What's new

Razorock Gamechanger .84 SB Test Shave/Review

I know this has been done before but I wanted to give my opinion in case someone was thinking of buying one.

Today's shave with the GC 84 went very well.
As far as aggressiveness I feel I have to put it about the same as the Krave razor with a D plate. Or the Rockwell 6c with a 5 plate. I was expecting more. I can't compare it to a Gillette as the "feel" is much different but in smoothness, it's comparable to a Schick G model. I think this has to do with the blade exposure being very little but having a somewhat big blade gap. This made for a very small amount of blade feel if any. It's a very smooth but effective shaver. On my third pass, I could still hear it cutting whiskers loudly. It's a talker for sure. Not many DE razors give this much audible feedback without losing a level of comfort when I'm on my third or fourth pass. I didn't have any issue finding the proper angle and the angle is NOT a fine line. That is a plus in my book as some razors now have such a small window of cutting degree that it's easy to get out of the proper angle.

I will give this an 8 or 9 overall rating.
Smoothness was a 10 but the proper blade makes a lot of difference in that.
BTW, I was using a new Gillette silver/blue.
It never clogged and I even pushed it in that area.
Aggressiveness is a 7.
Ability is a 9.

So if anyone is thinking of buying one of these I will give it a 2 thumbs up! A fine razor. I think I could go with more blade feel and still be happy so I might be looking for an OC or jump to the 95 that everyone is testing.
BTW, This handle is fantastic. Even with my fingers covered in lather from testing how easy or hard it is to clog up, it still couldn't have slipped out of my grip. And the weight is just right.

JMHO...
YMMV

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
It seems every one has different opinions on the RR GC.84, the Schick G has slightly more blade feel IMO. My RR GC.84 was one of the first batches they made when first introduced to the market. I find mine a tame mid range and mine feels like a 4-4.5/10 for aggression. I get great shaves with it using a Kai Extra wide blade. The QC of the razor is out standing and I'm happy with that also.
I have to agree with you that the blade exposure or blade feel is minimal and there is some from my testing I did years ago on it(1/1000 of a inch approximately).
I'm glade you are enjoying your new Razorock Game changer.84 !
Have some great shaves!

Last edited:

Iridian

Cool and slimy
Hi HazMat, would suggest a Nacet or a similar stainless blade you like for being thorough and efficient for this one. As opposed to razor blades useful for cushioning aggressive razors. I find the GC84 safety bar mild enough as it is, it can use a little bit extra to get some added efficiency.

Glad you are enjoying you GC 84. I haven't had much luck with it. Shaves okay for me, but the Lupo 95 is much better for my beard/face. For some reason, I find the Lupo smoother and more comfortable and it provides better results. Not knocking the 84...lots of folks love it....it just hasn't wowed me.

The GC .84P is a great razor. It gives a really good shave without fear of cuts, nicks or irritation, at least for me. It's not overly aggressive, but gets the job done proficiently.
Besides providing a great shave, it's an extremely good VALUE. For what it is and how it performs, it's a true bargain in a fully machined, stainless steel razor.

I know this has been done before but I wanted to give my opinion in case someone was thinking of buying one.

Today's shave with the GC 84 went very well.
As far as aggressiveness I feel I have to put it about the same as the Krave razor with a D plate. Or the Rockwell 6c with a 5 plate. I was expecting more. I can't compare it to a Gillette as the "feel" is much different but in smoothness, it's comparable to a Schick G model. I think this has to do with the blade exposure being very little but having a somewhat big blade gap. This made for a very small amount of blade feel if any. It's a very smooth but effective shaver. On my third pass, I could still hear it cutting whiskers loudly. It's a talker for sure. Not many DE razors give this much audible feedback without losing a level of comfort when I'm on my third or fourth pass. I didn't have any issue finding the proper angle and the angle is NOT a fine line. That is a plus in my book as some razors now have such a small window of cutting degree that it's easy to get out of the proper angle.

I will give this an 8 or 9 overall rating.
Smoothness was a 10 but the proper blade makes a lot of difference in that.
BTW, I was using a new Gillette silver/blue.
It never clogged and I even pushed it in that area.
Aggressiveness is a 7.
Ability is a 9.

So if anyone is thinking of buying one of these I will give it a 2 thumbs up! A fine razor. I think I could go with more blade feel and still be happy so I might be looking for an OC or jump to the 95 that everyone is testing.
BTW, This handle is fantastic. Even with my fingers covered in lather from testing how easy or hard it is to clog up, it still couldn't have slipped out of my grip. And the weight is just right.

JMHO...
YMMV
What handle are you using?

