What's new

Captains Choice Seaworthy - Starry Night Lather Bowl & Mariners Coffee Mug!

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
As many of you know, I already own an older design Captains Choice Cobalt lather bowl, which is no longer sold on their site. Its nice a nice one, because its larger in size, which is good for accommodating big boy 30 knot brushes! I then later bought their Starry Night scuttle from their current production. And now, I have their Seaworthy - Starry Night lather bowl, from the same current production. I notice that its indeed smaller then the Cobalt lather bowls, so most certainly designed for smaller brushes. Good thing I got a 24 knot brush now! lol Its in my opinion, that these bowls are absolutely gorgeous! 😍

proxy.php
proxy.php

proxy.php
proxy.php

proxy.php

The coffee mug I got is awesome too. Its nice and huge, easily a 17OZ coffee mug, captains size! These are made really well, nice strong handles, provides an excellent grip. If you look closely, you can see that there are ridges in the bottom of the mug, for those who like to mug lather. I personally, bought this to be a coffee mug, so I won't be doing lathers in it lol.

proxy.php
proxy.php

proxy.php
proxy.php

And no coffee mug can be complete, without a coaster carved out of earths rock, to go under it. I can't think of no finer choice, for a sea Captain's coffee mug. SWCT approved! 😁

proxy.php
proxy.php

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Starry Night is a great color.
I received mine today, and my wife immediately stole it from me.
Just got one of those mugs too!

WOW, small world, you got one too! See, even our amazing ladies in the community have got to admit, fine looking pottery, is fine looking pottery, it is gender neutral. If its hand made with love, and colorful, people are gonna want it. You better order another one Captain! LOL!

And I couldn't agree more, their Starry Night lineup got me instantly hooked, best colors in their lineup IMO! How are you liking the Starry Night lather bowl, and your Mariners coffee mug?

Great stuff enjoy using these. Thanks for the pics of the mug I’ve been eying that myself.

Thanks Rhody! See, thats why I take high resolution photographs, and really do my best to capture the subject, because there are always going to be somebody who is on the fence about said item, and I want to make sure to provide all the details needed. You are very welcome Rhody! Just make sure, if you buy a coffee mug, make sure to to PM @Captain Pre-Capsize, to ask him to include a coaster, just provide him your order number after you make it.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Starry Night is a great color.
I received mine today, and my wife immediately stole it from me.
Just got one of those mugs too!
Phil,

Based on our conversation the other night, I just ordered the Aquamarine copper bowl. I'll be keeping my keys in it... It's too nice to pass up. I've been looking at it for months.

I have the felt on order too..so no clunking noise when dropping them in. Now... can I resist using it for a shaving bowl? Time will tell. <eg>

I used the leather shaving brush roll I got from CC on our trip to PA.... brilliant.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
As many of you know, I already own an older design Captains Choice Cobalt lather bowl, which is no longer sold on their site. Its nice a nice one, because its larger in size, which is good for accommodating big boy 30 knot brushes! I then later bought their Starry Night scuttle from their current production. And now, I have their Seaworthy - Starry Night lather bowl, from the same current production. I notice that its indeed smaller then the Cobalt lather bowls, so most certainly designed for smaller brushes. Good thing I got a 24 knot brush now! lol Its in my opinion, that these bowls are absolutely gorgeous! 😍

proxy.php
proxy.php

proxy.php
proxy.php

proxy.php

The coffee mug I got is awesome too. Its nice and huge, easily a 17OZ coffee mug, captains size! These are made really well, nice strong handles, provides an excellent grip. If you look closely, you can see that there are ridges in the bottom of the mug, for those who like to mug lather. I personally, bought this to be a coffee mug, so I won't be doing lathers in it lol.

proxy.php
proxy.php

proxy.php
proxy.php

And no coffee mug can be complete, without a coaster carved out of earths rock, to go under it. I can't think of no finer choice, for a sea Captain's coffee mug. SWCT approved! 😁

proxy.php
proxy.php
Chris,

Nice selection.... and like you, I'm slowing my purchases down to a crawl... or complete stop. I have enough stuff for a long time. I'm already bracing myself for the withdrawal symptoms. <eg>

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Chris,

Nice selection.... and like you, I'm slowing my purchases down to a crawl... or complete stop. I have enough stuff for a long time. I'm already bracing myself for the withdrawal symptoms. <eg>

How's it going Kim? I see you bought a aquamarine bowl, gonna use that felt I see. You resist using for a lather bowl, I never heard of such a thing, resistance is futile. I do think its possible to slow your role on spending, as that is what I am going to do. But completely stop spending all together for a year or more, nope, I don't see that happening. 🤣

When I first started this hobby, I had the same mindset. I was like, I got plenty for the year, I don't need anything more, I am not going to buy anything more. Then what happened? The rabbit hole said, "look at this guy, he think he's smart then me, well watch this!" The rabbit hole enlarged in size, and I fell into it. 🤣So ya, slowing down spending, yes, that is indeed possible. But stopping alltogether, yeah, psssst, not gonna happen. 😝

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

I’ve just order the exactly same items :thumbup:

Ohhh...Myyy....Goshhh! 😍

That is just too cool for school man! 😎 Dude, I am so happy for you!!!

