What's new

I'm ready to order my first expensive razor, help me make a decision!!

Thanks @LRod for discussing your thought process. I completely understand you not wanting to take a chance on the Blackland Blackbird razor, I don't think I would have taken the chance either to be honest with you. I really hope you own a Timeless razor at some point, I hope and pray that you do lol.

Your right, it does get confusing! With so many premium brands that there are now, its no simple task of choosing your razor, cause your also choosing the brand as well. Then you really feel like your getting deep into the weeds, when you start looking at the reviews, and they only are 50/50!
I'll own a timeless at some point (The Bronze)!!

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
I'll own a timeless at some point (The Bronze)!!

I had to look it up so I could post a picture. Behold! The Timeless Bronze with spiral handle, and stand!

1653365244370.png

Found on the net, for those who need something to googly eye over. 😍

@LRod I think you made a great choice.
I would've probably chosen the polished version due to a previous life as a crow (shiny!) but I wager that brushed will have slighter better glide than the satin.
I also prefer the traditional look.

Myself, it took quite a while to learn what characteristics I enjoy in a razor. For me that's a thin head with flatter clamping blade, steeper shaving angle, a bit of blade feel, efficient but still smooth. Not all my razors meet those criteria but my favorites do.

It's all boils down to what works for you. Some love the Ti Blackbird, I prefer the polished SS version. Others love the Timeless, I never felt the love for that bulky head and sold my .68 even though it was a great shave. Some dislike the RR SS Lupo and one called it ugly (oh the pain) but I find my .95 one of the best razors in my stable and it sits in my rack between a Wolfman and CG.

Anyway, I'm really getting a kick out of watching you newer guys evolve on your journey and hope you enjoy that gorgeous new razor. 👍

@LRod I think you made a great choice.
I would've probably chosen the polished version due to a previous life as a crow (shiny!) but I wager that brushed will have slighter better glide than the satin.
I also prefer the traditional look.

Myself, it took quite a while to learn what characteristics I enjoy in a razor. For me that's a thin head with flatter clamping blade, steeper shaving angle, a bit of blade feel, efficient but still smooth. Not all my razors meet those criteria but my favorites do.

It's all boils down to what works for you. Some love the Ti Blackbird, I prefer the polished SS version. Others love the Timeless, I never felt the love for that bulky head and sold my .68 even though it was a great shave. Some dislike the RR SS Lupo and one called it ugly (oh the pain) but I find my .95 one of the best razors in my stable and it sits in my rack between a Wolfman and CG.

Anyway, I'm really getting a kick out of watching you newer guys evolve on your journey and hope you enjoy that gorgeous new razor. 👍
Thanks!
I actually liked the brushed matte vs. polished. I saw tons of pictures and for daily use, I believe I'll have less maintenance to keep it pretty. The satin one for me was out of the question. It has no shimmer and it looks gray.
It seems like I have discovered the same likes as you for razors. Flatter & slimmer head & blade clamping, steep angle, blade feel and efficient! That's why I bought both Lupo's, the .72 & aluminum. Fantastic razors! Up to this point, the Lupo .72 SS has been my daily driver and the aluminum has been my travel razor. The ATT seemed like a "premium" close match! We'll see!!

Thanks!
I actually liked the brushed matte vs. polished. I saw tons of pictures and for daily use, I believe I'll have less maintenance to keep it pretty. The satin one for me was out of the question. It has no shimmer and it looks gray.
It seems like I have discovered the same likes as you for razors. Flatter & slimmer head & blade clamping, steep angle, blade feel and efficient! That's why I bought both Lupo's, the .72 & aluminum. Fantastic razors! Up to this point, the Lupo .72 SS has been my daily driver and the aluminum has been my travel razor. The ATT seemed like a "premium" close match! We'll see!!

Premium indeed! I'm looking forward to shave reports from you on the Windsor and @Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker on his Timeless Ti.

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
I haven't even received this one and your telling me to get on a Wolfman waitlist!
That's brotherhood support right there, hahaha!!
I'll tell you what, I'll definitely consider it, soon after this one arrives.
Congrats on the ATT Windsor, I have their SE1 in stainless and aluminum, great quality.

By the time you get the email from Tara, you will be glad you got on the Wolfman waiting list. I was fortunate to be able to try one out first before getting my WR2 0.95 and I'm very happy with it. And no, it hasn't ended my RAD.

~doug~

Congrats on the ATT Windsor, I have their SE1 in stainless and aluminum, great quality.

By the time you get the email from Tara, you will be glad you got on the Wolfman waiting list. I was fortunate to be able to try one out first before getting my WR2 0.95 and I'm very happy with it. And no, it hasn't ended my RAD.

