What's new

Update: this stroke survivor is still wet shaving

Hi, I'm a stroke survivor with left side paralysis.
I got back into wet shaving 3-4 years after I recovered from my stroke. Two months ago someone stole 4 of my DE razors including my treasured Gilette 1904
Each of those 4 razors had a blade in it and the thief took the blades out of them and left them in the sink where my blind roommate cut himself on one of them. So, I haven't been allowed to use my wet shaving equipment. I still have the one razor with a Old type head on my custom made handle that has a punisher skull etched on the end. It has been locked in my trunk for 2 months and I am currently using a Braun electric razor that I keep locked up when I am not using or charging it. A lot of my things have been stolen but in six months or so, I will be moving in with my best friend who is also my Girlfriend. Once I am living with her, I will no longer have to worry about my stuff being stolen. The move has been postponed even further because the recent Wildfire in NM burned down the house I was going to move into.
So while she's working on getting her insurance claim paid, I am stuck in this aspiring geriatric juke joint. Once I'm living with her, I will replace the 4 stolen razors.

Wow! You are being thrown a lot of curve balls. I’m hoping you are right handed.
Replacing razors the least thing.
Hope you get some rain soon, and insurance moves quickly.
Keep us abreast of how things move.

Man that is some story! We are glad to have you here at B&B and I hope everything starts going better for you in the near future. I live in a high fire danger area and hearing about people's loss hits me very directly.

Hi, I'm a stroke survivor with left side paralysis.
I got back into wet shaving 3-4 years after I recovered from my stroke. Two months ago someone stole 4 of my DE razors including my treasured Gilette 1904
Each of those 4 razors had a blade in it and the thief took the blades out of them and left them in the sink where my blind roommate cut himself on one of them. So, I haven't been allowed to use my wet shaving equipment. I still have the one razor with a Old type head on my custom made handle that has a punisher skull etched on the end. It has been locked in my trunk for 2 months and I am currently using a Braun electric razor that I keep locked up when I am not using or charging it. A lot of my things have been stolen but in six months or so, I will be moving in with my best friend who is also my Girlfriend. Once I am living with her, I will no longer have to worry about my stuff being stolen. The move has been postponed even further because the recent Wildfire in NM burned down the house I was going to move into.
So while she's working on getting her insurance claim paid, I am stuck in this aspiring geriatric juke joint. Once I'm living with her, I will replace the 4 stolen razors.
Hi @Ender78 Some rough waters you have been voyaging. Seems like you can see the harbour lighthouse now so you can tie up. Forgive the nautical analogies, but so often our journeys feel like that.

At least you belong to a great forum, where such anecdotes are freely shared by many who know where you are coming from and can relate.

I hope things are calmer here on in!

Wow! You are being thrown a lot of curve balls. I’m hoping you are right handed.
Replacing razors the least thing.
Hope you get some rain soon, and insurance moves quickly.
Keep us abreast of how things move.
I am indeed right handed *thank goodness!*. TTOs are almost impossible for me now so I will be hunting for 3 piece safety razors (After I move in with my girlfriend. I am on a full purchase sabbatical
(not buying any kind if thing at all.) until I do that move because I don't trust the nurses here.
Too many of my things have disappeared.

I am indeed right handed *thank goodness!*. TTOs are almost impossible for me now so I will be hunting for 3 piece safety razors (After I move in with my girlfriend. I am on a full purchase sabbatical
(not buying any kind of things at all.) until I do that move because I don't trust the nurses here.
Too many of my things have disappeared.

God people can be so cruel. And I'm sorry you can't trust the nurses in your current situation.

Keep us updated on how things move along! I appreciate you man.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Glad to hear that you are going okay and moving forward. Very sorry to hear about the razors disappearing and that your friend cut himself. Looking forward to more progress reports when you move to your new location.

Sorry to hear of your loss, and bad situation. But happy to hear that things are going to be looking up for you. Hang in there! :thumbup1:
I have been thinking about trying to sneak a DE shave but I don't want my kit confiscated.. this sucks because when I DE shave I sorta enter a state of nirvana that I call "Shavevana" . (Just me and my razor with shaving soap on my face). There are 2 soaps I would love to try but I'll wait until I am no longer at this place to order them. Has anyone on B&B tried the Merkur version of the 1904?

There was one thing (another curve ball) I didn't mention in the OP. I didn't think it worth mentioning because I am "kicking its butt". Around 18 months ago, I was diagnosed with CML (Chronic myeloid leukemia). [Blood cancer.]. The only way it has affected me so far was the Rapid loss of 60 pounds. I'm in Remission now and in my case, the CML is curable. I am taking an oral chemotherapy drug to combat and hopefully cure it.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
There was one thing (another curve ball) I didn't mention in the OP. I didn't think it worth mentioning because I am "kicking its butt". Around 18 months ago, I was diagnosed with CML (Chronic myeloid leukemia). [Blood cancer.]. The only way it has affected me so far was the Rapid loss of 60 pounds. I'm in Remission now and in my case, the CML is curable. I am taking an oral chemotherapy drug to combat and hopefully cure it.
Keep up the good fight my friend.

Here at Badger and Blade you are among friends.

I'd be glad to send you some Arko Stick soap when you get settled.
Though there are a FEW wiseacres on here that would say giving you Arko is not the nicest thing....

I snuck in a shave because I hadn't seen the assistant director of nursing for more than 3 weeks. I asked if he was still working at this joint and they told me that he accepted a Director of nursing job offer at a bigger facility in another state. with him gone, no one checks on meso I was able to get a 40bmin shave in. during yhat shave ,I noticed that Iam having a little bit of yrouble shaving the left side of my face.. i will need to work on that. Before vmy stroke, I used my left hand. I can't fo that anymore and it's kinda cumbersome to shave the left side of my face with my right hand but I am getting the hang of it.
My girlfriend will buy a brick and mortar house in Los Lunas in i the next year or so which means we are a bit closer to making the move a reality. She needs to do some rasks that a person has to do when they are moving from their current state (FromTexas to New Mexico). she will be back in New Mexico soon. she said that once she's back in New Mexico things will get done faster. it sounds like the move will be completed before winter starts. *HOPEFULLY* I haven't been sleeping well here the last 2-3 months because I am not *HOME* yet once I move in with her, I will finally be at *HOME* and I will be able to sleep better. still don't have a date when the move will take place. That most definitely will change in the next 2-6 weeks. I wil do another update when I have a firm date of the move.

Last edited:
I use a Merkur 41c/1904. Off the top of my head the positives are the chrome is ridiculously easy to clean; a very snug fit for a mass-produced razor; neutral or midrange in exposure and gap. I think people who prefer either aggressive or mild could make do without too many complaints. I'm told my one vintage is a pre-war Canadian tech and the heads of the two razors are very similar, if that helps.
At 51 the early stages of turkey neck are changing often enough that the open comb can get a bit bitey, but some of that is operator error.

What a great person you sound. I hope everything works out with the move with your girlfriend and things fall into place with your health, and of course your shaving.

Top Bottom