What's new

My DE razor is absolutely perfect! Does this mean I don’t need to buy any others?

In my opinion, the determining factor is how a particular razor shaves, not how much it costs. ;)

My Schöne set me back ~$25 brand new. I use it frequently on Fatip Fridays. :)
Very true but after spending a few weekends stalking estate sales, I‘ve noticed a generation of shavers bought cheap razor after cheap razor chasing something by the shear volume of used razors available at these sales. I still haven’t found a diamond in the rough yet either at these sales. 🤔

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
Very true but after spending a few weekends stalking estate sales, I‘ve noticed a generation of shavers bought cheap razor after cheap razor chasing something by the shear volume of used razors available at these sales. I still haven’t found a diamond in the rough yet either at these sales. 🤔

If your looking for the diamond in the rough, I think his name was Aladdin. :lol:

Alright, now that I am done being a smarty tooshoes, on a more serious note, if your looking for that holy grail razor, you may want to be looking for a Timeless Titanium. ;)

If your looking for the diamond in the rough, I think his name was Aladdin. :lol:

Alright, now that I am done being a smarty tooshoes, on a more serious note, if your looking for that holy grail razor, you may want to be looking for a Timeless Titanium. ;)
I am blessed with already owning my grail SR and DE that deliver boringly great shaves everyday. I am not a titanium fanboy for DE razors; SS for the weight and maintenance free durability. I do enjoy my Ti cyclocross bicycle for the weight savings and feedback. 😉

Congratulations on finding “The ONE” DE razor.
I’ve heard great reports about the Yates razor and am glad that it is DE awesome-sauce for you.
Now, the real answer to your question.
Keep searching? Maybe!

If you are interested, I can send you an SE razor or two and some blades. (I’m thinking a GEM MicroMatic Open Comb and GEM Damaskene.)
These will be GEM Razors and GEM PTFE blades.
They are totally different than your beloved Yates and might just inspire a different type of razor love that provides immensely great shaves.
Just let me know if you want to try the SE, I think it stands for Super Excellence, or something like that, and I’ll enable (oops, I mean ship those to you) your dive into SE.
Tim
Very kind of you! Something new to research, as I know little about SE razors.

Reactions: GNR
Of course, my inexpensive razor brings me pleasure even after about 1,000 shaves. It dances will with Astra SP blades and ARKO. And a new one is only $13.29.

Awesome. I am this way with beer, I much prefer Busch Light living in the land of craft beer breweries. My friends look at me with a stink eye whenever I ask the brewmaster “what do you offer on tap that tastes like Busch Light or PBR?” I just don’t care because it’s all about that cheap beer taste that I prefer. Whiskeys, rums, and tequilas are a different story, I have a champagne taste for these guys and gals.

You've made my day because I just ordered a Yates with M & H plates from their Memorial Day sale.

But you must tell us what your "mediocre" razor is/was.
Yes, it was the Merkur 38c. I only call it mediocre now, because the Yates 921 is so much nicer, IMHO. The Yates feel, weight (especially), and aesthetics are more to my liking.

Also, I do like the H-plate, as it produces more efficient shaves, with fewer touchups needed after three passes.

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

I am blessed with already owning my grail SR and DE that deliver boringly great shaves everyday. I am not a titanium fanboy for DE razors; SS for the weight and maintenance free durability. I do enjoy my Ti cyclocross bicycle for the weight savings and feedback. 😉

Hey, I like heavy razors too! Do you own a Rex Ambassador? Think of a T-Rex, and turn him into an adjustable razor, and that pretty much sums up the Rex Ambassador. Its heavy like a dino, its got a solid bight like one, but man oh man is it efficient! Smooth, hmm, not so much, it doesn't earn that classification IMO.

My Merkur Futur which weighs a heck of a lot more, does earn the classification of smooth, but what it lacks, is in the quality department, as its a plated razor. Therefor, TT TI95 is the kind of my shave den, ye sir! BTW, glad to hear that you already have a grail razor, and that you are happy with it, even if it, as you put it produces, boringly great shaves everyday hehe.

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

I thought I would get addicted to buying things, but I love my perfect razor and haven't even thought of buying another.
I would buy soap but nothing will run out.
Ho hum.
Now I collect moisturizer. That's so fun.

I like to use lotians for moisturizers. Ya ya I know, most dudes don't like to use them for whatever reason, but I like them. As long as they have a good scent, and are not overpowering on the flowery side of the spectrum, I enjoy them. Both in the winter and the summer, my skin gets so dry. I suffer from dry skin just in general. About the only time I have relief from dry skin, is spring and fall.

What is your most favorite moisturizer and why? Like, which one, moistuirizes your skin the most, where you feel like you can tackle on a super dry winter's day, or stand being baked in the hot summer sun? I also do lawncare on the side, so I do get pretty baked in the summer sun, enough that I have to use Banana Boats Aloe Vera with vitamin E, the green gel in a bottle product.

I like to use lotians for moisturizers. Ya ya I know, most dudes don't like to use them for whatever reason, but I like them. As long as they have a good scent, and are not overpowering on the flowery side of the spectrum, I enjoy them. Both in the winter and the summer, my skin gets so dry. I suffer from dry skin just in general. About the only time I have relief from dry skin, is spring and fall.

What is your most favorite moisturizer and why? Like, which one, moistuirizes your skin the most, where you feel like you can tackle on a super dry winter's day, or stand being baked in the hot summer sun? I also do lawncare on the side, so I do get pretty baked in the summer sun, enough that I have to use Banana Boats Aloe Vera with vitamin E, the green gel in a bottle product.
For face its I like Tatcha, Elmis, and Shoshido. There are many good ones.
For body. The big face body first aid for your skin. It's luxury. Bum bum cream or Hemps triple moisture is also good.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Thanks- I was kind of thinking it was the thrill of shopping. I'm on a couple of audiophile forums and some of these guys throw money around in a way that would make your head spin. I'm talking $1K for one meter speaker cables and $4K+ headphones. Yet, nothing can be shown to be superior to anything else. It looks the same on graphed data. I chalk it up to the fact that it just makes people happy. Subjective, in other words.
Honestly, I like new stuff, so I justify the acquisition of new stuff in any way that I can. It is actually a little bit sinful...... EXCEPT that I'm debt free, have no expensive hobbies.......etc.....

See what I did there?

I was proving that I am not rational, but am VERY good at rationalization!

The ONLY disorder related to this silly hobby that I love, that I doubt I will ever be cured of, is SCENTS! I could own 2 of every aftershave and cologne and it STILL wouldn't be enough!

Yes, it was the Merkur 38c. I only call it mediocre now, because the Yates 921 is so much nicer, IMHO. The Yates feel, weight (especially), and aesthetics are more to my liking.

Also, I do like the H-plate, as it produces more efficient shaves, with fewer touchups needed after three passes.
My first razor was the Merkur 33c, which is said to have the same head. Everytime I go back to it, I realize what a great razor it really is. The 38c being a 2 piece rather than a 3 piece, it would have to have different molds from the 33c. So there is a chance it could be slightly different. Throw in the tolerance factor, and wear to the molds, and your 38c head could be very different from my 33c, which I purchased 8 years ago. I believe Merkur remade some molds within that time frame, too.

Top Bottom