~doug~
Thanks man!
By the time I get the email from Wolfman?
I haven't even remotely considered a Wolfman, Lol!!
I've been mixed into this Wolfman thing here unwillingly.
B&B is the epitome of enabling, hahahaha!!
When all is said and done, I probably will be on the waitlist, Lol!🤣

Lets hear about it's performance?
I've heard that the .38 blade gap means nothing on this razor and that it's actually more efficient/agressive than how it's perceived. That's why it made it on my list even though I favor presumably higher blade gaps that would produce higher efficiency (plus it's pretty in that bronze finish), LOL!!
What do you think?
I tried the Timeless Bronze .38. It’s gorgeous! But I couldn’t get a close enough shave with it. But I love the Timeless.95! Of course YMMV. That’s why the return policies from Timeless and Blackland might also be a consideration. Good luck! (Wish I was buying a new razor)!

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
Going to make a prediction...whatever you end up getting will have a hard time giving as good a shave as your RazoRock Lupo .72.

That's true. Both the Timeless barberpole handle and the Blackbird handle measure 85mm (there are longer versions of these two handles available, too) the Timeless Crown handle is in fact 90mm. My bad.
I prefer 85 mm handles. Yet the Crown handle is by far my favorite to shave with! It’s so well made, the length doesn’t seem to matter.

I hope you like the ATT. I've only used the Windsor Pro SB 90 in stainless steel and while it was a decent shaver, it has a noticable blade chatter and the blade didn't feel absolutely aligned, which might not be a major issue for most, but for me at least no modern stainless steel razor should have such issues. I've used it a couple of times and I wasn't impressed by it and decided to sell it. ATT has been on the market for quite a while now and I expected them to know what they are doing more than a lot of other razor companies and manufacturers, but I guess my hopes were just too high. The good thing is that I haven't paid much and pretty much got my money back, so it's not that bad.

I tried the Timeless Bronze .38. It’s gorgeous! But I couldn’t get a close enough shave with it. But I love the Timeless.95! Of course YMMV. That’s why the return policies from Timeless and Blackland might also be a consideration. Good luck! (Wish I was buying a new razor)!
Good morning HabanaRon….Hope all is well. Which one of the base plates are you using with that .95? Or have you tried all three? I have the Open and scalloped, and just ordered the closed to add a little variety for everyday shaves.
Have even considered their Slim version, but still studying that one.

The Blackbird has the most blade feel of any of my razors, but it still shaves nice and smooth. The SSRH will be next, then the Yates, then Nodachi. At least that's how I perceive them when shaving.
Thanks for this comparison. I am looking at the Yates vs. Nodachi. So you are comparing the Yates with the H plate to the full Nodachi (top and base plate) and say the Yates 921-H has more blade feel than the full Nodachi? Does the 921-M have the same blade feel to the full Nodachi or does it have less blade feel than the Nodachi? I am leaning towards less blade feel but more efficient at the moment but efficient is more important of the two. I like my Feather AS-D2 for efficient with not a lot of blade feel (for a reference). I don't mind getting both M and H plates. I also have been reading about the Musamune top cap and the Nodachi base plate. Thanks!

I hope you like the ATT. I've only used the Windsor Pro SB 90 in stainless steel and while it was a decent shaver, it has a noticable blade chatter and the blade didn't feel absolutely aligned, which might not be a major issue for most, but for me at least no modern stainless steel razor should have such issues. I've used it a couple of times and I wasn't impressed by it and decided to sell it. ATT has been on the market for quite a while now and I expected them to know what they are doing more than a lot of other razor companies and manufacturers, but I guess my hopes were just too high. The good thing is that I haven't paid much and pretty much got my money back, so it's not that bad.
The Windsor pro is made in China and it's a $90 razor.
The standard Windsor (the one I bought) is made in the USA!
I don't think it will have those issues as it sits on another level in terms of quality and design.
All I've read is good things about it and have read zero complaints from anyone.
Matter of fact, ATT has none on the scratch and dent section so that's a good indicator that they are rarely returned. Regardless, they've got a 90 day return policy and I'll be giving an honest assessment when I get it. I'm not the guy that gets something and just writes "It's the best razor I've ever bought" out of excitement.
No matter the cost, if it's great that's wonderful but if it stinks, it stinks!

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
The Windsor pro is made in China and it's a $90 razor.
The standard Windsor (the one I bought) is made in the USA!
I don't think it will have those issues as it sits on another level in terms of quality and design.
All I've read is good things about it and have read zero complaints from anyone.
Matter of fact, ATT has none on the scratch and dent section so that's a good indicator that they are rarely returned. Regardless, they've got a 90 day return policy and I'll be giving an honest assessment when I get it. I'm not the guy that gets something and just writes "It's the best razor I've ever bought" out of excitement.
No matter the cost, if it's great that's wonderful but if it stinks, it stinks!
As I've said, I'm looking forward to a comprehensive review. I know you'll put it through its paces and will be thorough. I'm not in the market for a new razor but I still enjoy reading about them.

So you'll get it Thursday or Friday?

Top Bottom