What's new

Tell me the difference between Expensive razors and all the others?

But there is a caveat, that razor has a big learning curve. Requires a super steep angle...I’m not mastered the Wolfman yet. But is promising. If you shave steep, it’s super smooth. But resist the temptation to over-shave. If you master the angle, you can modify to a shallower angle to do the buffing.
Another point when it comes to factors looking at razors... in the same way that facial hair type, how often you need to shave, skin sensitivity come into play as to what makes a 'good/great' razor, and varies widely person to person... what technique is needed. I seldom do a 'relax and enjoy the shave' option, due to time, and whether I want a bath or a shower. Also, I'm a bit of klutz, so, I don't want a razor that has high technique needs. Not slamming your point at all, the opposite. Some people really like the perfect technique/technical aspects, and others like me want a razor that does a good job but is forgiving enough that in a rush I don't shred my shins, or get razor burn on my underarms. Obviously technique matters, and different razors have different needs, but a razor that I have to work very carefully and slowly with isn't going to work for me.

Me. Everyone else.
unlistenable...........unlistenable.
crappy, bad...........unlistenable
bad......................if I absolutely have to, please can we turn it off now
somewhat bad.......crappy, bad
kind of good..........bad
good....................somewhat bad
pretty good...........somewhat bad
really good............barely good
great....................good
really great...........good
awesome..............great
awesome..............really great
awesome..............fantastic
awesome..............super fantastic
awesome .............almost awesome....

You get the idea.
My slightly OCD tendencies was highly annoyed that the table didn't publish right, and then further annoyed because I could not figure out how to edit... so, being me, I had to fix it and post it again.

"I can easily spend $400 on one dinner with friends. For one evening. One dinner."

Either you are buying artisan burgers and dogs, or you invite a huge number of people over for dinner. :)
I would say the price estimate is inflated but...inflation.

Last edited:
Another point when it comes to factors looking at razors... in the same way that facial hair type, how often you need to shave, skin sensitivity come into play as to what makes a 'good/great' razor, and varies widely person to person... what technique is needed. I seldom do a 'relax and enjoy the shave' option, due to time, and whether I want a bath or a shower. Also, I'm a bit of klutz, so, I don't want a razor that has high technique needs. Not slamming your point at all, the opposite. Some people really like the perfect technique/technical aspects, and others like me want a razor that does a good job but is forgiving enough that in a rush I don't shred my shins, or get razor burn on my underarms. Obviously technique matters, and different razors have different needs, but a razor that I have to work very carefully and slowly with isn't going to work for me.
You need this:
100_5764.JPG

Impossible to cut, nick, scrape, burn. Swipe away in abandon at top speed without fear.

Attachments

• 100_5758.JPG
    100_5758.JPG
    800.8 KB · Views: 9
  • 100_5759.JPG
    100_5759.JPG
    730.4 KB · Views: 9
  • 100_5760.JPG
    100_5760.JPG
    777.1 KB · Views: 8
  • 100_5769.JPG
    100_5769.JPG
    738.5 KB · Views: 7
  • 100_5769b.JPG
    100_5769b.JPG
    614.4 KB · Views: 9

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Last night I went to my neighborhood's luxury market restaurant, spent over $200 for dinner for four, and had the kind of experience which calls me to question why we didn't go to Captain D's.

For some reason it's a super popular place having caught on with a certain set, folks who knowingly or not are very into impressing each other with material objects. We have had both very good and quite mediocre meals and service there. My plan is to not return even though it's a short walk from home.

Money spent does not always mean value gained, but sometimes it does. In the case of a razor it can be resold unlike a restaurant meal, particularly if the razor was expensive to begin with, worth the money, and in demand. Then it becomes a rental you returned to the market.

5-29-22.Sailor.CK-6.SV-HMW.640.JPG

Sometimes looks are the tip of the iceberg.​

It's a little bit embarrassing to me to know what I spent on my Master Collection Sailor, but, discounting the money, it's an incredible razor with incredible machining. Everything else about it is equally incredible including the very excellent shave it delivers.

The Sailor is a material object which impresses me a great deal.

My vintage Schick E-2 also impresses me. How they made those suckers for a few dimes just blows my mind.

