What's new

Yaqi Beast 2, variant!

Who have tried the Yaki Beast, variant 1

• Yes

Votes: 6 27.3%
  • No

Votes: 16 72.7%

• Total voters
Nice reviews. There are at least 2 different OC slants; I got one when they first came out and I thought it was too "aggressive", used it a few times, no accidents but was not pleasant. Put it away and forgot about it. Then I read a few good reviews a year or two later and got another one (I forgot I had one). This one had less blade feel, neither a favorite..... . Now this year I actually used both of them and the older has a top cap at least 1mm smaller.... . This is pretty much like the Fatip V1 vs V2.....
The newer version I have , I can use it if needed for a one pass shave (probably the only one I have), maybe the RR Jaws (but I haven't used it in a few years).
That Helmet also has a lot of blade feel.....
These Yaqi and also the Fatip V1 have too much blade vibration (I can see why you use a shim).

Maybe one day I will use Yaqi vs Jaws and another day vs R41.....see if there is a significant difference. Right now the RR Lupo .95 OC is probably my favorite.....efficient and smooth.

I gave my flip to my brother.....

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Nice reviews. There are at least 2 different OC slants; I got one when they first came out and I thought it was too "aggressive", used it a few times, no accidents but was not pleasant. Put it away and forgot about it. Then I read a few good reviews a year or two later and got another one (I forgot I had one). This one had less blade feel, neither a favorite..... . Now this year I actually used both of them and the older has a top cap at least 1mm smaller.... . This is pretty much like the Fatip V1 vs V2.....
The newer version I have , I can use it if needed for a one pass shave (probably the only one I have), maybe the RR Jaws (but I haven't used it in a few years).
That Helmet also has a lot of blade feel.....
These Yaqi and also the Fatip V1 have too much blade vibration (I can see why you use a shim).

Maybe one day I will use Yaqi vs Jaws and another day vs R41.....see if there is a significant difference. Right now the RR Lupo .95 OC is probably my favorite.....efficient and smooth.

I gave my flip to my brother.....
I have the RR Lupo.72 and really enjoy that razor and was curious about the recent Lupo.95 OC, might have to buy the bottom plate some day. Thanks for the comments and it sounds like you like aggressive razors also, I can take or leave them.
I find doing a daily doubles interesting, I like to do a 2 pass(WTG +ATG) and then do a feel test to see what razor is more efficient and then finish the shave off with pickups. I find shorter handle works the best when steep shaving on aggressive razors to meter the blade feel better. If the razor seems comfortable you will have a great shave because it is mostly all blade feel and no pressure shaving IMO with these aggressive razors.(results can be stellar.)
Have some great shaves!

Ron R

I'll have to try the Flipside plate with the Mellon top cap. Did you do a review comparing the original Beast v1.0 to your v2.0?
I have the head to do a shave with for The Beast #1, but the Beast #2 side has the one side with that configuration already. The nice part of the Beast #2 you can flip the razor 180 degrees and you have a milder Beast #2 for the chin or other sensitive areas of the beard areas.

Ron R

DE SOTD, Thursday, July 7th 2022

Razor: Yaqi Beast#2, Mfg 2022 idea, parts are from different razor heads a lot of folks have, Top Cap from Razorock SLOC(Yaqi melon head top cap Alternative),Yaqi dual "flipside" base plate. Handle is from a Micromatic that was missing a blade stop & handle was salvaged. Basically a adjustable razor on the fly with just a 180 degree flip, open comb side is milder and the solid bar side is more aggressive. Some great shaves this combination produces for myself, very enjoyable shaving.
Blade : Gillette silver Blue(5) sharp & Smoooth with reasonable longevity. Favorite blade!
Soap : Cyril R Salter Indian Sandalwood, nice mid range scented Sandalwood with excellent lather qualities.
Brush : Yaqi Moka 26mm 2band badger, excellent lather generator, pillow like soft tips, great scrubber + great lather painter.
Pre shave : (Dedicated Cashmere synthetic)Brush wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser with a dollop of clear Aloe Vera on the cleaned beard area.
Prep : Cold water rinse after each pass of 2 + pickups. WTG + ATG + pickups.
Post shave : Proraso red Sandal wood with witch hazel + a dollop of CeraVe moisturizing lotion(scentless).
Results :CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + no weepers=:a17: Excellent shave with my Yaqi Beast#2 with a GSB blade.
SOTD July 7 2022.jpg

Have some great shaves!

