What's new

Gillette British Spiral Tech

I just purchased my first Gillette Tech, the cap and guard manufactured in U.K., and the razor assembled in the U.S.A. by the safety razor division of the Gillette Company, Boston, Ma 02106 USA. The razor is new (never used), with the distinctive tartan-like knurled on the handle which I believe is made of aluminum. Don't know what the cap and guard are made of? Unlike the vintage pictures I saw, the cap is not engraved "Gillette," but is blank and the bottom plate just says Made In England. Researching tech razors on the web this might be originally manufactured in the 1980s for the British armed forces Falkland war - Spiral Tech DE safety razor made in uk, but I don't know? Any thoughts on what I have (picture attached).

My current razor is an iKon DLC slant, and although 👌 maybe not great! Just looking for a non-aggressive goto for a mild close shave!

Attachments

• GilletteTech.jpg
    GilletteTech.jpg
    629.1 KB · Views: 190
Yes. The spiral Tech is being offered for sale on an auction site for wildly different prices and descriptions.

There is a spiral Tech being sold as military surplus from the early 70's. It appears to be US Army issue.
It comes in a white box with black lettering. It is marked as the 'Adams Safety Razor' sold by the Clay Adams Co out of Parsippany, NJ. It says Made In Germany, which is odd as the razor is stamped made in England. I believe these are military issue. The headcap and plate are English. The aluminum handle may be German made.

There are so called 'Falklands War' UK sets being sold by a certain razor restoration company, with a small canvas pouch and a metal mirror. However I do not believe these to be authentic. I believe the company is using Clay Adams razors and repacking them.

The British Army did issue DE razors until the early 2000's but not in any pouch. The same company is selling refurbed Gillette Old types from 'WW1' in the same pouch and calling them repro 'Khaki Sets' *Sigh*. The pouch and mirror is useful for camping but historically false. The spiral Tech though was I believe the issue razor. From what I have read, many Falklands troops used the BIC disposables. The lads at the time were issued a wash roll which rolled up, like a tool roll. It had loops for the razor, soap, towel, shaving cream in tubes, etc.

Your example I believe is an early 70's Clay Adams. A real military-issue Tech. I have a 1964 English spiral Tech which I dated from Gillette blades (J-2) that came with it. It does not have the distinctive 'shoulder sides' of the late 60's-to early 80's Techs.

Your Tech will have a zinc top cap and a brass bottom plate if it is from the early 70's. No shame there, as all Techs had a zinc top cap after about 1962.

I hope this helps.

Last edited:

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
There are so called 'Falklands War' UK sets being sold by a certain razor restoration company, with a small canvas pouch and a metal mirror. However I do not believe these to be authentic. The British Army did issue DE razors until the early 2000's but not in this pouch as far as I am aware. The spiral Tech though was I believe the issue razor.
I saw those sets for sale some time ago. I too believe them to not be genuine British military issue and to my mind it was disgraceful, opportunistic marketing trading on proud British military history. It is one of the few products to actually make me angry at its mere existence. I knew right then that I had the measure of the company and its owners and they will never get a penny of my money, bankruptcy would be too good for them.

Thanks. I can't wait to let you all know how it performs. I find this business, which by all accounts should be a simple right of man passage, to be a confusing and expensive journey. With so many choices, so many fakes, and yet often times the proven recommendations I have been given are very difficult to find.

At the end of the day it seems I ended up with a reputable Gillette Tech. Thanks again!

There are so called 'Falklands War' UK sets being sold by a certain razor restoration company, with a small canvas pouch and a metal mirror. However I do not believe these to be authentic. I believe the company is using Clay Adams razors and repacking them.

The British Army did issue DE razors until the early 2000's but not in any pouch. The same company is selling refurbed Gillette Old types from 'WW1' in the same pouch and calling them repro 'Khaki Sets' *Sigh*. The pouch and mirror is useful for camping but historically false.

I'm pretty sure that I have seen some of those repro "Khaki Sets" on Ebay being advertised as genuine, with ridiculous asking prices 🙄

Chef455

Head Cheese Head Chef
Personally I don't "baby" any of my razors. I own several that are older than I am and I doubt their previous owners did anything more than swirl them around in the sink and change the blade when needed. That being said I do give them more respect than that. But a good rinse and left out to dry is all I'm good for. YMMV.

Your example I believe is an early 70's Clay Adams. A real military-issue Tech. I have a 1964 English spiral Tech which I dated from Gillette blades (J-2) that came with it. It does not have the distinctive 'shoulder sides' of the late 60's-to early 80's Techs.
What exactly is the difference between your 1964 English Spiral Tech and the early 70's Clay Adams in my example; is it the weight? Actually that is the one thing I enjoy about my iKon Slant, it is a hefty tool. That said, I am extremely happy to have this Spiral Tech razor. My Grandfather had a 1960's Gillette dial he gave me for college it had a plastic case with red background if I remember correctly. I used it, but back then I only shaved when I had to not like today. Actually, I wonder what ever happened to that razor.

It ain’t work, my friend. I wish more folks would use the Great Blade Exchange!
Dave - I would very much like to try a Wizamet, do you have any I could trade for? I have Feather Hi-stainless, Derby Extra, Personna Prep, KAI and Wilkinson available to trade with?

Yes. The spiral Tech is being offered for sale on an auction site for wildly different prices and descriptions.

There is a spiral Tech being sold as military surplus from the early 70's. It appears to be US Army issue.
It comes in a white box with black lettering. It is marked as the 'Adams Safety Razor' sold by the Clay Adams Co out of Parsippany, NJ. It says Made In Germany, which is odd as the razor is stamped made in England. I believe these are military issue. The headcap and plate are English. The aluminum handle may be German made.

The British Army did issue DE razors until the early 2000's but not in any pouch. The same company is selling refurbed Gillette Old types from 'WW1' in the same pouch and calling them repro 'Khaki Sets' *Sigh*. The pouch and mirror is useful for camping but historically false. The spiral Tech though was I believe the issue razor. From what I have read, many Falklands troops used the BIC disposables. The lads at the time were issued a wash roll which rolled up, like a tool roll. It had loops for the razor, soap, towel, shaving cream in tubes, etc.

Your Tech will have a zinc top cap and a brass bottom plate if it is from the early 70's. No shame there, as all Techs had a zinc top cap after about 1962.

I hope this helps.
Maybe you can help me place my British Spiral Tech. I got it as part of a rather extensive (and large) travel kit that is also marked as "Made in England" in lots of places. It weighs only 32 grams and has the look and feel of all aluminum (aluminium?).
PXL_20220611_203732965.MP.jpg

Razor is tucked away on the right edge of the kit (and yes, the reflected image of my ugly mug was intentional).
PXL_20220611_203830751.jpg

PXL_20220611_203851989.jpg

From the little investigation I've done, this looks like something that could have been made any time from the early 1960's onward. Any assistance dating this little guy is appreciated.

Top Bottom