What's new

Blackland Blackbird worth it?

Any consensus on whether to get the Titanium Blackbird in polished or machine finish? Is it just about looks or does the polished version make for a slicker, smoother shave. I happen to like the machined look!

Last edited:

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
Wow that was a quick reply! You beat me before my edit! My name came up on the Wolfman list and in doing "which gap should I get" research I came across yours (and many others) enthusiastic posts for the Titanium Blackbird and you selling off your Wolfman, if I recall. So, I passed on the Wolf and now I'm going for the Bird!
I hope I didn’t steer you wrong! Both Birds and Wolfies are phenomenal shavers, and I am still likely to add a bronze WR2 to my den eventually. But the consistently great shaves I am getting from my TiBird are making me question the need for anything else.

I like the shine of polished, but as I ride the Bird very steep, I doubt there is significant difference in the shave itself.

I hope I didn’t steer you wrong! Both Birds and Wolfies are phenomenal shavers, and I am still likely to add a bronze WR2 to my den eventually. But the consistently great shaves I am getting from my TiBird are making me question the need for anything else.

I like the shine of polished, but as I ride the Bird very steep, I doubt there is significant difference in the shave itself.
I have the machined Blackbird and the machined Vector. Given my eye for the design of both razors, the machined finish is my preference. I also like a razor with a little weight so the TiBird is probably not heavy enough for me. Therefore to add weight to the Vector I use the Blackbird long handle. I have owned a couple of Wolfman Razors. Wolfman is an excellent razor however I sold both in favor of the Bird and the Vector. I have paired down a very large collection of razors both modern and vintage. If I decided to sell the remainder of my collection and only keep a few razors it would be the Bird, the Vector, and my Gillette Goodwills.

If you go for the Wolfman I agree with Dan, be different go Bronze.

4.jpg

I have also found the blackbird gives a closer and longer lasting shave compared to razors with bigger blade gaps.

I've used up to 1.23mm gap on the karve F and the shave was not as long lasting as the blackbird.
I've only had a few shaves with my polished Blackbird, so it's too soon to say for sure, but I'm not convinced it shaves more closely than my brass Karve CB with the G plate. It's nimbler and more maneuverable, but I can't say that one is better or more enjoyable to use than the other.

I've only had a few shaves with my polished Blackbird, so it's too soon to say for sure, but I'm not convinced it shaves more closely than my brass Karve CB with the G plate. It's nimbler and more maneuverable, but I can't say that one is better or more enjoyable to use than the other.

From my perspective, there's no end to blade gaps. One could do a 2mm gap and state it's the most efficient razor ever!

But for my daily 4 pass shaves, my skin tops out at around 1mm blade gap (with some positive exposure).

The karve F was fine for 2+ days growth but inflamed my skin by the 4th consecutive daily shave.

The BB's magic is that it gives me the F plate efficiency, without skin inflammation.
I've been using it daily for nearly 4 months and not one skin issue experienced.

From my perspective, there's no end to blade gaps. One could do a 2mm gap and state it's the most efficient razor ever!

But for my daily 4 pass shaves, my skin tops out at around 1mm blade gap (with some positive exposure).

The karve F was fine for 2+ days growth but inflamed my skin by the 4th consecutive daily shave.

The BB's magic is that it gives me the F plate efficiency, without skin inflammation.
I've been using it daily for nearly 4 months and not one skin issue experienced.
I don't have particularly sensitive skin. I used my Karve G daily on a two week trip recently and have it with me again on a one week trip. I didn't take the Blackbird, because I only used it 3 times and wasn't sure if I was entirely used to shaving with it.
Perhaps one reason I have less trouble with irritation is that I only do a two pass plus touchups shave.

I don't have particularly sensitive skin. I used my Karve G daily on a two week trip recently and have it with me again on a one week trip. I didn't take the Blackbird, because I only used it 3 times and wasn't sure if I was entirely used to shaving with it.
Perhaps one reason I have less trouble with irritation is that I only do a two pass plus touchups shave.

I'm looking forward to your further comparison and feedback on the blackbird once you've used it more.

It took me a few shaves to get used to it, as it's definitely quite different from the norm.

Top Bottom