What's new

I don't get excited about an expensive razor that shaves well. I get excited about a $50 razors that shave great!

Old Type Ball End Handle. I got this for $9.99, planning to use the uncracked handle on a Goodwill I'm particularly fond of. BUT it shaves so nicely that I decided to send it in to BRG for a replate.
20220606_134711.jpg

Dave himself

Wee Words of Wisdom
My Fatip piccolo gives me close smooth shaves everytime. I also have a Yaqi slant head I got an generic SS nandle coated in black resin to match with it with free shipping I think the whole set up cost me around £18. Brilliant shaver using a steep angle and paired with a GSB or Nacet gives me weeper and irritation free shaves.

There's always a gamble when buying a razor regardless if it's very expensive or super cheap. I also own a couple of very poorly made, vintage razors that shave surprisingly well and can stand their own against much more expensive, precise and made out of better materials. They key element is to first find out which head type or style suits you better as well as tons of other things like preferences about the weight, handles, more/less blade feel, bulky and heavy vs slim and more nimble heads, steep vs shallow angle, open comb vs closed comb, blade gaps, blade exposures, smooth bar vs scalloped, having found out which blades work best for you and many other things as well.

While I can't say for sure how a particular razor is going to shave me and whatever I'm really going to like it or not, there are plenty of razors, which I would never buy, simply because I can already see that they have at least a few things that I dislike and that's more than enough to put me away from buying them regardless of the price.

The general rule is that there's no such thing as a bad razor, but it's also true that not all razors shave the same and it all comes down to whatever you want to force yourself to meet the demands of a certain razor and master your skills to use it or just find one that fits your style and be happy with it. I've had razors from both specters and while I can shave with some very demanding razors and get great results, the shaving experience isn't that great, because I feel like I have to be forced to do something a certain way in order to get rewarded and for me, both the journey and the end of the destination are important and getting both at the same time is what I really want from a razor.

The downside is that such razors might become boring at some point, because shaving with them and getting the desired results is almost like shaving with a cartridge razor and going mindlessly across the face as many passes as I please without even the slightest issues whatsoever, but that's why I have other razors as well to put me back in track every now and then and remind me why I love auto-pilot razors.

This is print screen from 2012.

My first order from West Coast Shaving.

I spent weeks very very guilty by spending "so much money just for shaving".

Screenshot_20220611-072308_Gmail.jpg

Going back to tradicional shaving instead supermarket Gillettes was supposed to SAVE money, not the opposite.

"Well, just buy a razor onze then some
few inexpensive blades here and there" I thought. Drugstore US$ 1 shaving cream should last a few months. Never heard about after shave.

10 years later here we go.... Spending US$ 140 just for hoarding Wizamets ... And trying to find space for so many razors.

"I don't get excited about an expensive razor that shaves well. I get excited about a $50 razors that shave great!"​

This statement is true about about most things in life.

Some people are 'label people' they like to flaunt the brand name and/or convince themselves they made the right decision and it's the best!

Other folk are more content, 'if it gets the job done' at minimum cost there're content and happy.

'You pays your money and makes your choice!'

GEM 1912 for $12:

KIMG0250.JPG

I'd never used a single-edge blade for a shave, and couldn't believe how smooth and comfortable it was. One pass was DFS, the second pass with touch-up was BBS. I've since started collecting them, too. Lots of great old hardware out there, just collecting dust in antique stores, and well below $50.

Top Bottom