What's new

Looking for a larger shaving stick

I really like the size of my Tabac shaving stick and wonder who else makes similar sized shaving sticks? What I like is the bigger diameter of the Tabac stick.

Nivea 'Body Shaving'

20220331_190507.jpg

Edit: When empty, I like to refill the Nivea container with other soaps I've grated.

The only 'problem' are the large holes in the riser (sorry; too lazy to research the proper name).

20220331_191542.jpg

So I used my 3D printer to make a spacer.

20220331_191600.jpg

The same could probably be done using a plastic lid, scissors, and a hole punch.

I haven't started using the Tabac stick yet so I can't speak to that one.

Last edited:
I don't remember what place sells them but you can buy online at a shaving store empty sticks that have a knob on the bottom like deodorant and make your own sticks with any soap. you just have to grate it and smash it in. Look around. I bought some maybe 3 or 4 years ago.

I have had good success using old stick deodorant cases with a twist up dial to make my own shave sticks. I generally don't grate the soap; I just stuff it in the container. That has worked well for me with both MWF and RazoRock What-the-Puck soaps. I suppose grating the soap first would make it a bit easier, but if I can stuff soaps into the container with my arthritic fingers, I suspect most of you can as well. I prefer the oblong shapes like this one:

IMG_20220401_095209.jpg

Biggest sticks out there are indeed Tabac and Nivea. BUT!
Tabac has been reformulated, it has no tallow anymore and reviews here are not that favorable. Nivea is "body shaving" soap, I never tried it on face, it was decent performer for body hair (much lighter than facial hair) and is also prone to failing...it sticks to the container sides and you will not get it out. Trashed half a stick bevause ofthat. I use Tabac stick without the container.

Biggest sticks out there are indeed Tabac and Nivea. BUT!
Tabac has been reformulated, it has no tallow anymore and reviews here are not that favorable. Nivea is "body shaving" soap, I never tried it on face, it was decent performer for body hair (much lighter than facial hair) and is also prone to failing...it sticks to the container sides and you will not get it out. Trashed half a stick bevause ofthat. I use Tabac stick without the container.
The ingredients list for the Tabac stick on Smallflower still shows tallow. Mine is on the way, so it will be interesting to see if what I receive has tallow in it.

Nivea is "body shaving" soap, I never tried it on face, it was decent performer for body hair (much lighter than facial hair) and is also prone to failing.
Nivea works fine for face shaving. One of the slickest soaps I own. I am still on my first one and it hasn't failed yet.

With its ingredients, some have pointed out that Nivea is a detergent, not a soap. Note the dreaded (by some) SLS:

Aqua, Glycerin, Propylene Glycol, Sodium Stearate, Sodium Laureth Sulfate, Sorbitol, Sodium Xylene Sulfonate, Sodium Lauryl Sulfate, Stearic Acid, Panthenol, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice Powder, Tetrasodium EDTA, Tetrasodium Etidronate, Parfum

Reactions: bjm
No direct experience, but aren't DR Harris sticks of this bigger form?
Nope, D.R. Harris is a much smaller diameter stick. I actually prefer D.R. Harris soap so I will grate some and put them in one of the containers mentioned above.

Nope, D.R. Harris is a much smaller diameter stick. I actually prefer D.R. Harris soap so I will grate some and put them in one of the containers mentioned above.
I have the Cyril R Salter Solid shaving soap which is the same formula as DR Harris with a light lavender scent. It works very well as a shaving stick and is less expensive compared to Harris. Cost is about $6/100g, though only a few places stock it (like Connaught in the UK). It's a natural for making your own stick refills.

Reactions: ike

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Nivea 'Body Shaving'

View attachment 1432318

Edit: When empty, I like to refill the Nivea container with other soaps I've grated.

The only 'problem' are the large holes in the riser (sorry; too lazy to research the proper name).

View attachment 1432323

So I used my 3D printer to make a spacer.

View attachment 1432324

The same could probably be done using a plastic lid, scissors, and a hole punch.

I haven't started using the Tabac stick yet so I can't speak to that one.
That is really ingenious my friend!

Reactions: bjm
That is really ingenious my friend!
Dave, thank you but I just had some spare time on my hands. :cool: They say "necessity is the mother of invention" so I just printed a couple of drafts until I got one to fit. Again, I had some spare time and it was a slow day.

I usually face-lather after loading from the puck but I actually prefer using a soap stick for head shaves, travel, or when I'm pressed for time. Being able to repurpose a soap or deodorant tube is a bonus. Be well and stay safe...

Last edited:

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Dave, thank you but I just had some spare time on my hands. :cool: They say "necessity is the mother of invention" so I just printed a couple of drafts until I got one to fit. Again, I had some spare time and it was a slow day.

I usually face-lather after loading from the puck but I actually prefer using a soap stick for head shaves, travel, or when I'm pressed for time. Being able to repurpose a soap or deodorant tube is a bonus. Be well and stay safe...
I'm just impressed by anyone that can get beyond the "power" button!

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
What could my American friends say about the Cremo shaving sticks? They seem quite large, but I have no idea about quality and performance. Also, are they brushless?

Top Bottom