What's new

Downsides of using one blade in several different razors

For the most part I can use one blade in several different razors without issue. However I've increasingly noticed that sometimes this can cause subtle problems. For instance. If you use a blade in an extremely angled clamping razor like a slant or a henson and then go in to use the same blade in a game changer or drakkant or blutt the blade edge will be slightly crimpled. Most of the time this wavy blade edge has no effect. But today it resulted in one side of my Drakkant hardly shaving. Changed the blade and it was fine. Has anyone else noticed the blade being warped when swapping razors and using the same blade?

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
I have noticed this in the past. That is why I use the one razor and blade now for a week and then change both. I know that many members like to change their blades and razors daily but I am not one of them.

I have noticed this in the past. That is why I use the one razor and blade now for a week and then change both. I know that many members like to change their blades and razors daily but I am not one of them.
I mostly just do it to compare razors. This is the first time I've had an issue like this to this degree. Must be because of how steeply the henson clamps the blade. Because I used that for a few days then chucked the blade in my Drakkant which clamps the blade shallowly. One side shaved perfectly. The other was missing my hair entirely. Checked and low and behold the ole'wavy edge had manifested.

This is why I'll happily move a blade from my Slim to my Wunderbar, but would never consider going the other way; simply to much torsion on the metal in the Wunderbar.

Dave himself

Wee Words of Wisdom
I've never thought about this but now thinking about it it makes sense I'm new to wet shaving around 2 years I think 🤔. I think from now on I'll shave with the blade in 1 razor till it dulls then swap both blade and razor at the same time. Thanks for the help and advice gents much appreciated.

Very interesting. I honestly had not considered this, even though I have some training and experience with metal fatigue. Thanks for posting!

Steel is a flexible material. It can bend without damage up to a certain point. Beyond that what is called plastic deformation occurs and the metal will not return to its former shape. As long as the blade returns to a flat shape when removed from the razor, it should not make any difference to the blade.

Now, if the edge is worn or corroded, I'd expect that to effect the blade performance.

Unless I am having a really terrible experience with a blade/razor combo and it's a blade I like, one blade stays in one razor for me. More than likely though, I would just toss the blade and move on.

I don't feel the need to swap stuff around or take the blade out and dry it. Just rinse and shake for me.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I stick with one blade for twenty or more shaves most of the time. I move that blade from razor to razor - FOCS, Sailor, Wunderbar, CM1, whatever, etc. - at will and/or on a whim. Never had any problem doing this.

I flip the blade every day whether I change razors or not.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Steel is a flexible material. It can bend without damage up to a certain point. Beyond that what is called plastic deformation occurs and the metal will not return to its former shape. As long as the blade returns to a flat shape when removed from the razor, it should not make any difference to the blade.

Now, if the edge is worn or corroded, I'd expect that to effect the blade performance.

Great explanation!! Nice to be able to put a ’term’ on this process.

I agree with all of what NortherSoul and Sethology said.

In addition to that, I have a very unscientific theory that the bevel on the edge of the blades wears more on the upper side more than the lower side because of the downward angle that some of my razors put on the blade. I was wondering if a blade could get a rolled edge or burr from use or wear.

After using a blade for a couple of shaves I turned the blade over and tried a couple of passes with the same razor. It was a totally different animal; much more harsh. I flipped the blade back over and it was instantly back to being more mild.

Going off on a short tangent here. On one of the Spyderco knife forums there was a discussion about knives being sharpened then set aside for a long amount of time. Later, users noticed that the edge just didn't feel as sharp as they left it and when they touched up the edge again it felt sharper. This was coming from forum members that totally geek-out when it comes to sharpening knives. (I think I do a good job of putting an edge on a blade, but my knives would be compared to something equivalent to tools from the stone age compared to the job these guys do on theirs.)

I've even read a recommendation by straight razor users that you shouldn't use the same razor two days in a row. They suggest giving the razor a few day off so the edge could relax.

So, I think that a blade can be permanently deformed or crimped by the razor, worn to where it forms a different angle on the bevel, or takes a temporary roll from use.

I have three razors active in rotation at all times (1959 Fatboy, 1957 Red Tip, late-1940s Super Speed). I've never tried, nor want to try, swapping blades in use. I load all three razors with the same blade model at the same time and rotate the razors from shave to shave. This gives me consistency from shave to shave with any particular razor.

In doing this I have noticed that some blades are better in some razors better than other razors. My favorite right now is the Shark blade, which I really love. It performs the same in all three razors. The Gillette 7 O'Clock Green doesn't perform well in the Super Speed and only "ok" in the Fatboy (setting 7). The Personna Lab blade is fine in the Red Tip and the Fatboy, but shaky in the SS.

After using a blade for a couple of shaves I turned the blade over and tried a couple of passes with the same razor. It was a totally different animal; much more harsh. I flipped the blade back over and it was instantly back to being more mild.

I do the same with my blades. I do two shaves on one side, then flip them and do two shaves on the other side. Then they get tossed.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
For the most part I can use one blade in several different razors without issue. However I've increasingly noticed that sometimes this can cause subtle problems. For instance. If you use a blade in an extremely angled clamping razor like a slant or a henson and then go in to use the same blade in a game changer or drakkant or blutt the blade edge will be slightly crimpled. Most of the time this wavy blade edge has no effect. But today it resulted in one side of my Drakkant hardly shaving. Changed the blade and it was fine. Has anyone else noticed the blade being warped when swapping razors and using the same blade?

I have been using the same blade in my different razors for the last 5 years. Some blades do get torqued different in different razors I own but they do seem to cut whiskers still reasonable. The only way to find out would be take pictures in one of those high powered microscopes to confirm your findings I'm thinking.
I will keep my eye's open for changes in my torqued razors for visual ripple effects or blunting.
Flipping the blade might also reverse your issue for this problem.

I have been using the same blade in my different razors for the last 5 years. Some blades do get torqued different in different razors I own but they do seem to cut whiskers still reasonable. The only way to find out would be take pictures in one of those high powered microscopes to confirm your findings I'm thinking.
I will keep my eye's open for changes in my torqued razors for visual ripple effects or blunting.
Flipping the blade might also reverse your issue for this problem.
My blade was noticeably deformed. I suspect this only happened because I used it in a henson and wunderbar razor. Two razors that really twist the blade, before putting it back in a standard de. I suspect people who haven't had this issue don't use some of the wackier slants I have 😆

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
My blade was noticeably deformed. I suspect this only happened because I used it in a henson and wunderbar razor. Two razors that really twist the blade, before putting it back in a standard de. I suspect people who haven't had this issue don't use some of the wackier slants I have 😆
If you still have the blade maybe a Photograph will pick it up better for us to see if possible !
I just got done using my Wunderbar slant this morning and just checked the blade it seems OK.

DE SOTD Friday June 10th 2022
Razor : Razorock Wunderbar slant, MFG 2017> upper mid range, I use a steep angle (ridding the bar) for this razor because of the large curved head design. Sort handle works well with razor and other aggressive razors I have concluded. Excellent shave today.
Blade : Personna red (2) sharp & smooth with great blade longevity.
SOTD June 10 2022.jpg

Have some great shaves!

Top Bottom