What's new

New Honer Progression, it’s not what you think. Honing is easy.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
You guys have more _____ than I do. I did buy two barber razors that use the same AC blades I use in my ESC Claymore Evolution.... but it's so nice to shave with, I haven't ventured into the barber razor territory yet. It's easy to control... has nice blade feel, etc..... Around here, it's hard to say that I'm content, but I seem to be content with my razor choice.

Brushes? Ummmmm let's not discuss that black hole.... <eg>

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Definitely, a sharper blade equals less cuts. I'm discovering that a Feather in a shavette out performs a Feather in my DE razors, with less nicks and cuts, whereby you are in control of the cutting angle.
Shave angle and skin stretching are extremely important with a very sharp edge. With a DE, you can stretch all you want, and control your pressure exquisitely, but there is only just so much you can do about your shave angle. I can put half of a Feather DE blade in a $3 shavette and get a brilliant shave with no cuts, whereas a Feather DE blade in a DE razor is, for me, a very risky shave. Yeah I can do it without cutting myself, of course, but I do have to concentrate on it. And sometimes, blood happens, anyway. It has been years since I have cut my face with a straight razor. I cut my hands more than I cut my face, actually.

Lately I have been occasionally using a shavette with Feather AC styling that cost me I think $9 or so on AE. I have to admit that with a half Feather DE blade, it is a very good shaver if I keep my angle very low.

Shave angle and skin stretching are extremely important with a very sharp edge. With a DE, you can stretch all you want, and control your pressure exquisitely, but there is only just so much you can do about your shave angle. I can put half of a Feather DE blade in a $3 shavette and get a brilliant shave with no cuts, whereas a Feather DE blade in a DE razor is, for me, a very risky shave. Yeah I can do it without cutting myself, of course, but I do have to concentrate on it. And sometimes, blood happens, anyway. It has been years since I have cut my face with a straight razor. I cut my hands more than I cut my face, actually.

Lately I have been occasionally using a shavette with Feather AC styling that cost me I think $9 or so on AE. I have to admit that with a half Feather DE blade, it is a very good shaver if I keep my angle very low.
Can definitely relate to this, my bloodiest ever shave was with a feather in a Muhle R41.
I very rarely DE shave any more maybe once or twice a year but I pretty much always have several little cuts/weepers. I just never get this with a straight.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Can definitely relate to this, my bloodiest ever shave was with a feather in a Muhle R41.
I very rarely DE shave any more maybe once or twice a year but I pretty much always have several little cuts/weepers. I just never get this with a straight.
I can safely shave with a DE razor. It's just that I'm scared because I can't see the blade's edge on my skin. SR shaving is much safer for me and I can shave as often as I desire without any irritation.

I have been known to perform an nine-pass SR shave, one WTG and eight XTG. Not because I needed to but because I wanted to and could.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
I can safely shave with a DE razor. It's just that I'm scared because I can't see the blade's edge on my skin. SR shaving is much safer for me and I can shave as often as I desire without any irritation.

I have been known to perform an nine-pass SR shave, one WTG and eight XTG. Not because I needed to but because I wanted to and could.
I believe the psychologists have a name for that, actually. Obsessive Compulsive something or another.

Or ‘engineer’.
I've been told that engineers and really good maintenance men are a prime example of functional autism. Used to be called a "savant" of really talented. I'm allegedly "on the spectrum" and I work maintenance, tinkering and learning how the world works is fun, and important. Maybe it was just the men in my family and I grew up away from the "modern" world but when I was young that's how most men behaved... the world is nuts.

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
You’re wrong, no disrespect. ‘Engineer’ is a frame of mind, like ‘artist’, ’musician’, ‘farmer’, ‘razor grinder’, etc.

I too grew up in a rural world, and I understand what you’re saying.

I've been researching this new honing thing and it's been fun and crazy. At one hand, I want to try every stone out there but on the other, I want to keep my sanity.

For now, I got couple of Shapton for a honing progression and soft/hard Ark to test out. Shaptons are so much easier than the Arks but something about the natural stones... it's intriguing. It just takes way more time to work with the Ark. Anyways, I'm going to stick to these two for now and just take it easy. Or at least that's the plan.

You’re wrong, no disrespect. ‘Engineer’ is a frame of mind, like ‘artist’, ’musician’, ‘farmer’, ‘razor grinder’, etc.

I can absolutly agree with that. I never said I agree with it, just what I've been told. Redneck engineers are the only kind I've ever known and they could build anything out of anything.

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
I can absolutly agree with that. I never said I agree with it, just what I've been told. Redneck engineers are the only kind I've ever known and they could build anything out of anything.

I’m born and raised in the south, but what you’re describing is not engineering.

I’m born and raised in the south, but what you’re describing is not engineering.
Initially I was describing being labeled something im not(not here, in life), though i have been called variations of it(adhd, asbergers, savant, functional autistic, even brain damaged a couple times) and I want to be clear about that and I apologize if i offended, I meant no offense to engineers or anyone for that matter. My first post was about me and me only.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Initially I was describing being labeled something im not(not here, in life), though i have been called variations of it(adhd, asbergers, savant, functional autistic, even brain damaged a couple times) and I want to be clear about that and I apologize if i offended, I meant no offense to engineers or anyone for that matter. My first post was about me and me only.
I'm an engineer and it went way over my head so I found nothing offensive in your post.

No, I'm going with @Empire straights on this one.

'Introspective' is a frame of mind. 'Optimistic' is a frame of mind. 'Engineer' is something else. Some people think 'Engineer' points to a degree, and others think 'Engineer' derives from a business card; I disagree with those conclusions.

I went to college with a guy who spent Friday evenings in the dorm making tin foil and cardboard objects and then shooting them with rubber-band-propelled paperclips. He told me he was trying to see if the damage to the various objects jived with what he had been taught about materials deformation. It was clear that mechanical engineering was his vocation.

If your recreational choices resemble work to an observer, you've probably found your vocation.

Mankind has been engineering things in this fashion throughout history: plan what you can, measure what you can, apply what you know, intuit the rest. That last step is frequently needed, and is based on two things - lived experiences and observations.

So when Empire writes, "I've been told that engineers and really good maintenance men are a prime example of functional autism. Used to be called a "savant" of really talented", I'm not finding a good reason to tell him he's wrong. I'd not considered his perspective before, but it rings true none the less. The successes I've witnessed from non-degreed, non-titled 'engineers' provide ample support for his words.

For some, 'engineer' is a job. For others, 'engineer' is a vocation. I've worked with both types.

I've often found what led me to master any tools I have is being unable to afford any more tools.
When starting woodworking, the only power tool I had was a table saw I got at a yarda for $60. Had to learn to cross, rip, and mitre cut, how to cut dados and rabbet joints, how to cut dovetails and curves with jigs, you name it. The machine broke down one day while I was making a table for a girl I liked, and smoke started billowing out of it; I damn near cried (or maybe I did, not really sure.) As I was unable to afford another one at the time, I settled to visiting a metalworker I knew and we managed to get the messed up bearing off and fix the thing in time to get her the table, and the fix cost me about $2 and I am now raising a child with the girl I gave the table to.
My downfall came when I started selling the wood things I made and I was instantly able to afford new tools. I was no longer forced by necessity to master ever possible use of the table saw, or the chisel, or the one noname stone. I've since forced myself to make sure I can't do a new job with the tools I have before I go out and buy the tool meant specifically for it.
In all honesty I do miss the times when I'd have to come up with ways to build things with just one saw. Too many tools led to me being a master of none of them.

Top Bottom