What's new

My first modern razor purchase in 8 years

I love my vintage Gillette razors and have always enjoyed using them. I've owned several modern razors in the past. The R41, R89, a few from ATT, Ikon, Merkur, Parker, Feather, and I'm sure the there are a few that I can't recall at the moment.

The only razors that I have kept and continue to use are the vintage Gillettes, Merkur Progress, R89 (my first DE razor purchase), and the Parker 68S (probably parting ways with this one soon). Until now.

I've been seeing these absolutely gorgeous modern razors that everyone has been using and it really piqued my curiosity. Do they perform as great as they look? Will I enjoy them as much as my vintage Gillettes? Can I break old habits and put my other razors away for awhile? I guess there was only one way to find out.

After 8 long years of restraint from modern manufactured razors, I finally gave in and ordered one. A Timeless Stainless Steel closed bar .95. I chose this razor for a few reasons. The reviews were pretty good and I definitely understand that not everyone will love every razor. I especially liked the way the razor looked. I had ordered the handle first about a month ago to see if it looked as nice in person as it did in the pictures. So today the razor head arrived and completed everything. Looking forward to the first shave and have a feeling that more future purchases are coming!

20220519_130950.jpg
20220519_130900.jpg

I love my vintage Gillette razors and have always enjoyed using them. I've owned several modern razors in the past. The R41, R89, a few from ATT, Ikon, Merkur, Parker, Feather, and I'm sure the there are a few that I can't recall at the moment.

The only razors that I have kept and continue to use are the vintage Gillettes, Merkur Progress, R89 (my first DE razor purchase), and the Parker 68S (probably parting ways with this one soon). Until now.

I've been seeing these absolutely gorgeous modern razors that everyone has been using and it really piqued my curiosity. Do they perform as great as they look? Will I enjoy them as much as my vintage Gillettes? Can I break old habits and put my other razors away for awhile? I guess there was only one way to find out.

After 8 long years of restraint from modern manufactured razors, I finally gave in and ordered one. A Timeless Stainless Steel closed bar .95. I chose this razor for a few reasons. The reviews were pretty good and I definitely understand that not everyone will love every razor. I especially liked the way the razor looked. I had ordered the handle first about a month ago to see if it looked as nice in person as it did in the pictures. So today the razor head arrived and completed everything. Looking forward to the first shave and have a feeling that more future purchases are coming!

View attachment 1458553View attachment 1458554
You made an incredibly correct decision I know you will love this razor.

This is an amazing piece of equipment @cantujm. And a very nice handle too. Personally I find this one more appealing than the Crown, but that is obviously in the eye of the beholder.

Looks aggressive though. So I think I can understand @SgtCrppls advice on angle and no pressure (which is always a good thing as we all know!)

Happy shaves and interested to hear about your findings and experiences.

Cheers,

Guido

This is an amazing piece of equipment @cantujm. And a very nice handle too. Personally I find this one more appealing than the Crown, but that is obviously in the eye of the beholder.

Looks aggressive though. So I think I can understand @SgtCrppls advice on angle and no pressure (which is always a good thing as we all know!)

Happy shaves and interested to hear about your findings and experiences.

Cheers,

Guido
Thank you very much. I definitely find it visually appealing and I'll post an update tomorrow after the shave.

Congratulations! If it shaves anything the the Titanium .95 that I recently acquired you are in for a real treat!!
Keep us updated!
Thanks, I was considering the Titanium and will probably eventually end up getting it if I really enjoy this razor.

Thanks, I was considering the Titanium and will probably eventually end up getting it if I really enjoy this razor.
I’m new to titanium and a heavy stainless fan as well. So I’m also curious about the stainless version. Excited to hear about your experience.

First shave with the Timeless this morning. I used a solid performing soap and blade to eliminate any variants incase the shave wasn't very good. Loaded up with a fresh Gillette Silver Blue and lathered up with Electric Sheep.

Honestly, I really didn't have to put any effort into the shave. With two days of hair growth, the razor just glided right through my beard. I used a very light touch, the weight and the design of the razor just did it's thing. Two passes and I was done. No need for a touch up at all.

I'm going to continue to use the razor a few more days and see if I continue with the great results. So far, one shave in, and I'm pretty impressed.

20220520_062330.jpg

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
Congrats! I really hope you like your Timeless! Truth is, I am interested in the Timeless Titanium just as many other's are on B&B, I just can't stomach the price for a non adjustable razor. You'd have to buy multiple plates, and interchange them, in order to make it more adjustable, and that still would be less convenient then a standard adjustable.

I will await you to dispatch your review with great dispatch. 😁

Congrats! I really hope you like your Timeless! Truth is, I am interested in the Timeless Titanium just as many other's are on B&B, I just can't stomach the price for a non adjustable razor. You'd have to buy multiple plates, and interchange them, in order to make it more adjustable, and that still would be less convenient then a standard adjustable.

I will await you to dispatch your review with great dispatch. 😁
This morning's first shave was great with only two passes. I have a few adjustable razors, but I only shave with them on the highest setting so the ability to adjust them isn't needed. I wouldn't need (but still might) to purchase another base plate for this razor if it continues to perform the same as it did today.

Adjustable razors are great, I just like them on the most aggressive setting so many of them just aren't for me.

Great looking razor, I have the Ti95OC and Ti95SB with the stainless serrated cap. Perfect balance.

~doug~
I was considering the Titanium razor but I've never used anything titanium and wasn't sure if it would feel too light. I guess it is just fear of the unknown, but I'm still pretty curious about them. I might pick up the bronze next and the Titanium a little further down the road.

Top Bottom