What's new

Razorock Lupo .58

Hello gents,

I Haven’t read much about this razor yet. I’m looking for a 3pc stainless replacement for my 34C for travel. I shave every 2-3 days. A couple other razors I’ve already tried: Game Changer (don’t like blade posts on the plate instead of cap) and the Lupo .72 which had too much blade feel. Envoy was too aggressive (such a good looking razor!) and I’m sure a couple others I can’t think of. I’m not interested in vintage at this point.

I’m not giving up my gunmetal gray titanium Henson Medium, I’m just after a nice smooth little razor that won’t make me cry if it gets lost or stolen.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I shave every three days and like an open comb in this regard. The Lupo head with the open comb on one side and the solid bar on the other serves me well in this regard, but it is aggressive. Again, that is for shaving every three days. Open comb on the first pass to remove the longish whiskers and the solid bar for the second, closer pass and touch-ups.

Every now and then, I think about returning to a day-to-day shaving routine. There, the Lupo .58 appeals to me as it promises to be milder on my face. Not the closest shave, but a day-to-day shave to avoid walking around with a shadow for two days out of three.

I shave every three days and like an open comb in this regard. The Lupo head with the open comb on one side and the solid bar on the other serves me well in this regard, but it is aggressive. Again, that is for shaving every three days. Open comb on the first pass to remove the longish whiskers and the solid bar for the second, closer pass and touch-ups.

Every now and then, I think about returning to a day-to-day shaving routine. There, the Lupo .58 appeals to me as it promises to be milder on my face. Not the closest shave, but a day-to-day shave to avoid walking around with a shadow for two days out of three.
Thanks for that. I didn’t add that I had the Lupo DC also. I went down the more aggro path before I had really nailed my lather/technique.

But I think you may be right, the .58 might be nice for the day-to-day.

Hello gents,

I Haven’t read much about this razor yet. I’m looking for a 3pc stainless replacement for my 34C for travel. I shave every 2-3 days. A couple other razors I’ve already tried: Game Changer (don’t like blade posts on the plate instead of cap) and the Lupo .72 which had too much blade feel. Envoy was too aggressive (such a good looking razor!) and I’m sure a couple others I can’t think of. I’m not interested in vintage at this point.

I’m not giving up my gunmetal gray titanium Henson Medium, I’m just after a nice smooth little razor that won’t make me cry if it gets lost or stolen.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Lupo Aluminum!
It's my travel razor. It's nimble, lightweight, maneuverable, efficient, excellent quality and cheap ($30)!
The blade feel is supposed to be on par with the Lupo .58 and the blade gap is about .61 (Razorock does not publish it's exact blade gap).
I also have the stainless Lupo .72 which has been my daily driver till now.
I highly recommend the aluminum version!
I also noticed that you said that you used the Lupo .72. Did you sell it?
Because if you didn't, you can just buy the stainless .58 base plate for $38!

Last edited:
Lupo Aluminum!
It's my travel razor. It's nimble, lightweight, maneuverable, efficient, excellent quality and cheap ($30)!
The blade feel is supposed to be on par with the Lupo .58 and the blade gap is about .61 (Razorock does not publish it's exact blade gap).
I also have the stainless Lupo .72 which has been my daily driver till now.
I highly recommend the aluminum version!
I also noticed that you said that you used the Lupo .72. Did you sell it?
Because of you didn't, you can just buy the stainless .58 base plate for $38!
Wow, that’s an enthusiastic recommendation! But… I’m really partial to somewhat heavier razors. But light is good for travel. I’ll take a look, I think I had not realized there was still an AL version of the Lupo for sale.

I did sell both the .72 and the DC Lupos. That was before the .58 came out. Had the discontinued Radio Knob handle, too. Oh well.

Wow, that’s an enthusiastic recommendation! But… I’m really partial to somewhat heavier razors. But light is good for travel. I’ll take a look, I think I had not realized there was still an AL version of the Lupo for sale.