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
@HazMat Shaver

Thank you for your review of your Razorock Gamechanger .84 SB. There are a lot of people who also like that razor, and there are even folks buying that razor right now, and waiting for it to arrive at their door. And I am glad that you were able to pick the razor up and use it, without having to worry about angle of attack too much. Its good that this is to be considered a smooth shaving razor, thats always a plus in my book!

When you hear the sound of a razor cutting whiskers, I call that the razor is singing. So lend it your ears, and it will sing you a tune, a pleasant sound of whisker reduction. Your rating is pretty good considering! No wonder you were having such a fun time, you had a Gillette Silver Blue in there! HEHE And if you share two thumbs you, you surely can't go wrong. Woohoo! :thumbup:

I tell ya one thing, if you were using a Merkur Futur, you wouldn't want to have your fingers covered in soap, thats a recipe for disaster that is. But oddly enough, wet fingers is not a problem, just soapy ones. I can't help but think of you in an environmental suit, disinfecting your razor. :)

I've been using a 68P a lot and it's become a favorite. I also have a 68OC and 84P that I haven't gotten to yet. (That happens when you have one face and too many razors. 🙂)

I just want to concur that the RR handles are nice and grippy. I have the HD, UFO, Bulldog, and a Halo UFO. The knurling on the first three is deep but not sharp and provides a confident grip. I especially like the knurled UFO, and have two.

Thanks All for the replies.
I thought I posted the name of the handle but...
It's the Barber Pole Handle. I really enjoy it.

I'm thinking of buying the 95 Base Plate to try on this razor next.

Does anyone know for sure (has done it) That the two will match? I know one is a Game Changer and one is a Lupo. That is the only part that worries me when mixing up parts. I could just buy a 95 but I'd rather save some coin if possible as the 84 is a bit mild for me. It's a great shaver but I think I could use a bit more aggressiveness.

Comments?

Does anyone know for sure (has done it) That the two will match? I know one is a Game Changer and one is a Lupo. That is the only part that worries me when mixing up parts. I could just buy a 95 but I'd rather save some coin if possible as the 84 is a bit mild for me. It's a great shaver but I think I could use a bit more aggressiveness.

Comments?

Top caps are not interchangeable between Lupo and Gamechanger.

Pictures here -

Comments?
I'm going to try a shim in my .84 today, gap doesn't look to menacing at least not yet. I will report back on the shave. Normally, the .84 SB gives great shaves all the time. Just want to see if I can get closer to my Muhle R41 2011 performance level.

I guess I’m alone here. I liked the 84 a lot but after 3 days in a row, WTG, ATG, ATG (my standard 3 pass) left my face a bit raw despite using a gentle touch. But I was always using a BIC blade.

Never gave up the razor, kept revisiting until one day I had the ideia of trying a derby extra in it.

Boom! 3 consecutive days, amazing shaves, smooth and gentle.

Never give up a razor until all variables are explored.

I'm going to try a shim in my .84 today, gap doesn't look to menacing at least not yet. I will report back on the shave. Normally, the .84 SB gives great shaves all the time. Just want to see if I can get closer to my Muhle R41 2011 performance level.
The shim worked well, increasing the gap to .93mm. Blade had 4 shaves on it already, a VDH, but still was able to give a long lasting BBS result. Alum block felt a little more intense sting than with the .84 w/o shim. Had to use a bit more aftershave balm also. Face felt glass smooth for many hours, and only after about 9 hours it became a DFS for about an hour. No irritation, nicks or cuts. Not a daily shaver configuration, but a nice tryout, to see what was possible. Not quite Muhle R41 (2011) but very tolerable, without any drama. Similar to my Ikon B1 Standard, but smoother, and easier to shave with. One might want to try a shim occasionally with the .84, but really, it was an experiment and totally unnecessary. I'm very happy with the standard .84 baseplate.

This has been an interesting discussion, with lots of opinions expressed. My RazoRock GameChanger .68P will hopefully be delivered tomorrow. I'm looking forward to it. I didn't shave today so I'd get a good feel for the .68P razors capability when it arrives. My blade of choice is an Astra SP, although, I also have what I think is a Personna Blue pack I get at a beauty supply store. Once you remove the packaging, there are no markings on the blades. So, I'm not really sure. But, they are sharp and provide a comfortable shave. I currently use a Merkur 23C. I bought it because reviews said it was a "moderate" aggressive razor that provides a comfortable shave. It certainly does that. At 68 years old, with a white, stiff beard and sensitive skin, I'm all about comfortable shaves.

b/r

ON_1

So many ask for comparisons with the GC that I finally picked one up (.84, safety bar). Tomorrow will be my inaugural shave with this well liked razor. Looking forward to how it compares with the Lupo (72, 95) and my other razors!

Top Bottom