You have got to share pictures when they arrive. Don't you love this small world were in, when we all buy the same things? I wish I had this shave club when I was in high school, we'd be known as the wet shavers. HEHE

:shaving:

For the past few months I've been enjoying my morning coffee in my CC mug. I throw one spoonful of sugar into the mug, two spoons of coffee into the basket, hit the 12 ounce button and go away. There's just enough space left for my milk. The mug is the absolute perfect size for me. I often have two mugs a day.

You're not going to be lathering in that mug. My hand won't even fit inside it. Those ridges do an excellent job of capturing any loose coffee grounds. It's a quick and easy wash with a dish brush.

I've got the standard copper bowl and a seaworthy style bowl. I don't know what color it is as it's not currently available.

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

For the past few months I've been enjoying my morning coffee in my CC mug. I throw one spoonful of sugar into the mug, two spoons of coffee into the basket, hit the 12 ounce button and go away. There's just enough space left for my milk. The mug is the absolute perfect size for me. I often have two mugs a day.

You're not going to be lathering in that mug. My hand won't even fit inside it. Those ridges do an excellent job of capturing any loose coffee grounds. It's a quick and easy wash with a dish brush.

I've got the standard copper bowl and a seaworthy style bowl. I don't know what color it is as it's not currently available.

One of the things I've always liked about you borwish, is that you are a lover of Captains Choice products, just as I am. A spoon full of sugar helps everything go down doesn't it? 😝 Thats so cool that you have a coffee maker that you can set how many ounces to make coffee. I have one of those Presto 12-cup electric coffee percolators, which make some really delicious coffee.

I buy my coffee in the beans form, as I find the coffee is fresher and stronger with delicious flavor, if I grind the beans with my own grinder, then toss in the percolator. Sometimes, I will even add a dash of cinnamon to the coffee, to give it that extra seasonal kick. You might have discovered, ya, I am serious about my coffee.

So serious infact, that I spoke with Scott, and I asked him to pick out the tallest coffee mug that they had, which was roughly 17-ounces. I also drink about two cups of coffee per day, if were talking Captains Choice size mugs however. If I had to rely on the those standard size mugs, it would become 4 cups of coffee easily lol!

Ya, I had a feeling those ridges might possibly hold some coffee grounds, although I haven't seen that happen yet, but I did think about that. But, I do have one of those baby bottle scrub brushes, I am sure that would do the job, if the bottom of my mug gets bad. Yep, never had any intention on lathering in the mug, thats what my CC bowls and scuttle are for hehe.

I want the first CC copper bowl that I buy in the future to be an Obsidian. You know, as a matter of fact, I think I am about to make a plan, yes yes. The plan will be, I am going to go on a 2-month hiatus of not buying anything of any kind shaving related. But in two months from now, I am going to buy my first copper lather bowl, the Obsidian, I shall surprise the forum, when I drop the pictures lol.

Great stuff Borwish!

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
One of the things I've always liked about you borwish, is that you are a lover of Captains Choice products, just as I am. A spoon full of sugar helps everything go down doesn't it? 😝 Thats so cool that you have a coffee maker that you can set how many ounces to make coffee. I have one of those Presto 12-cup electric coffee percolators, which make some really delicious coffee.

I buy my coffee in the beans form, as I find the coffee is fresher and stronger with delicious flavor, if I grind the beans with my own grinder, then toss in the percolator. Sometimes, I will even add a dash of cinnamon to the coffee, to give it that extra seasonal kick. You might have discovered, ya, I am serious about my coffee.

So serious infact, that I spoke with Scott, and I asked him to pick out the tallest coffee mug that they had, which was roughly 17-ounces. I also drink about two cups of coffee per day, if were talking Captains Choice size mugs however. If I had to rely on the those standard size mugs, it would become 4 cups of coffee easily lol!

Ya, I had a feeling those ridges might possibly hold some coffee grounds, although I haven't seen that happen yet, but I did think about that. But, I do have one of those baby bottle scrub brushes, I am sure that would do the job, if the bottom of my mug gets bad. Yep, never had any intention on lathering in the mug, thats what my CC bowls and scuttle are for hehe.

I want the first CC copper bowl that I buy in the future to be an Obsidian. You know, as a matter of fact, I think I am about to make a plan, yes yes. The plan will be, I am going to go on a 2-month hiatus of not buying anything of any kind shaving related. But in two months from now, I am going to buy my first copper lather bowl, the Obsidian, I shall surprise the forum, when I drop the pictures lol.

Great stuff Borwish!
It was a tough choice for me.. the Obsidian or the Aquamarine.... I let my wife make the final choice, but I was leaning toward the Aquamarine so I was glad she liked it. It's going to be sitting on a butcher block in the dining room so I figured she should have a voice.

