What's new

GIVEAWAY! Overseas Member Contest!!!

Unknown.png

It is time to have a contest that is set aside for those members who live overseas. Overseas is defined as not being in America so Canada and Mexico - you qualify.

In order to enter here is what you do:

1. Tell us what country you live in.
2. Tell us something about your country that Americans probably don't know. This can be a custom, a holiday, a popular food, an interesting landmark - it can be anything. The goal is that we would learn something new about your country.

Random.org will select two winners. Each winner will receive a $50.00 gift card to shop in our store right here.

Stay tuned to find out new info you never knew before and to see who random.org selects as our two winners!

Hi from Brazil !

Beer here is very very ICE COLD.

Avocado is eaten with sugar. Or drink as a milk shake.

Before the proliferation of fast food the traditional everyday Brazilian food is rice and cooked beans often with salad and some meat. Our main meal is lunch.

We love barbecue (churrasco). You think party, think friends, think churrasco and beer.

The whole country is not a rainforest with jaguars and monkeys everywhere. This is just extreme northwest, Amazon.

There is not Carnival all the year everywhere with people sambando and showing the butt. Just some cities during 5 days a year.

Last edited:
I’m a Brazilian too. ;)

I grew up in the eighties. For one decade, my country had a huge inflation, above two-digits per month (not per year, per month). Those times are crazy!

Every month, people stockpile consumer staples, soy oil, sugar, rice, beans, meat. As a kid, I don’t understand the situation, it’s always funny run to the supermarket and buy as much products as possible. To me was some kind of kids competition , run to get things as fast as we cans. I love buy oil can and built castles in our pantry. Kids have a lot of imagination :)

In the beginning of the nineties, inflation became hyperinflation. January 1990 had a 71.7% inflation, February had 71.7% and March had 81.3%. Every kind of price controls had been implanted, none of them worked. There were every kind of shortages. If you want to buy something, only in the black market.

Seems sad, but I had a happy childhood. It’s incredible how the human being is resilient. Inflation was a ordinary and daily thing, we just got used to it. ;)

Amazing generosity Scott!

I'm from Canada and will be in. We have ketchup flavoured chips in Canada, which aren't available in US. I don't like them but they are here 🤣
We don't have ketchup flavoured chips in the US, but we do have ketchup flavored chips. :c9: I can remember them as far back as the early 90's.

I love Dill Pickle flavored chips, but we don't buy chips. If we did we'd eat them all quickly and that would be bad.

We don't have ketchup flavoured chips in the US, but we do have ketchup flavored chips. :c9: I can remember them as far back as the early 90's.

I love Dill Pickle flavored chips, but we don't buy chips. If we did we'd eat them all quickly and that would be bad.
My assumed world has turned upside down. 🙃 but I don't look actively for them. I heard Smarties and Coffee Crisp are Canadian candies.

My wife loves Smarties and they're everywhere, but I've never heard of Coffee Crisp. I guess you've got that. It looks quite tempting. I might have to order some.:thumbup1:

In my previous post, I didn't post something Americans might not know about Ireland. Yes, there are thatched roofed buildings, no, they are not everywhere.

The language used by most Irish people could possibly offend those of a "delicate disposition". It is generally not meant to be offensive but can often be mistaken as such by those unaccustomed to it.

In my previous post, I didn't post something Americans might not know about Ireland. Yes, there are thatched roofed buildings, no, they are not everywhere.

The language used by most Irish people could possibly offend those of a "delicate disposition". It is generally not meant to be offensive but can often be mistaken as such by those unaccustomed to it.

Okay, now that just begs for examples. Tell us some so we have an idea. Within reason, of course! If those of a delicate disposition are put off I'd be glad to visit with them. If it is over the line I can have it deleted.

Okay, now that just begs for examples. Tell us some so we have an idea. Within reason, of course! If those of a delicate disposition are put off I'd be glad to visit with them. If it is over the line I can have it deleted.
Without going into specifics, I visited New York in 2018 and called into a local imbibing emporium where I chanced upon another gent from Ireland. I had been in the US all of two hours at that point. As we do, we began a conversation. The other gent had been in NY for a number of years, and said to me to keep an eye on my language. He had just said that when the barmaid approached and asked (told) me to keep the language family friendly.

Fair enough I thought, your ball, your rules. I was in a pub, drinking age is 21, yet I was asked to mind my language. The other guy just laughed and pointed out to the barmaid I only arrived in the country and was for all intents an purposes, an unsophisticated hick who knew no better. I thought I had toned my language down. For the rest of the week I tried to mimic how I heard locals speaking and had no further issues.

As a general rule, the worse the language, the better they like you.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Without going into specifics, I visited New York in 2018 and called into a local imbibing emporium where I chanced upon another gent from Ireland. I had been in the US all of two hours at that point. As we do, we began a conversation. The other gent had been in NY for a number of years, and said to me to keep an eye on my language. He had just said that when the barmaid approached and asked (told) me to keep the language family friendly.

Fair enough I thought, your ball, your rules. I was in a pub, drinking age is 21, yet I was asked to mind my language. The other guy just laughed and pointed out to the barmaid I only arrived in the country and was for all intents an purposes, an unsophisticated hick who knew no better. I thought I had toned my language down. For the rest of the week I tried to mimic how I heard locals speaking and had no further issues.

As a general rule, the worse the language, the better they like you.
So now instead of asking people to excuse my French, I can honestly say, "please excuse my Irish" since me Da was about half that.

Loved his beer and a good fight! Then he quit drinking and mostly his fighting stopped. But he always loved starting arguments and then leaving! But one of the kindest people I ever knew.

If there is a more contradictory people than the Irish I ain't met 'em.

Thanks for bringing a happy tears to my eye friend!

I'm going to withdraw my previous statement being in. I'd like to be out, only because I am fortunate to have a few of Captain's items and would rather give the opportunity to someone who doesn't have any or this provides opportunity to order from the Cap directly.

All this talk of pubs, makes me want a pint. Might be ordering some shave supplies after a pint or two 🤣

I'm in...

I live in Japan.

On Valentine's Day in Japan, women give the men chocolate. Since Japanese do
not want people to feel left out, even men who are not the target of a woman's
affection such as co-workers or friends can get chocolate on February 14th. This is
known as "obligation chocolate" (giri-choco) as opposed to treats for true sweethearts
(honmei-choco).

On March 14, there is another holiday called "White Day" where the recipients of the
chocolate on Valentine's Day should reciprocate with something white: white chocolate,
cakes, gifts...anything white (originally it was marshmallows). Actually, the gift does not
have to be white but that is the tradition.

I hope this was what you were looking for, Captain.

Screen Shot 2022-05-29 at 11.22.04 AM.png

Last edited:
hands-holding-word-winners-against-spot-light-background-digitally-composite-image-87969001.jpg

Well, it has been a week now so it is time for random.org to select the two winners. We had three entries so those are some pretty good odds at winning!

Let's extend our congratulations to:

1. @hugosf
2. @Sukeroku

If you are a winner you have $50.00 to spend in our store. Send me a PM and here is what you tell me:

1. Tell me what you have chosen from our store
2. Give me your address so I can send it to you.

Thank you and congratulations!

Last edited:
Top Bottom