What's new

The Quest for the Holy Grail of Shaving.

2D9842E0-162E-4F44-8B44-D3BF5E82B376.jpeg

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
The problem with shaving Nirvana: Once you think you've entered it, you think you see another one.

Yep, thats what happened to me several days after this post. I said I wasn't interested in more razors, and what did I go and do? Bought another razor! LOL. And now, I need to get a stand for the Merkur Futur razor. So many razors don't come with stands ugg.

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Drove myself nuts looking for a (no longer produced) stand for The Winning Razor. Found an okay generic stand.

I WILL NOT BUY ANOTHER RAZOR WITHOUT STAND!

I went searching on Amazon, and I found a stand that other's are using for their Merkur Futur's, its cheap too, only like 10-bucks, even has a drain hole in the bottom of it, should work fine, I don't need anything fancy.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
No grail quests here.

I used a Jagger, but got given a Fatip
Gave it away, went back to the Jagger
Found a Tech in an antiques shop
Gave it away, went back to the Jagger
Bought a birth quarter Gillette
Went back to the Jagger
Bought a Razorine
Went back to the Jagger
Bought an IKon SBS
Went back to the Jagger

I'm sick of buying/trying razors that don't give me as nice a shave as what I already have. I now have a spare handle, spare head and extra spare top cap for the Jagger. I do occasionally use a Merkur open comb head for heavier growth (which I keep on the spare handle), and have a spare head for that razor too.

My Holy Grail razor is the Henson AL13 aggressive (+++).
Second would be the Henson Ti22 aggressive.
Before Henson, it was the Razorock Lupo Aluminum and Razorock Lupo Stainless Steel .72 razors.
Before those, it was the Razorock Game Changer .68/.84.
As time goes by, and you try new things, your Holy Grail razor may change!
If I were born in the 1930's and started shaving in the 1940's, the Gillette Tech would be my favorite.
I just got the AL13 Aggressive in aluminum and am extremely impressed. I really wish they'd bring back the Aggressive plate on the Ti22 because the Aluminum is just too light

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
You mean you have a spare Edwin Jagger razor

...ish. Kind of, but not quite.

I had the Jagger, and a Merkur 985 with the mini handle. I then got myself an IKon SBS head and Bulldog II handle, but I'm not a fan of the head. I tend to leave the Merkur open comb head on it now, but it could be switched to the Jagger if needed, and I'd just put the mini handle back on the Merkur.

Being a stainless handle, I would expect that to outlive all the zinc cast parts... though the zinc cast parts might last longer than me anyway, as I have a spare whole head plus a second extra cap for the Jagger, and a spare head for the Merkur too.

As things are at the moment I would say that the Fatip Piccolo is my one razor to rule them all. But I also found that it depends heavily on the blade/razor combination you are using. The same question two months ago would have been my KCG which still provides great shaves.

Cheers,

Guido

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

As things are at the moment I would say that the Fatip Piccolo is my one razor to rule them all. But I also found that it depends heavily on the blade/razor combination you are using. The same question two months ago would have been my KCG which still provides great shaves.

Cheers,

Guido

You are so right Guido! Perfect example, Feather blades work great in Feather razors, so do Bic blades! Bic blades also work out in a Rex Ambassador razor. But when I tried the Bic's in my Merkur Futur, I got 50/50 results, I was not satisfied! So I tried out Nacets, and wow did that make a difference to the shave. Merkur Futur and Nacets for the win!

You are so right Guido! Perfect example, Feather blades work great in Feather razors, so do Bic blades! Bic blades also work out in a Rex Ambassador razor. But when I tried the Bic's in my Merkur Futur, I got 50/50 results, I was not satisfied! So I tried out Nacets, and wow did that make a difference to the shave. Merkur Futur and Nacets for the win!
Exactly! I think Tigers are decent blades overall, but putting them into a KCG/R89 razor is equivalent growing a beard for me.

KCG blades should work nicely with your Futur as well. They are regularly compared to Nacets.

Cheers,

Guido

Top Bottom