Ron R

SLANTemper, Tuesday Sept 6th 2022

Razor : Yaqi Slant, Mfg 2019, Aggressive range, this slant when using a steep approach(riding the bar) is one of the smoothest slants out there, I do place a 1 shim under the blade because there is a lot of bottom blade reveal, lots of audio feedback and just a joy to use IMO. I like to use a short handle(75mm-80mm) with aggressive razors because less leverage + easy to manipulate quicker & less weight. The only time I get a weeper is when there is a blemish on my face sheared off + avoid plunking on face at start also because of blade exposure and it will perform very well. I get some of the best closest stellar shaves with this razor!
Blade : Gillette silver blue (5), sharp & smoooth + reasonable longevity.
Soap : Gillette Pure cream, nice 5-6/10 clean unique scent with excellent lather qualities. Make excellent ubber lather from left over hard soap remnants in shave bowl.
Brush : Yaqi Aqua High mountain silvertip badger, excellent lather generator, pillow soft hair tips, nice gentle splay scrubber + excellent lather painter.
Pre shave : (Dedicated Cashmere synthetic)Brush wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser with a dollop of clear Aloe Vera on the cleaned beard area.
Post shave : Pinaud Clubman AS with witch hazel + a dollop of CeraVe moisturizing lotion(scentless).
Results :CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + 1 blemish weeper=:a17: Excellent shave with my Yaqi slant with GSB blade. (It does not get any better a shave then this for myself.)
SOTD Septemper 6 2022.jpg

Have some great shaves!

DE SOTD, May 17th, 2022- Still testing some aggressive razor heads I bought recently.

Razor : Yaqi Knights helmet- Mfg 2019> aggressive range, I use a ridding the bar method to try and control the blade feel and it works, I keep trying not to forget coming in hot with the razor(plunking on skin) because it will nick you for sure. The razor works well for those folks who like a lot of blade feel, you will not be disappointed IMO. Light pressure works very well & I like a short handle 2 3/4inche long.
Blade : Gillette 7oClock SP(1) sharp & smoooth with reasonable longevity.
Soap : Gillette Pure cream, nice unique scent with excellent lather qualities. Make great ubber lather.
Brush : Yaqi Tailcoat 24mm synthetic, excellent lather creator, cloud like soft tips, nice scrubber + excellent lather painter.
Post shave : Proraso Green with witch hazel + a dollop of CeraVe moisturizing lotion(scentless).
Results :CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + 2 weepers=:a17: excellent shave with my Yaqi Knights helmet with a Gillette 7oClock SP blade.
SOTD May 17 2022.jpg

Have some great shaves!
Hey! I also paired the Helmet head with that Yaqi short handle! Isn't it a great match? :thumbup1:

For aggressive razors a short handle has a lot of advantages IMO + Steep angle (Riding the bar) makes them very enjoyable if a person likes those very close shaves!
I like to use the beast for 10+ days of growth, when I'm not in the mood to use a kamisori. It makes quick work of beastly growth and paves the way for a finishing razor like an Injector or a Tech. *sound of katana*

Ron R

@CzechCzar thanks for mentioning this razor months ago on another thread, it performs well and the shaves are stellar, might not be a daily shaver for some folks but it performs well.
I was over on the Yaqi site looking for the slant head and they do not have any at the moment, I hope they continue to make them. The problem might be a lot of Youtube shaving hosts seem to mention why even have this razor because it is aggressive........ maybe they should learn to shave instead of complaining about razors that companies developed and seem to sold a pile of them over the years. I find this razor very manageable to use when you use a simple technique of Steep shaving(riding the bar) with a short handle. I have other slants that will bite easier than this slant head IMO. Any ways thought it might be of interest for slant razor users out there.

The Knight Helmet is ridiculously blade forward, IMO. I could get a good shave with it, but I had to keep an extremely light touch. My approach was the opposite of yours; I would go as shallow as humanly possible.

