What's new

PIF: 3rd quarter 1966 Gillette Slim Adjustable

It's like the title says: Gillette Slim Adjustable, date-stamped L3, hence dating from July to September 1966. I have two Slim Adjustables, and this one isn't as pretty as my other, so a PIF it will be. It looks to be in fairly meh shape, but it gives a very nice shave. And, well, the price is right, yes?

BUT... to get it, you need to be the first to send me a private message with correct answers to the following questions.

1. What did King C. Gillette do for a living before he invented the safety razor

2. What was the title of a book that King C. Gillette wrote in 1894?

3. How many razor sets and blades did Gillette supply to the U.S. Army in World War I?

Adjustable_5.jpgAdjustable_4.jpgAdjustable_6.jpgAdjustable_7.jpgAdjustable_1.jpgAdjustable_3.jpgAdjustable_2.jpg

-Z

Great PIF, though not in. I have purchased slims for two of my three boys and will probably pick another up in the future in case the third changes his mind about safety razors. He currently likes his electric.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Great PIF, though not in. I have purchased slims for two of my three boys and will probably pick another up in the future in case the third changes his mind about safety razors. He currently likes his electric.
My son uses an electric now. I broke him in on DE shaving, but he likes the electric best. What can I say? He was homeskooled, lol!

My son uses an electric now. I broke him in on DE shaving, but he likes the electric best. What can I say? He was homeskooled, lol!
We homeschooled the oldest at first, but it didn't take well to it. However, I am still a fan of homeschooling. I have the utmost respect for most teachers, but I also realize much of their work is about managing the classroom. Many friends homeschool and have very successful kids. I give you and your wife a lot of credit.

FarmerTan

We homeschooled the oldest at first, but it didn't take well to it. However, I am still a fan of homeschooling. I have the utmost respect for most teachers, but I also realize much of their work is about managing the classroom. Many friends homeschool and have very successful kids. I give you and your wife a lot of credit.
Lol, I just went to werk everyday. Tried to stay out of my wife and God's way mostly. We did lots of stuff wrong, but God was able to fix our screw ups, lol. Went to Kommunity Kollege at 15 and got an Associate Degree in Business. Keeps climbing the ladder at werk. Everytime he gets a promotion they tell him he's 10 years younger than the youngest one to ever have his job. So, yes, I am proud of the man he's becoming and already is.

He got a LOT of his mother's genes, lol.

FarmerTan

The king of Arkoland needs at least one vintage adjustable. To use with Arko, of course :)
I feel greedy for taking it. I had a Fatboy *giggle* that I basically stole for the price I paid about 4? years ago at an antique store. Just was never impressed by it, so I sold it off in last Fall's St.Sue auction.

But so many people love the Slim that I've always wanted to try one. If I am not impressed, I will PIF it, if I am I'll PIF it and by my berth Quarter Slim.

But as always, the devil is in the details.... Ms FarmerTan is a stealthy opponent, and all expenditures go through her sub-commitee, the War Department.....we must ALWAYS provide for the common good around Arkoland, and whatever she sez that is is what it is.

I will report back in this thread my measures and her counter-measures in our opinion of this razor.

I will need help in finding out the best blade for it though folks.

I feel greedy for taking it. I had a Fatboy *giggle* that I basically stole for the price I paid about 4? years ago at an antique store. Just was never impressed by it, so I sold it off in last Fall's St.Sue auction.

But so many people love the Slim that I've always wanted to try one. If I am not impressed, I will PIF it, if I am I'll PIF it and by my berth Quarter Slim.

But as always, the devil is in the details.... Ms FarmerTan is a stealthy opponent, and all expenditures go through her sub-commitee, the War Department.....we must ALWAYS provide for the common good around Arkoland, and whatever she sez that is is what it is.

I will report back in this thread my measures and her counter-measures in our opinion of this razor.

I like the Gillette Silver Blue or a Voskhod blade in the Slim when it's cranked up on number 9 setting.

Oh, and congratulations on the new Slim!

FarmerTan

I like the Gillette Silver Blue or a Voskhod blade in the Slim when it's cranked up on number 9 setting.
I must admit, I was shocked at how well the Fatboy *giggle* werked the one time I tried it on 9. Not nearly as aggressive as I expected it to be. AND I have more than a few GSBs around here, and a few Voskhods too. They actually surprised me. Nice smooth blade.

Yes sir, I don't think the 9 setting is very aggressive really. It is in my opinion very effective at removing the beard. I have thick facial hair and the lower settings mean that I have to do more passes compared to the max setting.

Top Bottom