What's new

I'm ready to order my first expensive razor, help me make a decision!!

Ok all,
Definitely between the ATT Windsor and the Blackbird.
Everyone's input got me to this point!
So from here forward, I guess I will be reading whatever has to do with those two, Lol!!
I'll be thinking long and hard tonight and will place my order tomorrow.
I'll be posting tomorrow why I chose the one that I end up choosing!

0c4.gif

Well I just used the PAA Ascension Select razor tonight for the first time tonight and though it is not considered a high end razor as far as $ goes, it felt like it gave me a high end shave without the high end price tag.

Attachments

• IMG_20220521_194216__01.jpg
    IMG_20220521_194216__01.jpg
    768.7 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_20220521_194247__01.jpg
    IMG_20220521_194247__01.jpg
    854.4 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_20220521_193959__01.jpg
    IMG_20220521_193959__01.jpg
    810.1 KB · Views: 8

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
Ok all,
Definitely between the ATT Windsor and the Blackbird.
Everyone's input got me to this point!
So from here forward, I guess I will be reading whatever has to do with those two, Lol!!
I'll be thinking long and hard tonight and will place my order tomorrow (most likely).
I'll be posting tomorrow why I chose the one that I end up choosing!
OK, after reading all these posts and noticing you did show pics of Timeless OC razors....
Have you thought of a Titanium .95 OC with the Stainless Scalloped cap? Balance is great, nice blade feel, efficient.

I sure love mine.

~doug~

OK, after reading all these posts and noticing you did show pics of Timeless OC razors....
Have you thought of a Titanium .95 OC with the Stainless Scalloped cap? Balance is great, nice blade feel, efficient.

I sure love mine.

~doug~
My bad!
I put the wrong picture, LOL!!
Should have been a closed comb since I'm not interested in OC.
I did consider a Timeless Titanium closed comb .95
I think I'll be good with Stainless. But I do like Above the tie better.

Some (important to me) last comparison specifics to ask from those that have tried these please:

Tatara Nodachi:
Head size?
Blade feel?
Agressiveness?
Finish?

Yates 921 with H plate:
Head size?
Blade feel?
Agressiveness?
Finish?

ATT Windsor H plate:
Head size?
Blade feel?
Agressiveness?
Finish?

Blackbird:
Head size?
Blade feel?
Agressiveness?
Finish?

How's the blade clamping on the ATT?
Looking at the base plate it's hard to figure out how it achieves it with that square shape.

The one thing that my current favorite razors have in common is very good/exceptional blade control, I've noticed it makes a huge difference in shave quality. It's a quality any razor I buy going forward must have for me to consider it.

Last edited:
Lets hear about it's performance?
I've heard that the .38 blade gap means nothing on this razor and that it's actually more efficient/agressive than how it's perceived. That's why it made it on my list even though I favor presumably higher blade gaps that would produce higher efficiency (plus it's pretty in that bronze finish), LOL!!
What do you think?
@LRod you are correct that the .38 blade gap means nothing on this razor. I believe the comfort/efficiency is comparable to other razors in my rotation so RR GC .68, RR SLOC, Wolfman SR2 .95, Karve Overlander. I won't compare it to my adjustables (Sailor & Muramasa) except to say that so far I have only used those on the mildest settings. I always get single pass wtg with clean-up xtg/atg shaves with any of these and no cuts, nicks, or irritation. If you like a warm razor the bronze really holds the heat and it is tied with the gold plated Overlander for the most beautiful razor in my den. Happy shaves!
:thumbup:

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
My bad!
I put the wrong picture, LOL!!
Should have been a closed comb since I'm not interested in OC.
I did consider a Timeless Titanium closed comb .95
I think I'll be good with Stainless. But I do like Above the tie better.
@LRod that is easy to do when you are comparing razors!
I actually have both the Timeless .95SB and .95OC baseplates in titanium, I prefer the OC but they are both very smooth and efficient.
My only ATT is an SE1 but I don't think you were considering an AC style razor, I do know the Blackbird Vector gets very high ratings.

If you really want to go with a high end razor, have you considered a Wolfman WR2? Yes, I know the waiting list is ridiculously long, but it does give you plenty of time to review your options and save up $$$$$$.

~doug~

I'm down to the Blackbird or the ATT!
Now it's time to break the tie.
Last thing I'll put out there is that the Blackbird carries a 30day money back guarantee.. If you don't like the razor Shane will refund it no problems!! That being said I believe Above The Tie has a guarantee also though...

Concerning Timeless S&D section, there are guys that have bought razors in the past and still can't find any imperfections in them!!

@LRod that is easy to do when you are comparing razors!
I actually have both the Timeless .95SB and .95OC baseplates in titanium, I prefer the OC but they are both very smooth and efficient.
My only ATT is an SE1 but I don't think you were considering an AC style razor, I do know the Blackbird Vector gets very high ratings.

If you really want to go with a high end razor, have you considered a Wolfman WR2? Yes, I know the waiting list is ridiculously long, but it does give you plenty of time to review your options and save up $$$$$$.

~doug~
Yep, not It interested in SE's.
As for the Wolfman, maybe some day.
I don't have the patience for waitlists unfortunately. As good as they might be, I'd much rather get something I can use now.

Last thing I'll put out there is that the Blackbird carries a 30day money back guarantee.. If you don't like the razor Shane will refund it no problems!! That being said I believe Above The Tie has a guarantee also though...

Concerning Timeless S&D section, there are guys that have bought razors in the past and still can't find any imperfections in them!!
From what I've read, Blackland, Timeless & ATT all have the return policy. ATT is 90 days and Timeless charges a $10 fee.
I still like that S&D timeless option!

I'm confused about something:
Does anyone know if Against the Tie makes the "whole" Windsor in house?
I know the Windsor Pro uses Chinese parts but the regular Windsor is fully made in the USA.
I'd just like to know if it's parts are made there or elsewhere in the USA?
I believe that BlackLand, Timeless and Yates are fully made in house and of course Tatara is Portuguese.

Hmm, and now for a different spin that I noticed in my research that can affect my decision:

Yates, 316 stainless, $135
Carbon, 316 stainless, $280
Karve stainless, 303 stainless, $160
Timeless, 304 stainless, $195
ATT, 303 stainless, $195
Tatara, 303 stainless, $157
Blackbird, 303 stainless, $200

Out of that list Yates is the cheapest but it's made with the higher grade of stainless steel? (doesn't make sense)
And Carbon is the most expensive and it's also made with the highest grade of stainless? (makes sense)

So can someone tell me why I would pay a premium for an inferior razor material (in terms of rust resistance)?

Should this be a factor in a decision or am I overthinking this?

My guess is labor costs. Higher polish/finish takes time. Jake and Ashley Yates provide all labor for YPM, so that likely affects their labor costs.

My guess is labor costs. Higher polish/finish takes time. Jake and Ashley Yates provide all labor for YPM, so that likely affects their labor costs.
I get that but you look at a company like Razorock and it makes you question. I'm sure they have a bigger staff considering the high demand and they too are using 316 stainless on razors that cost less than $80.
I think if you're paying $200+ on a razor, it should be made of the highest grade.
Wolfman uses 316 and their a small operation!
Sounds to me like a way to make more money by cutting corners by these high end brands!

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: GNR
Top Bottom