What's new

Muehle R41 compared to my vintage razors

It's been quite a while since I shaved with an all metal DE razor. The reason is I jumped the rabbit hole of vintage razors. More specific: bakelite and "plastic" razors. Most in my collection are from around 1935, but I have some from as late as the sixties. Because they are usually rather aggressive, I like them a lot. Especially my head shaves have been extremely close since I fell in love with this category of vintage razors. And I have used them. A lot. in fact: exclusively, for months.
I have thought of letting all my metal razors go, sell them, or give them to my sons or son in law, whom I converted to DE razors.
But because most of these razors are carefully selected on their aggression, I am too reluctant to part with them
That's why I decided to use them all during June GRUME and thought it a good idea to start immediately, digging up the R41.
Now, this razor has a fierce reputation. I remember using it for the first time: I was nervous. But because my technique had improved after listening to some fellow members, the first shave with the feared Muehle was quite good. For a while I considered it my most aggressive razor, untill I purchased some of the Yaqi freak brothers. If you don't know how to use those, they eat you.
When I became focused on bakelite vintage, I discovered most of these razors are very aggressive. So, I kind of forgot about my metal razors.
I have been wondering about the nature of my vintage razors. They were widely used, so my conclusion was: men in those days were highly skilled in using aggressive razors. Most DE razors we use now are much milder.
I attached a picture of one of my vintages. Look at the blade exposure and blade gap. You can imagine it takes some technique to use these.
Back to the Muehle R41. Blade gap, nor exposure seem extreme. In fact: apart from the open comb, the R41 looks kind of mild. But it is not. This razor delivers a very close shave. Maybe not the extreme closeness many of my vintages produce, but closer than most other modern razors I've used. And looking at the construction, I think that is a great achievement from the Muehle engineers. I mean: most of my vintages need huge blade gap and exposure to deliver a superb shave, the Muehle seems almost modest in comparison. I was very pleased with result of yesterdays shave with the R41. Good BBS, two passes and a few minor touch ups.
I'd say with a little advanced technique, the Muehle R41 could easily be a fantastic daily driver. It is not the monster some claim it is. It is a sweet, effective and easy razor. I'm glad I kept it.

11417EC7-4A8F-4C57-A036-49E60B9030F9.jpeg

ED057950-BE80-46EF-A1C3-EBF624E9BBCC.jpeg

I love my R41s but, as you say, they aren't the most aggressive of DE razors by a long way. If you've just upgraded from an R89, Parker or some similar "beginner" razor then they are fantastic and don't clog easily. I always struggled to get a BBS shave with an R41, though, so they've dropped out of my regular rotation.

I like the Muhle R41, newer version and have sometimes experimented using different top caps (it changes how it shaves). BTW from what I could see: your first picture is a Muhle handle but the plate does not look like an R41 -- has a typical open comb in it and R41 is a different thing....
Last: I bought a "bakelite" slant razor on line, said "German", the only thing in common with the only bakelite German I have is the color. This slant, if coming apart, blade fit is bad and I would bet it's some sort of "East German" , DDR, contraption........

I like the Muhle R41, newer version and have sometimes experimented using different top caps (it changes how it shaves). BTW from what I could see: your first picture is a Muhle handle but the plate does not look like an R41 -- has a typical open comb in it and R41 is a different thing....
Last: I bought a "bakelite" slant razor on line, said "German", the only thing in common with the only bakelite German I have is the color. This slant, if coming apart, blade fit is bad and I would bet it's some sort of "East German" , DDR, contraption........
I was thinking the same thing.....Muhle handle but not an R41 head.

Hmm, I use my R41 daily and find it pretty rough going. Every once in a while I let my face heal by using my Merkur Slant for a week.
I guess that depends on your skin.
I shave to the max and many times my AS stings, but I like that.
Maybe there's a difference in skin on my chin and scalp too.
My head skin feels leathery.

That's odd. I'm sure I didn't change the plate.
East-block countries did "copy" many razors, so you might be right there.
They are rarely bakelite.
On top of that sellers try to attract buyers claiming a razor was used by the Nazi armies.

The R41 only has eight "teeth". The razor in your photo has a lot more than that, but it does have a Muhle handle. Your razor head doesn't appear to be a Merkur OC, either.
Hi Jack, from the looks (but it could be the angle of the photo) of it your baseplate is not the R41. In addition to what @NorthernSoul said the R41 is kind of a mix between open comb and safety bar. So the teeth are open yet connected by a small bar. The baseplate is quite thick too with very little blade curvature (which attributes to the R41s aggressiveness).

It isn’t Merkur either indeed, because Merkur doesn’t have rounded bottom side too it’s baseplates. More like an arch with wings I would say. It appears to be the handle though.

At least that’s what I am picking up from these photos.

If necessary you could pick up a Mühle head from thealphamen.nl they sell them for €18.

Cheers,

Guido

Hi Jack, from the looks (but it could be the angle of the photo) of it your baseplate is not the R41. In addition to what @NorthernSoul said the R41 is kind of a mix between open comb and safety bar. So the teeth are open yet connected by a small bar. The baseplate is quite thick too with very little blade curvature (which attributes to the R41s aggressiveness).

It isn’t Merkur either indeed, because Merkur doesn’t have rounded bottom side too it’s baseplates. More like an arch with wings I would say. It appears to be the handle though.

At least that’s what I am picking up from these photos.

If necessary you could pick up a Mühle head from thealphamen.nl they sell them for €18.

Cheers,

Guido
Just checked all my metal razors, but the one @NorthernSoul showed is not mixed up with one of them. In fact: none of the base plates looks like it. Can't figure out what is wrong. I did notice the base plate in my supposed R41 looks a lot like the fatip piccolo. Maybe someone at the seller mixed them up.
I'll order the correct head today and report back on my thoughts on the REAL R41.
Quite embarrissing, this ☺️

Last edited:
Just checked all my metal razors, but the one @NorthernSoul showed is not mixed up with one of them. In fact: none of the base plates looks like it. Can't figure out what is wrong. I did notice the base plate in my supposed R41 looks a lot like the fatip piccolo. Maybe someone at the seller mixed them up.
I'll order the correct head today and report back on my thoughts on the REAL R41.
Quite embarrissing, this ☺️
Nothing of the sort Jack on the embarrassing part! I bet you can teach us a thing or two about distinguishing Bakelite razors even with your eyes closed. All a master of focus. And don’t forget we non-Bakelites have that R41 so imprinted in our brains as THE Beast (and there are others even more beastly) we are more acutely aware that we are staring the beast in the eyes 😅.

And truth be told, all credits are for @Filudo here. I myself was going along your story too much to really notice the difference.

I have been considering getting an R41 myself (I have Fatips) to finally feel the difference. Maybe your post helps me seal the deal with myself.

Cheers,

Guido

Reactions: Kix
Top Bottom