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

I finally got off my lazy behind, and gave myself the best shave of my life. Stay tuned when I post my SOTD post in a bit, where you can read all about it! But this thread is about the lather bowl, so lets talk about that. At first glance, the bowl may feel too small, especially when you compare it to my Cobalt bowl. The good news however, is the bowl was still considerably larger then my 24 knot brush, which allowed me room to whip up a lather.

Today I decided to go back to the Land Ho cream, yes, the one that didn't work out for me the first time I used it. This time however, I am using my synthetic brush, and using it in my lather bowl, not my scuttle. And another thing I did, is I made sure to get enough water in the bowl, so that I could achieve the consistency that everybody loves, the creamy yogurt! Yes, all hail the creamy yogurt shave lather, may it slick your face accordingly!

proxy.php

You know I wonder, has anybody tried to shave their face with actual yogurt? That would be quite the interesting challenge. Anyways, I achieved the proper consistency, I could have maybe thickened it up a tiny bit, so I didn't lose some while applying the lather with the brush, but it went on nice and slick, gave my razor something to glide with. So, the new Starry Night lather bowl achieved its goal!

I used the convenient thumb hold, and rest of fingers holding the razed edge, nice and easy, I was able to whip up a lather, plenty of room to do it with that brush, and just look at that picture, doesn't it make you hungry? I know I am! I need to eat something. I think breakfast burritos are on the menu right now, yes indeed, gonna eat some of those. :tongue_sm

I finally got off my lazy behind, and gave myself the best shave of my life. Stay tuned when I post my SOTD post in a bit, where you can read all about it! But this thread is about the lather bowl, so lets talk about that. At first glance, the bowl may feel too small, especially when you compare it to my Cobalt bowl. The good news however, is the bowl was still considerably larger then my 24 knot brush, which allowed me room to whip up a lather.

Today I decided to go back to the Land Ho cream, yes, the one that didn't work out for me the first time I used it. This time however, I am using my synthetic brush, and using it in my lather bowl, not my scuttle. And another thing I did, is I made sure to get enough water in the bowl, so that I could achieve the consistency that everybody loves, the creamy yogurt! Yes, all hail the creamy yogurt shave lather, may it slick your face accordingly!

proxy.php

You know I wonder, has anybody tried to shave their face with actual yogurt? That would be quite the interesting challenge. Anyways, I achieved the proper consistency, I could have maybe thickened it up a tiny bit, so I didn't lose some while applying the lather with the brush, but it went on nice and slick, gave my razor something to glide with. So, the new Starry Night lather bowl achieved its goal!

I used the convenient thumb hold, and rest of fingers holding the razed edge, nice and easy, I was able to whip up a lather, plenty of room to do it with that brush, and just look at that picture, doesn't it make you hungry? I know I am! I need to eat something. I think breakfast burritos are on the menu right now, yes indeed, gonna eat some of those. :tongue_sm
:thumbup1:

Way to go SWCT, with all this talk about Captain’s Choice, scuttles, lather bowls, and Starry night, You have worked me up into a lather!!!! I will need to stroll over to their website and see if I step into another rabbit hole. I found a YouTube interview with the owner Scott, and I already like the guy…..😊👍💈

Last edited:

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Way to go SWCT, with all this talk about Captain’s Choice, scuttles, lather bowls, and Starry night, You have worked me up into a lather!!!! I will need to stroll over to their website and see if I step into another rabbit hole. I found a YouTube interview with the owner Scott, and I already like the guy…..😊👍💈

WOW, I didn't know I was that talented! The only way to cure that, is to buy Captains Choice products. There is a lot of great pics to choose from, both in the ceramic, and in the copper based bowls. Plus there's shave soaps, shave creams, aftershaves, aftershave balms. He sells the mug that I've shown on the forum, and he even sells protective gear for your brush or razor, for travel.

And I already know the video you are talking about, I've even posted it on the forum myself. Its the interview from Maggard Razors, he interviewed Scott 5-years ago. Scott is a really nice guy, I really like him. Scott even have some awesome video's on his Captains Choice channel. Although its sad he hasn't posted there for years, I really hope he gets back into posting some new content.

What I love is how transparent Scott it, he talks about the business, how things are made, he talks about the trials and tribulations of making said items too. Like in a recent post on the board, he talked about how crazy it is, that depending on the exact location that the scuttles are placed in the kiln, is how well the glaze job comes out on them. I literally had no idea.

At the end of the day, the whole process is fascinating, and I love supporting our favorite Captain!

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Lather bowl updated picture, with a preferred Yogurt like consistency, using Captains Choice Italia Shave Soap! Also pictures, APShaveCO Custom G5C Synthetic 24mm brush knot in Blue Lagoon handle. Who says you need a cream to get yogurt consistency! You can do it with shave soap too, provided you get enough water in there, and you also got this guy!

mel brooks comedy GIF by HULU

And with that keeper of a greater magic, we achieved this!

proxy.php

Top Bottom