What's new

Cleaning Vintage Razors (rate my plan)

Well folks, I just had 3 vintage razors arrive these are my first vintage razors not my first safety razor though. 2 are steel probably, and one is a gold tech so brass is it (kinda pitted up on top)? The details on the auctions weren't very detailed so I'm going to try and figure out what they are later. (2 Gillette techs, 1 Super Speed)

Maint wiki chemicals Safety razor maintenance - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/wiki/Safety_razor_maintenance
I read the cleaning wiki and I've had some not so great results cleaning other metal items previously so I want to go into this very carefully cause I care about these items a cpl are in very good shape. Also I'd prefer to use stuff I have around the house. I don't have scrubbing bubbles and I don't want to buy it to just sit in a closet for no reason later.

So for sterilizing: Rubbing alcohol (I'm thinking in just the razor blade area alcohol + Qtip)

For cleaning and polishing: I'm thinking warm water + baking soda + electric toothbrush? (or warm water baking soda bath + electric toothbrush)
My gf just upgraded her toothbrush so I figure while there is still a relatively good head on her old one it might be good scrubber. Hopefully gentle enough.

Out of curiosity would this be better or worse than just regular baking soda? I'm reluctant because of the extra crap and gel/ color.
1652720145546.png

Well folks, I just had 3 vintage razors arrive these are my first vintage razors not my first safety razor though. 2 are steel probably, and one is a gold tech so brass is it (kinda pitted up on top)? The details on the auctions weren't very detailed so I'm going to try and figure out what they are later. (2 Gillette techs, 1 Super Speed)

Maint wiki chemicals Safety razor maintenance - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/wiki/Safety_razor_maintenance
I read the cleaning wiki and I've had some not so great results cleaning other metal items previously so I want to go into this very carefully cause I care about these items a cpl are in very good shape. Also I'd prefer to use stuff I have around the house. I don't have scrubbing bubbles and I don't want to buy it to just sit in a closet for no reason later.

So for sterilizing: Rubbing alcohol (I'm thinking in just the razor blade area alcohol + Qtip)

For cleaning and polishing: I'm thinking warm water + baking soda + electric toothbrush? (or warm water baking soda bath + electric toothbrush)
My gf just upgraded her toothbrush so I figure while there is still a relatively good head on her old one it might be good scrubber. Hopefully gentle enough.

Out of curiosity would this be better or worse than just regular baking soda? I'm reluctant because of the extra crap and gel/ color.View attachment 1456737
Congrats on your purchases. Your razors are probably plated brass. You obviously know this, but you can touch a magnet to your razors to confirm that they're not steel. For sterilization, I soak new vintage razors one time in Barbicide. There are many ways to clean razors, but I use the tried and true method of Dawn liquid and an old toothbrush. Good luck.

Congrats on your purchases. Your razors are probably plated brass. You obviously know this, but you can touch a magnet to your razors to confirm that they're not steel. For sterilization, I soak new vintage razors one time in Barbicide. There are many ways to clean razors, but I use the tried and true method of Dawn liquid and an old toothbrush. Good luck.

Thank you, also the magnet trick is actually great idea. Dawn/dish soap I have like 5 dish soaps to choose from so I can do that as well.

It can be really simple. A regular manual toothbrush is fine. Clean with Dawn or similar dish soap in warm water and the toothbrush. Polish with standard Colgate toothpaste and a microfiber cloth. Sanitize with isopropyl alcohol in a spray bottle. You can dip the razor in alcohol if you want. Rinse with plain water and set out to dry.

The germs and cooties are long dead. They starved to death. So forget the sterilization.

Soak the razor in warm soapy water for maybe 6 hours. Scrub with a soft worn-out toothbrush. If a TTO razor, work the mechanism back and forth underwater occasionally during the soak.

Repeat as necessary. BTW you might consider shaving with the razor a time or two first, to insure the razor is a good shaver and a "keeper."

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Skip the baking soda and abrasive toothpaste treatment, especially on any gold plated razors. No vinegar either -- why people use this is beyond me. I guess they just want to, like you say, "I'd prefer to use stuff I have around the house".

Soap and warm water with a soft toothbrush as above (recommendation by @santamariasteve).
Preservation is the name of the game for me.

Skip the baking soda and abrasive toothpaste treatment, especially on any gold plated razors. No vinegar either -- why people use this is beyond me. I guess they just want to, like you say, "I'd prefer to use stuff I have around the house".

Soap and warm water with a soft toothbrush as above (recommendation by @santamariasteve).
I'm good with keeping it simple. Would you use anything to polish them up? The Bronze/Gold tech I have I definitely need to be careful with.

Great advice! I do multiple soaks in warm water & Dawn for several hours at a time. Do not use boiling water!!!!!
The gold tech, soak in several more cycles of warm water & Dawn for multiple hours at a time, lightly scrubbing with a toothbrush between soaks. The gold wash used to plate the old Gillette razors is very thin, so any abrasive to try & polish the gold may scrub the gold wash plate off.

Barbacide can damage plating - don't use it. It's made for plastic combs and brushes. Scrubbing Bubbles will remove soap scum and if it makes you feel better, is a disinfectant. Spray it on, let it soak for about 10 minutes, brush with a soft toothbrush, then rinse in running water. Gold plating on Gillette razors was really thin, so Flitz or any abrasive can polish thru the gold & down to the underlying brass.

Barbacide can damage plating - don't use it. It's made for plastic combs and brushes. Scrubbing Bubbles will remove soap scum and if it makes you feel better, is a disinfectant. Spray it on, let it soak for about 10 minutes, brush with a soft toothbrush, then rinse in running water. Gold plating on Gillette razors was really thin, so Flitz or any abrasive can polish thru the gold & down to the underlying brass.
Good to know. I've used Barbicide in the past, but only on newly acquired vintage razors which already had plating loss and then only once. No reason to use it repeatedly when you are the only user.

So, how can I get rid of accumulated black (oxidation?) on a nickel-plated Tech handle without damaging the finish? Thanks.

Tried and true with 60+ razors. Scrubbing Bubbles (non-bleach) will disinfect just fine. Let soak a few minutes and scrub with soft tooth brush. Then hot water with Dawn soak a few minutes then re-scrub with soft tooth brush. If still not clean soak in Dawn in 30 minute increments. If still not clean after several sessions soak over night in Dawn. Also use soft polishing cloth. Repeat. NOTE: Gold plated razors go easy on the scrubbing. For Silver plated do above then use very hot water w/baking soda and aluminum foil method to remove patina. Razor below before and after using above methods.
IMG_1369.JPG
IMG_1375.JPG

Last edited:
I put my new vintage razors in a Disicide bath, then using an ultra sonic cleaner and dry it with a soft cloth. Whem the plating is damaged it will be replated.

Top Bottom