What's new

Trying to pick a pipe

That Rossi is a good looking pipe! When I got back into pipe smoking nearly 4 years ago, after a 30+ year hiatus, I only had smooth pipes. I had never considered a rusticated or blasted pipe, for some unknown reason. After purchasing a few rusticated estate pipes, I came to really like the feel of those pipes. Now, that is pretty much all I buy. Give that Rossi a good chance, it will grow on you. Good luck! And you might want to build another rack...

That Rossi is a good looking pipe! When I got back into pipe smoking nearly 4 years ago, after a 30+ year hiatus, I only had smooth pipes. I had never considered a rusticated or blasted pipe, for some unknown reason. After purchasing a few rusticated estate pipes, I came to really like the feel of those pipes. Now, that is pretty much all I buy. Give that Rossi a good chance, it will grow on you. Good luck! And you might want to build another rack...
Thanks!

I’m not sure how well a new rack would go over with wifey 🤔

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Thanks!

I’m not sure how well a new rack would go over with wifey 🤔
Today
"Oh, the extra pipe rack? That's just so I don't have to walk all the way to the other room to safely put down the beautiful pipe you gave me as a gift and risk breaking it."

Next week
"You know, I've got these extra spaces in the pipe rack, it would be convenient to not have to walk all the way to the other room to grab a pipe."

I have had very good experience with the Estate Pipes sold by Smoking Pipes. They have some very good offers from time to time. If a vulcanite stem is your preference this is your most likely avenue towards success.
My suggestion is to consider the three you have already, and think about which of the three you reach for most often. Is there a natural preference you have? If so, then you may want to consider a similar pipe, as picking purely on esthetics can be a mistake for some.
I initially believed that I preferred a bent shape, but if I don't think about it and just reach for a pipe, I find myself reaching most for the Canadian/Liverpool/Lumberman/Lovat style.
You may have a natural preference as well based on how the pipe packs, smokes and feels.
Just my 2 cents.
I had a BBB Canadian Long Shank years ago that “disappeared” overnight from my desk at work. I replaced 10 years ago with a Lumberman, since I couldn’t find a BBB. I am very satisfied with the Lumberman.

BTW, does anyone have a Hilson Fantasia? I always found them the most beautiful of pipes.

I've got some tabs open to Blue Room Briars and SmokingPipes right now. A Rattray's Prince, a Jeantet apple, a Brigham Tundra apple, and a beautiful straight bulldog (I don't have a single bulldog) . . .

Top Bottom