What's new

Participation PIF - A Very Mysteree-X Shave

Mysteree-X shave April 13

Razor: Slim (set at 8-8-8 for three passes)
Blade: Sputnik (first use)
Aftershave: Ariana and Evans St. Bart

I was expecting sharp and smooth from this Teflon-coated blade but didn’t really experience it. First pass was tuggy, which I didn’t expect and felt a bit dangerous. The Slim can get wild when it skips, and it also doesn’t clamp the blade, so there can be some play there.

Less good job at beard reduction first two passes, so more stubble present for ATG than I’d like. I did an intermediate pass on upper cheeks and mustache but not on neck, where I like to minimize passes to not set off irritation. Ended up skipping quite a bit and getting a few weepers there.

Mustache I negotiated something less than BBS, as I knew there would be blood otherwise. Chin also slow going, some difficulty with cleanup.

Would have been more irritation but the A&E splash acts more like a balm, and I think it held things together. Oddly, I rinsed my face in the afternoon, many hours later, and opened a weeper on my chin! Actual blood that stayed open even after applying some witch hazel and reapplying the aftershave. Go figure.

Not super irritated today, and reasonably close. I think the blade might be sharpening up a bit, so it’s a hard choice whether to give the Slim another chance with a newly sharp blade or to switch to the NEW SC and give the credit for a great shave to the NEW when it might have happened in the Slim regardless.

Given that I have only one Sputnik, I think I’ll try it in the NEW.

Mysteree-X shave April 13

Razor: Slim (set at 8-8-8 for three passes)
Blade: Sputnik (first use)
Aftershave: Ariana and Evans St. Bart

I was expecting sharp and smooth from this Teflon-coated blade but didn’t really experience it. First pass was tuggy, which I didn’t expect and felt a bit dangerous. The Slim can get wild when it skips, and it also doesn’t clamp the blade, so there can be some play there.

Less good job at beard reduction first two passes, so more stubble present for ATG than I’d like. I did an intermediate pass on upper cheeks and mustache but not on neck, where I like to minimize passes to not set off irritation. Ended up skipping quite a bit and getting a few weepers there.

Mustache I negotiated something less than BBS, as I knew there would be blood otherwise. Chin also slow going, some difficulty with cleanup.

Would have been more irritation but the A&E splash acts more like a balm, and I think it held things together. Oddly, I rinsed my face in the afternoon, many hours later, and opened a weeper on my chin! Actual blood that stayed open even after applying some witch hazel and reapplying the aftershave. Go figure.

Not super irritated today, and reasonably close. I think the blade might be sharpening up a bit, so it’s a hard choice whether to give the Slim another chance with a newly sharp blade or to switch to the NEW SC and give the credit for a great shave to the NEW when it might have happened in the Slim regardless.

Given that I have only one Sputnik, I think I’ll try it in the NEW.
I apparently don’t know what month it is. This was yesterday’s shave.

F30B2030-F765-4A9F-971D-3363F6129D6B.jpeg

Mysteree blade #2, shave #1
2 days growth
Preshave: warm shower
Brush: PAA Starcraft (24mm synthetic)
Soap: Mama Bear dragon's blood stick
Razor: Henson Al-13+++
Aftershave: alum, Blade sensitive balm

Second round of Guess That Blade starts now!

My second Mysteree blade is another new-to-me blade. As far as I know, this is not widely considered a top tier brand, though I know it does have its fans who would certainly consider some of its blades top tier. I also know this brand makes a lot of blades, and I have no idea where this particular one falls within their offerings. All this to say, I really had no idea what to expect!

First pass, I'm feeling almost no tug on my cheeks or neck, which tells me this is a sharp blade. About 4 weepers on my neck agree. Then the fact that it mows down my chin hairs - the same ones that the X-Series had so much trouble with - like they're nothing confirms it. Normally, I try to go XTG alongside my mouth since those whiskers are similar to my chin and mustache, but that's an awkward spot to go east-west, and it's often either ineffective or results in weepers. I decide to just go straight up, and the Mysteree blade has no trouble.

Second pass, more blood on my neck. The Mysteree blade does have some trouble with my mustache, and still more weepers result. Above the jawline is smooth, jawlines are almost smooth, and my neck, despite all the weepers, is still rougher than I'd like, so I'd rate this a DFS+. Post-shave, the alum confirms that apart from on my cheeks, I got a lot of cuts. Skin is feeling pretty irritated 1/2 hour later too.

This was not good, but I blame my inexperience with both the blade and the razor. I'm looking forward to trying again tomorrow. With just 1 day of growth and a sharp blade, I can probably take it in 1 pass. And if I'm careful enough with my touch and angle, maybe I can minimize the weepers as well.

4.73/10

View attachment 1455759

Mysteree blade #2, shave #1
2 days growth
Preshave: warm shower
Brush: PAA Starcraft (24mm synthetic)
Soap: Mama Bear dragon's blood stick
Razor: Henson Al-13+++
Aftershave: alum, Blade sensitive balm

Second round of Guess That Blade starts now!