I've enjoyed reading this thread. Thanks for all the great posts and points of view.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Last edited:
Last night I went to my neighborhood's luxury market restaurant, spent over $200 for dinner for four, and had the kind of experience which calls me to question why we didn't go to Captain D's.
UGG! I hate when that happens!
When it does, I immediately look at what I could've bought with that cash. But my wife wouldn't agree, Lol!!
She sees the $200 mediocre meal as having value, but a new razor, no way!!
Weird how that works!
By the way, I love Captain D's🙂

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
UGG! I hate when that happens!
When it does, I immediately look at what I could've bought with that cash. But my wife wouldn't agree, Lol!!
She sees the $200 mediocre meal as having value, but a new razor, no way!!
Weird how that works!
By the way, I love Captain D's🙂

Captain D's establishes a pretty good baseline. Food that's more expensive should be at least as good. Too often it's way more expensive and a good bit worse.

Sometimes my wife agrees. She wrote a very bad review on last night's restaurant. Most of the other bad reviews seem to focus on feeling unwelcomed because of not being in the in crowd club. My wife would literally divorce me if I joined that club not that I have any inclination to do so.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
The restaurants here have gone downhill since 2008 and never recovered, with a small group of exceptions. We have one bar here that has amazing food... all the time... sort of mid priced. One expensive restaurant that has remained consistently great but we only go there for very special occasions.... One local Mexican restaurant is still excellent.

That's about it. We make great meals at home so that's what we tend to do. We are both retired so we have no excuses for not cooking.

Now.. our youngest son lives in St. Petersburg, FL... and there are tons of great restaurants there in most price ranges.

This is a college/university town. College kids don't support great restaurants. I realize all generalities are false, including this one... but it does seem to be the case.

There aint much. I have some relatively expensive razors and what I have seen is a dedication to materiel, tolerances and quality of manufacturing. Other than that, if you get a great shave with a $2 razor...good for you.

Brother Chan, I quite agree with you about the E2. Fantastic razor, the best in my den. I got mine for $7. If only these guys would try one before spending mega$$$.

You need this:
View attachment 1466888
Impossible to cut, nick, scrape, burn. Swipe away in abandon at top speed without fear.
Um, no. I have no idea what the little gizmo is, but I'm quite fine with a regular DE razor. Some need more time then others to get the feel/technique, but if its so particular that it will take weeks/months, and/or that one has to be incredibly careful with it, then, its not for me... and by extension, possibly not for other people. It's just one more thing to consider when looking at razor purchases. I'm quite happy with my "new' Slim, which took about a week to get the technique down from what I was using before (open comb, Parker 26C). My other razor is a Superspeed Flare, you can pretty much "swipe away with abandon"... I'd have to put effort into hurting myself with it.

So, what is the little blue gizmo thingy?

These are all reasons I just spent the extra money. The reviews said mild with good safety and great for sensitive skin like bikini area. Also, I like to shave every day cause waiting makes it take longer and clogs the razors.
Also the handle. That grippy handle is just the best thing ever for using in the shower with slippery hands. Since it's all stainless it won't ever wear out.
I habe Feather AS D2

These are all reasons I just spent the extra money. The reviews said mild with good safety and great for sensitive skin like bikini area. Also, I like to shave every day cause waiting makes it take longer and clogs the razors.
Also the handle. That grippy handle is just the best thing ever for using in the shower with slippery hands. Since it's all stainless it won't ever wear out.
I habe Feather AS D2
Just looked it up (and am posting it here in case anyone else is interested... we all love pics). It's out of my price range, but I'm sure it is well worth the money.

1654401987002.png

As well, I'm pretty much a TTO person now. I'd been away from this forum for.. seven or so years, and came back when I needed advice on a new razor. My Parker 26C open comb was a bit too aggressive, and frankly I was tired fiddling with 3 part razors... so was looking for a butterfly, and ended up getting an adjustable to boot, a Gillette Slim, which I like a bit. Unlike you, I'm lazy and in summer I don't shave every day or even every other day, unless I know I'll be going out, and in winter, weeks have been known to go by... to TTO is great because its super easy to clean out. Needless to say 'bikini area' is not my thing since I don't even get my main legs done. Some hedge trimming to make a one piece low cut leg bathing suit look acceptable, and that's about it. Like you, handles are very important... yours looks great... when I see these sleek handles I just cringe, because I can see it flying out of my hand. I'm of that lovely age where chin hair is a thing. I plucked, then I plucked and did the cream thing... and finally, I gave in and just shaved. Given the taboos of women and body hair, even though I intellectually knew better, it just slayed me. It was interesting, because when I came back to the forum, the first few times I mentioned shaving my chin, I felt super embarrassed, and then after awhile it was whatever, its life. I do have a birthday Superspeed Flare, that is fine for my chin at the sink, but too mild for underarms and legs. The Slim adjustable is nice because I have three separate settings for chin, legs, underarms when I'm in the bath/shower.

Top Bottom