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
@CzechCzar thanks for mentioning this razor months ago on another thread, it performs well and the shaves are stellar, might not be a daily shaver for some folks but it performs well.
I was over on the Yaqi site looking for the slant head and they do not have any at the moment, I hope they continue to make them. The problem might be a lot of Youtube shaving hosts seem to mention why even have this razor because it is aggressive........ maybe they should learn to shave instead of complaining about razors that companies developed and seem to sold a pile of them over the years. I find this razor very manageable to use when you use a simple technique of Steep shaving(riding the bar) with a short handle. I have other slants that will bite easier than this slant head IMO. Any ways thought it might be of interest for slant razor users out there.
I really hope they keep manufacturing it. I only have a few of the extra heads. It would be a shame for them to discontinue it. Just an absolutely wonderful shave!

Ron R

DE SOTD, OCtober 18th 2022

Razor : Yaqi Beast #2-Concockted 2022>, upper mid range. my concoction of different Yaqi head parts(Flipside Dual base plate + mellon top cap) to makes a aggressive upper mid range, great audio feedback(sizzling sound), no blade over hang on bottom plate like Beast #1 makes for no nicking ear lopes. The razor is more aggressive on the safety bar side than the open comb side slightly. Nice close shave with do real drama. Light touch with steep angle works for myself. I like OC on the chin area for great results.
Blade : Gillette 7oClock SP black(1) sharp & Smoooth with reasonable longevity. Top 5 tier blades for myself.
Soap : Razorock XXX, nice unique clean scent with excellent lather qualities.
Brush : Yaqi "black marble" 24mm silvertip, this brush has the largest bloom of any brush I own and very pleasurable to use, excellent lather generator, heavenly pillow like soft tips, nice splay scrubber + great lather painter. Bit of a lather hog but enjoy using it & observing this bloom it gives:laugh:. Still easy to get under the nose area using the edges of the brush.
Post shave : Razorock XXX aftershave with witch hazel + a dollop of CeraVe moisturizing lotion(scentless).
Results :CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + 1 small chin blemish weeper=:a17: excellent shave with my Yaqi Beast #2 with a Gillette 7oClock SP blade.
SOTD October 18 2022.jpg

Have some great shaves!

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
I have been using the YTAS every couple of days for months now. Time to switch to the beast for daily shaves!

Ron R

SE SOTD, Saturday, November 5th 2022, Some might consider this the biggest beast than other Yaqi razors like Beast 1 & 2 variants & Yaqi slant! It can be mastered with a few simple technique tweaks IMO.

Razor : Yaqi knights Helmet with a modified Micromatic handle, Mfg 2019> aggressive range, this razor is for those fellows who like blade feel or a challenge & it will not disappoint them. I like to use a steep approach(riding the bar) & defiantly a short handle to work the lower neck near collar bone area. It will give a close shave with a light touch and it takes a mature technique to enjoy a irritation free & weeper free shave IMO. Do not plunk this razor at the start of a stroke on your face because it more than likely will bite!
This must be Yaqi's most aggressive razor they offer even slightly more aggressive then the Yaqi slant razor IMO. I had a nice challenging error free & enjoyable shave this morning with stellar results.
Blade : Personna red (1) sharp & smooth with great longevity. Top 5 tier blade for myself.
Soap : Razorock Lavender :001_wub: this soap has been discontinued and it is one of my best soaps for lavender scent and full protection and they had a hard time selling it does not make sense but that is the nature of soaps to us for appeal. Italian barber(Razorock) should bring it back in a limited edition if possible so we can least load up. I'm on my 3rd tub and loving it, It is one of those soaps that does not grab you at first but over a few shaves it will astonish a person in masculine fragrance of lavender and lather qualities is outstanding.
Brush : Yaqi "purple haze" 24mm mew knot synthetic, excellent lather generator, cloud like soft tips, nice splay scrubber + excellent lather painter.
Post shave : Ach Brito Lavanda with witch hazel + a dollop of CeraVe moisturizing lotion(scentless).
Results :CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + no weepers=:a17: Excellent shave with my Yaqi knights helmet + drama free with a Personna red.
SOTD November 5 2022.jpg

Have some great shaves!

