longer than the Duke and so is the loft. I enjoy a lofty brush particularly for face lathering. The additional splash comes at the cost of some backbone. For me that’s not an issue.

Recently I visited Taylor’s shop in central London and had the chance to hold both the 57 and 58 in my hands. The handles are quite meaty. I went there with the certainty of getting the 57, but I generally prefer smaller handles so I gave up. The 56 or even the 55 might suit me better

Recently I visited Taylor’s shop in central London and had the chance to hold both the 57 and 58 in my hands. The handles are quite meaty. I went there with the certainty of getting the 57, but I generally prefer smaller handles so I gave up. The 56 or even the 55 might suit me better
You’re lucky to have the chance to see them in person before you buy. I’ve had to buy every brush I own blind. The 57 is a decent sized handle but you quickly get used to it.

I don’t know what the Simpson selection is like at the location on Lex but the one on 34th has a nice chunk of shelf of Simpson brushes (some pushing perhaps 10-15 years old I think). It’s too fun chilling up there with the stool browsing them and they were willing to let me have at it and were patient with me. You may be surprised with what you end up rolling with. Ended up grabbing an Eagle last time I was there.

Top Bottom