I did sell both the .72 and the DC Lupos. That was before the .58 came out. Had the discontinued Radio Knob handle, too. Oh well.
I like heavy razors as well but for travel, the light weight aluminum Lupo is really good (at least for me). It's good in the toiletry bag, it's rugged and like I said, it's cheap. If it gets lost or breaks, it's not a big loss. And boy does it have audible feedback when you shave!
I actually had the aluminum version first and liked how it shaved so much that I then bought the SS .72!
I had considered the .58 and had emailed Razorock about it. They said that the .58 would be the closest in specs to the aluminum version. But in the end, I chose the .72 because for the day to day, I prefer a little more aggression. Honestly, you can't go wrong with either the aluminum or stainless Lupo!
LRod

Hello gents,

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I have the Lupo 72 and 58.

The 58 has more blade feel than the Henson medium but it's not overbearing like the 72 can feel. I enjoy the 58 and can use it regularly, as opposed to the 72. The 58 still feels like a Lupo though, which is a good thing. I would pick the 58 over the 34C any day of the week, no contest.

But the 72 is definitely the closer shaver, and for me it's smoother than the 58 despite having more blade feel.

I would pick the 58 over the 34C any day of the week, no contest.
I never understood the love for the Merkur. I have the 33C which is the same head as the 34C and bought it (early in my shaving journey) because of the praise they get. No matter what blade I tried, it had zero efficiency. It always left spots that needed buffing even after 3 passes. The equivalent Parker (97R) had what the Merkur was missing and I used that for a while until I ended up with other really efficient razors.

I have the Lupo 72 and 58.

The 58 has more blade feel than the Henson medium but it's not overbearing like the 72 can feel. I enjoy the 58 and can use it regularly, as opposed to the 72. The 58 still feels like a Lupo though, which is a good thing. I would pick the 58 over the 34C any day of the week, no contest.

But the 72 is definitely the closer shaver, and for me it's smoother than the 58 despite having more blade feel.
Thank you sir. I read that another user had the .95 and found it smoother than the .72, very interesting. Glad to hear from someone that has the 34C/58/72.

I remember the .72 being a very agile feeling razor—very different from the Henson, which is great, I like having both. I think of the Lupo as more like a scalpel and a Henson like a woodworking plane, both great tools.

I never understood the love for the Merkur. I have the 33C which is the same head as the 34C and bought it (early in my shaving journey) because of the praise they get. No matter what blade I tried, it had zero efficiency. It always left spots that needed buffing even after 3 passes. The equivalent Parker (97R) had what the Merkur was missing and I used that for a while until I ended up with other really efficient razors.
It was my first…💘 it certainly isn’t the most efficient razor, but I just put in the slightly wider Kai blade and that makes it a nice shaver. I’m sorta trying to recreate that smoothness with just a little more bite…

At one point I had the 33C and put the Rex Envoy handle on it. That added weight and a Kai blade really helped. A little frankenrazor for sure. :)

It was my first…💘 it certainly isn’t the most efficient razor, but I just put in the slightly wider Kai blade and that makes it a nice shaver. I’m sorta trying to recreate that smoothness with just a little more bite…

At one point I had the 33C and put the Rex Envoy handle on it. That added weight and a Kai blade really helped. A little frankenrazor for sure. :)
I never did try a Kai on it so maybe that would've helped. I'd have to take my 33C out of the back of the cabinet in order to try that out, LOL!!
Don't get me wrong, Merkur was my first as well (23C) but I didn't know anything else and eventually discovered that I needed something with more efficiency. But for a start, it did it's job. Anyways, hope you find what you seek and please post your results. Always interesting to hear stories of shavers finding the right one!
LRod

Reactions: Kix
I shaved exclusively with the 34C for more years than I care to admit but was never impressed by it. Back then there weren't nearly as many options as today though, so I thought the Merkur is as good as it gets.

Thank you sir. I read that another user had the .95 and found it smoother than the .72, very interesting. Glad to hear from someone that has the 34C/58/72.