Last edited:

Ron R

DE SOTD, Thursday, Dec 1st, 2022, I have been on this kick recently with 2 stacked DE blades testing them on my slant razors(RR Wunderbar & Yaqi TA Slant) and it has a few pros and cons, it will tame the shave slightly in my RR Wunderbar and still give stellar shaves with out irritation or weepers. In my Yaqi slant the tolerances are not quite as accurate as the more expensive refined QC Razorock Wunderbar so the blades are skewed slightly differently then compared to my Wunderbar. The Yaqi slant results where still great but I'm not sure if there is any big advantage to a double stack with the Yaqi slant. I still used a shim underneath the Yaqi bottom primary blade because of large blade clamp reveal underneath (increases rigidity).
The disadvantage using the stacked blades is handling and that is not for every one I know but who can tell until tested + keeping it still interesting :detective:.
I will be testing the Yaqi Knights helmet next to see how the double stacked blades perform and will let you all know how that test performs. I was Watching Supie shaves on You-tube and he stacks his blades for head shaving in almost all this razors and this is where I got the notion to try it but he snips his blades in half and I do not see any advantage for face shaving so blades are left as original MFG specs!

Razor : Yaqi Top aggressive slant, Mfg 2019>, interesting slant and designed with blade exposure and it performs in that manner.
I like to use a steep approach (ridding the bar) with a short handle with aggressive razors. Experimenting with 2 stacked blades in some of my DE razors lately to see how they change performance. Yaqi performed OK with 2 X DE blades IMO.
Blade : Gillette Astra SP X 2- sharp & smoooth with excellent longevity.
Soap : Razorock Irish Country side, unique scent (Irish Creed?)+ excellent lather qualities.
Brush : Yaqi "Black marble" 24mm silvertip badger- excellent lather generator, heavenly pillow like soft tips, gentle splay scrubber + great lather painter.
Post shave : Razorock Irish Countryside with witch hazel + a dollop of CeraVe moisturizing lotion(scentless).
Results :CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + no weepers=:a17: Excellent shave with my Yaqi slant with 2 X Astra SP blades.
SOTD Dec 1 2022.jpg

2X stacked Astra blades..jpg
Yaqi slant double stacked with a bottom shim..jpg

Have some great shaves!

Ron R

DE SOTD, Saturday, Feb 3rd 2022

Razor : Yaqi Knights Helmet, Mfg 2019>, aggressive range, I like to use a steep approach(riding the bar) with a short handle gives good results + light touch is required for those stellar results. Experimenting with 2 stacked blades to see how it performs. Found that one side was shaving more aggressive than the other so accuracy of blades positioned is different. 4th time same blade uses in different razors & handling and photo's of these blades indicates time to be binned. Results where still excellent but mostly shaved on the tamed side for comfort & felt good shaving. Check to make blade is clamped tight in handle before starting to shave it seems the threaded stem of this head is slightly longer than normal, use a washer between handle and base plate or different handle.!
I believe this is Yaqi's most aggressive safety razor they manufacture!
Blade : Gillette Astra SP X2- sharp & smooth with great longevity.
Soap : Mitchells wool fat- nice mild clean scent with excellent lather qualities.
Brush : Yaqi "Robin" 24mm boar bristle, excellent lather generator, soft split end tips, great splay scrubber + great lather painter.
Post shave : Razorock Blue barber with witch hazel + a dollop of CeraVe moisturizing lotion(scentless)
Results :CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + no weepers=:a17: excellent shave with my Yaqi Knights helmet with 2 X Astra SP blades.
SOTD Dec 3 2022.jpg

(click on photo to enlarge!)
2X stacked Astra blades..jpg
Yaqi Knights helmet razor with 2 stacked Astra SP blades..jpg

Have some great shaves!

Ron R

You could pair it with the "Tony Monster" handle or the West Coast Shaving 175S handle. Then it would have a monstrous handle as well. :c6:
I have lots of handles and I just use a special aluminum copper spacer I use from those electrical wire adaptors and cut the stem off seems to work well over last 4 years. I just leave the aluminum coating on the other washers I have made over the years.
They work better than those nylon washers IMO. You can see on the base Plate where the handle had marred the chrome on my Razorock (Zamak head) German 37 slant head so I had to improvise to protect it.
The blue adaptor is the one I use but did not have any to show at that time. ( old archived photos from four years ago on another forum.)

1670088835382.png
1670088911469.png

Have some great shaves!

Top Bottom