What's new

Success! (Mostly...)

The substrate for the balsa doesn't have to be too flat, just stiff. I use floor tile cut to size and balsa or PVC foam under the tile to make up the thickness.

For the films, I again used tile with balsa under and glued some 6mm thick acrylic from eBay onto the upper surface. It's all in Annex II & III of the instructions, even where to source the 0.1μm in AU.
Glass should work for the film?
Can get a piece of 10mm glass and glue foam on it easy...

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Glass should work for the film?
Can get a piece of 10mm glass and glue foam on it easy...
Glass is normally not as flat as acrylic. It is also heavier and easy to break if dropped. Overall mass is also important. Heavy fatigues you sooner because you are holding the substrate in your unsupported hand like you were instructed. A greater mass (mass-moment of inertia) also restrictes the substrate from moving to match your honing/stropping technique.

Of course, don't let me put you off what you want to do. No one will punish you for doing things your way. Just don't expect the same results.

Did you read the FAQ in the instructions?

Glass is normally not as flat as acrylic. It is also heavier and easy to break if dropped. Overall mass is also important. Heavy fatigues you sooner because you are holding the substrate in your unsupported hand like you were instructed. A greater mass (mass-moment of inertia) also restrictes the substrate from moving to match your honing/stropping technique.

Of course, don't let me put you off what you want to do. No one will punish you for doing things your way. Just don't expect the same results.

Did you read the FAQ in the instructions?
I've read it all...and all the articles on Slash McCoy's website, and watched his videos, and read his balsa strop thread...

Might bite the bullet and buy the 20mm arcrylic for the film...

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Read or re-read Annex II & III of these instructions. Much easier that reading the threads and trying to lean from videos.

Top Bottom