What's new

Proraso White - Super formula in the tube

Hey everyone, used this for about a week now. I can say that the new super formula is significantly better than the old formula. Could be the difference between beginner me and experienced me but frankly, the performance, latherability, and residual are significantly better than my experience with the old formula soap. I would place it in the 'good' category. No complaints....except for one.

The scent. My god, its awful. Smells like sugar cane mulch/cut grass with an artificial fern 'car air freshner' and sweetness in the background. Decided to offload it to my brother, and I've picked up St James of London Tobacco and Tonka instead.

Did proraso change the scent of the white? I've read its supposed to be apple and lime, and gives off a medicinal vibe. I didn't get any of that. Interested to hear your thoughts and opinions.

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems
I thought it was supposed to be oatmeal and green tea. It smells "musty" to me (or could be that the tube is really old :001_smile ). Regardless, the Lady of the House likes it for herself, so it's been a while since I've used it. It's the "sensitive" formula.

I smelled some directly from a tube and tub not long ago.. all I could pick up was a very faint scent of oatmeal in the tub, and nothing really from the tube. I think it would make a great cream just to use for super lathering purposes, but I wonder if that faint scent becomes nasty when lathered, a long the lines of what you described?

The White has always had an “interesting” scent to me, never heard it described as apple and limes either! The Super Formula smells very much the same to this nose.

SJOL sounds like a good upgrade tho (lol). Once you smell the other nicer stuff (tobs and DR Harris), the Proraso just doesn’t play in the same league anymore, for me anyways.

Don’t look back in anger, I heard you say…

Hey everyone, used this for about a week now. I can say that the new super formula is significantly better than the old formula. Could be the difference between beginner me and experienced me but frankly, the performance, latherability, and residual are significantly better than my experience with the old formula soap. I would place it in the 'good' category. No complaints....except for one.

The scent. My god, its awful. Smells like sugar cane mulch/cut grass with an artificial fern 'car air freshner' and sweetness in the background. Decided to offload it to my brother, and I've picked up St James of London Tobacco and Tonka instead.

Did proraso change the scent of the white? I've read its supposed to be apple and lime, and gives off a medicinal vibe. I didn't get any of that. Interested to hear your thoughts and opinions.

Sir SydneyShaver, I wonder if you got a tube that had some heat damage.
Did you try to return to the vendor for a replacement?

(ps....very impressed we have young members!!)

Proraso White smells like green tea with a hint of oatmeal and menthol. That's it. It's not supposed to smell like anything else, and certainly not apples. It's kind of a light, soapy smell.

When I first got my tube a while back I thought it had a bit of a sunblock vibe which was pretty cool, but now that I've broken out the tube again to use for a bit it reminds me of wet paint for some reason.

That's cool to know the Super formula is actually better. I plan on always having some green around and my tube of green is pretty low. Looking forward to trying the updated version.

Sir SydneyShaver, I wonder if you got a tube that had some heat damage.
Did you try to return to the vendor for a replacement?

(ps....very impressed we have young members!!)
I've gotten plenty of products from this specific vendor and all have come absolutely pristine so I don't think so. I think I have an expectation for greentea and oatmeal scents (at least seperately) and this is different? Maybe I just can't stomach this scent. Can't win them all afterall.

I say lime and apple since that is what the vendor has as a description for the scent. I'd have to agree somewhat, its certainly not a natural scent.

For some reason, the Proraso USA website says the following about the White (Sensitive) soap: Features just a hint of the light, fresh scent of lime and apple.

I always found that weird because the original Italian site never mentioned a particular scent (nevermind lime or apple). In fact, back when I first bought the soap (about ten years ago), they said that they purposely refrained from adding fragrances to the soap because it's meant for sensitive skin. Instead, the scent naturally develops as it saponifies.

Anyway, I can see how the "lime and apple" thing would mislead people. Some retailers like Amazon just parrot the ad copy from the Proraso USA website. 😕

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
I didn't like the old White's scent and do not like the new White's either. My opinion is that in terms of fragrance alone the Ever-Green remains the best. In terms of overall performance the Red is my first pick.

I didn't like the old White's scent and do not like the new White's either. My opinion is that in terms of fragrance alone the Ever-Green remains the best. In terms of overall performance the Red is my first pick.
Would have to agree! I haven't used or smelt the red cream just the aftershave (which like the green splash is amazing) but I've used many sandalwood products, so I know that with Green I am getting a nice, unique scent.

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
In my book now the Ever-Green has climbed to #1 pick for both fragrance and performance. :001_wub:

I just wish Proraso made a classic Lavender and Rose in the traditional English style... 🇬🇧

Last edited:
In my book now the Ever-Green has climbed to #1 pick for both fragrance and performance. :001_wub:

I just wish Proraso made a classic Lavender and Rose in the traditional English style... 🇬🇧
I agree in that the green is the quintessential proraso scent! fresh, sharp and invigorating! I disagree about a traditional english scent though. Such a long-standing Italian company should do something more Italian! Something fruity perhaps with lemon/orange/fig or an aquatic/herbacious scent would suit a historied Italian company like Proraso very well imo.

Top Bottom