My second Mysteree blade is another new-to-me blade. As far as I know, this is not widely considered a top tier brand, though I know it does have its fans who would certainly consider some of its blades top tier. I also know this brand makes a lot of blades, and I have no idea where this particular one falls within their offerings. All this to say, I really had no idea what to expect!

First pass, I'm feeling almost no tug on my cheeks or neck, which tells me this is a sharp blade. About 4 weepers on my neck agree. Then the fact that it mows down my chin hairs - the same ones that the X-Series had so much trouble with - like they're nothing confirms it. Normally, I try to go XTG alongside my mouth since those whiskers are similar to my chin and mustache, but that's an awkward spot to go east-west, and it's often either ineffective or results in weepers. I decide to just go straight up, and the Mysteree blade has no trouble.

Second pass, more blood on my neck. The Mysteree blade does have some trouble with my mustache, and still more weepers result. Above the jawline is smooth, jawlines are almost smooth, and my neck, despite all the weepers, is still rougher than I'd like, so I'd rate this a DFS+. Post-shave, the alum confirms that apart from on my cheeks, I got a lot of cuts. Skin is feeling pretty irritated 1/2 hour later too.

This was not good, but I blame my inexperience with both the blade and the razor. I'm looking forward to trying again tomorrow. With just 1 day of growth and a sharp blade, I can probably take it in 1 pass. And if I'm careful enough with my touch and angle, maybe I can minimize the weepers as well.

4.73/10
Shark Stainless, sorry.

Your friendly Indian blade evangelist here(now that I got the anger out of my system) :biggrin:

The Zorrik usually are the domestic brand for Vidyut so sometimes the QC rejects get in there. The ones in the blue box without Hindi lettering are packaged for the UK market and should be double wrapped. Those are good. The ones you want to try are the Super-Max diamond edge and super stainless in the green box. Those are the top of the current range. A lot of their blades are old stock that is not produced now and causes confusion.
@APBinNCA @luv2shave I have just seen some black-boxed Super Max Diamond Edge platinum blades. They have a large blue diamond on the box and the box is predominately black with white lettering and a multi-coloured holographic effect as small stars around the box front. They are labelled "Super-Max Diamond Edge". A slogan says "I Like How It Feels!" (sic) on the front of the box also in white letters. Have you ever seen these?! Are they any good?

Last edited:
@APBinNCA @luv2shave I have just seen some black-boxed Super Max Diamond Edge platinum blades. They have a large blue diamond on the box and the box is predominately black with white lettering and a multi-coloured holographic effect as small stars around the box front. They are labelled "Super-Max Diamond Edge". A slogan says "I Like How It Feels!" (sic) on the front of the box also in white letters. Have you ever seen these?! Are they any good?
Yep, those are the ones to get! @luv2shave did some kind of single blade for a month thing with one if I remember correctly. I am not sure about longevity testing, that would be your department. ;)

They are about as sharp as a Voskhod, Indian blades don't get any sharper. Other than Gillette blacks.

Yep, those are the ones to get! @luv2shave did some kind of single blade for a month thing with one if I remember correctly. I am not sure about longevity testing, that would be your department. ;)

They are about as sharp as a Voskhod, Indian blades don't get any sharper. Other than Gillette blacks.
I just bought 100 for £5.49. I will report back. I have some explaining to do to the Finance Ministry..

Thank you for the OBIF mention @APBinNCA. I got 29 shaves off one blade of the Super-Max Diamond Edge SP Blade for one blade in feb challenge. It was a roller coaster ride maninly due to my inexperience. Definitely a blade which kept coming back to life to give irritation free buttery smooth shaves. I have medium coarse hair on my cheeks and steel hard coarse middle age stubble on the neck snd chin. It did a great job on those areas.

I've always found the Super-Max blades as middle of the line sharp blades. They mainly fill in the value blade segment compared to Gillette blades like the green or the black which are premium blades.

The Diamond edge stood out from the pack. It isn't top tier but it is definitely a sharp and smooth blade comparable to many blades in its segment. Here is the packaging.

20220515_081509.jpg
20220515_081529.jpg

Sun 15 Mysteree-X Blade#1 Shave#10 & still can go on...amazing!!
Soap Colonel Conk BayRum
Brush Yaqi 26mm Rainbow
Razor Parker SemiSlant
Blade Persona X Series 10th
Aftershaves Stirling Witchhazel BayRum + Clubman VIBR
Very nice soap! Light scent and a super lather...rich and slick!
Excellent shave with this blade paired with the razor. The blade is still crisply smooth and comfortable...no sign of tugging. 3passes without any issues for a dfs+ finish.
20220515_124529.jpg

Razor: Leaf Twig
Blade: Tatra Platinum 0.5 shave 4
Brush: white ghost synthetic in t400 handle
Soap: Behold the whatsis!
AS: Seaforth spiced lime

Blade has excellent longevity, great shave. I can't notice much difference between shaves except the first shave is a little sharp and then settles down after that.

Top Bottom