I remember the .72 being a very agile feeling razor—very different from the Henson, which is great, I like having both. I think of the Lupo as more like a scalpel and a Henson like a woodworking plane, both great tools.
I've read the same about the 95 but it's kind of moot with that amount of blade feel, which is why I opted for the 72 :)
I also have the Henson.

Not sure exactly what you are looking for, but if low blade feel - high efficiency is on your list, I would be remiss not mention the Start 2 with 0.90 plate I used yesterday, I even mentioned the Lupos there.
Superbly smooth, efficient, while virtually "impossible" to nick yourself. Only downside is it's a bit hard to get hold of these days.

I was one of those that find the Lupo 95 smoother and less irritating than the 72. Only thing I can reason is the wider gap allows for a steeper angle shave.....as that is my angle preference. The 72 left my face red in some areas where as the 95 never does. Sold them both and then picked up the 95 again just recently.

Not sure exactly what you are looking for, but if low blade feel - high efficiency is on your list, I would be remiss not mention the Start 2 with 0.90 plate I used yesterday, I even mentioned the Lupos there.
Superbly smooth, efficient, while virtually "impossible" to nick yourself. Only downside is it's a bit hard to get hold of these days.
Hi,

Like I mentioned above in my first post, I’m looking for a travel replacement for my 34C with a number of conditions. My main concern is that I don’t like a lot of blade feel.

I won’t be getting the Start 2 as I have a number of Ukrainian friends.

I had an interesting observation though. At one point I had a couple of Karve Christopher Bradleys, which have spectacular machining. And I tested a variety of plates from the SB-A to the OC-E (OUCH). After eliminating the very mild and very aggressive, I settled on testing the SB-B and the SB-C. And I ended up liking the SB-B with a Kai, over the SB-C. So, a slightly smaller gap, with a slightly wider Kai blade and concomitantly more blade exposure, over the SB-C with a larger gap and a regular blade. It seems like splitting hairs… but that’s where I ended up. I didn’t like having to ride the cap all the time with the CBs, so I sold them even after spending some time force patinating them, which turned out beautifully: Here and here.

So, will I get a similar shave with the Lupo .58 that I did with the Karve SB-B/Kai? Different geometry, so I think… I’ll just have to get the Lupo .58 and see…

I had a Lupo 72 and now have a Lupo 58 with a titanium handle. The Lupo 58 has less blade feel but is very effective. This is a razor for those who are tired of being afraid to cut themselves. I would recommend using it with Nacet or Feather blades.
I always had that feeling of being about to cut myself when using a Feather in the Envoy. I do not like that sensation.

I was one of those that find the Lupo 95 smoother and less irritating than the 72. Only thing I can reason is the wider gap allows for a steeper angle shave.....as that is my angle preference. The 72 left my face red in some areas where as the 95 never does. Sold them both and then picked up the 95 again just recently.
Hey, there ya go, I wasn’t just imagining it. Very interesting observations about geometry. I had the Lupo Dual Comb and both sides were just too much for me.

A couple other razors I’ve already tried: Game Changer (don’t like blade posts on the plate instead of cap) and the Lupo .72 which had too much blade feel.
The 34C was my first DE razor and I never really enjoyed using it much.
What I dislike most is that the blade doesn't always align properly.
Currently I'm using the GC .84 as well as the Lupo .95 and waiting for a Lupo .72 which is in shipping.
The GC .84 feels pretty close to the 34C in terms of aggressiveness but to me is more efficient. Like you I didn't care for the blade going onto the plate at first but got very used to it after a while. Now I actually prefer it over the blade on the cap method.
Depending on the blades used, the GC .84 is an extremely smooth razor and very efficient. I can get the same results as I can with the Lupo .95 with less likelihood of getting nicks and weepers.
The blade gap in the Lupo .58 would probably be a bit too little for my preference, but as always ymmv.

Top Bottom