What's new

Opinion: A proper lather is at least half the secret of a good shave

Do you think that a proper lather is at least half the secret of a good shave?

• I don't need no stinking lather!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
IMHO, the proper lather (for my face) is at least half the secret of getting a good shave (whichever 3 letter acronym you are trying to achieve). What's your opinion; I'd like to know.
Proper lather = the lather most suitable for your skin type and shaving preference, taking into account YMMV.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Brush lathering for me is very enjoyable and so lather generating is important to me. Technique is still king when shaving but that is a given for most of us or taken for granted. I not usually in a hurry so making lather is no big chore but more a relaxing process of shaving.

Brush lathering for me is very enjoyable and so lather generating is important to me. Technique is still king when shaving but that is a given for most of us or taken for granted. I not usually in a hurry so making lather is no big chore but more a relaxing process of shaving.
I always have some good cream on hand for when I want a quick lather.

As a beginner, it's a wonderful sensation to see proper lathering and technique coming together. Not quite there yet, still very enjoyable to experience the progress. Now, if I can only get the sensitivity to detect differences in blades...

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I tend to agree BigJ…….However I really enjoy trying new soaps and the feel of a nice lather.👍😊💈
I had to laugh, because I am addicted to my nose, and what goes in it. Scents are without a doubt more important than I think any other sense... I'll explain later, possibly in a thread I started when I had COVID.

Now, I am an oddball (for MANY reasons!) BUT probably the biggest is that I could use gasoline for aftershave 90+% of the time. The 10 % of the time I can't is because of bad lather, I suppose, or bad prep, which, it could be argued, lather is a part of prep.

Today I shaved in the shower! I used whatever soap was in there, and on top of that I put Barbasol in the can on.

Shave was great, 9 out of 10 easily.

EXCELLENT poll by the way, @NoahYoung860 ! Thank you.

I had to laugh, because I am addicted to my nose, and what goes in it. Scents are without a doubt more important than I think any other sense... I'll explain later, possibly in a thread I started when I had COVID.

Now, I am an oddball (for MANY reasons!) BUT probably the biggest is that I could use gasoline for aftershave 90+% of the time. The 10 % of the time I can't is because of bad lather, I suppose, or bad prep, which, it could be argued, lather is a part of prep.

Today I shaved in the shower! I used whatever soap was in there, and on top of that I put Barbasol in the can on.

Shave was great, 9 out of 10 easily.

EXCELLENT poll by the way, @NoahYoung860 ! Thank you.
I can relate Farmer Tan….Many times I “accidentally” used gasoline as a mouth wash trying to copy my dad when I would see him Siphon gas with a small hose from his truck to the lawn mower…I finally got good at it, but I am pretty sure it’s a lost art these days!

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
I believe that lather equals up to 50% of a great shave. And look, 12 other's agree with me, yay, I am normal! LOL! 😁

Not long ago, I completely screwed up my lather, and it tried while it was on my face, and I felt like my face was in some kind of cast mold or something. I got razor burn from that shave that day.

So ya, speaking from experience here, I think lather is very important to getting a good shave.

As the Italian saying goes (from Cella Milano): a good lather is half the shave

83DED619-F262-464B-9957-E55979198AC1.jpeg

I always thought I had sensitive skin so I could only shave every other day. Finally read enough on this fine forum about how to lather properly. Suddenly everything changed. So for me lather is at least half of the equation.

Sure, a great lather is a huge factor for a really good shave but as with everything else, its subjective. I really enjoy whipping up that ”perfect” shiny lather but today I used ”Gillette classic” shaving foam. I just love the scent of that stuff. Had a really awesome shave using the vector with a Kai captain. My dad shaved with disposables and hand soap for near 40 years without any issues. So, it IS important to have a good lather but I think the sum of all parts makes ”perfect”.

For me technique, razor and blade are more than 50%, much more! Lather is in fourth place.

Absolutely! Technique, prep, razor and blade are my main things to consider and after that comes the lather.

If everything else is done properly, then a good lather will make the shave even better, but even if one of the things above fails, then not even the greatest lather is going to compensate for no/bad technique, bad/no prep, too aggresive razor or a dull blade, so I'd say it depends on how things are done.

Last edited:

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I can relate Farmer Tan….Many times I “accidentally” used gasoline as a mouth wash trying to copy my dad when I would see him Siphon gas with a small hose from his truck to the lawn mower…I finally got good at it, but I am pretty sure it’s a lost art these days!
Isn't that a "rite of passage" for boys that are now at least 55 years old? Lol, everything those "Greatest Generation" guys did was manly, Man!

I miss my old man every stinkin' day, but the good news is: I'm just like him! Lol, I am so blessed, because my wife loved my Dad as much as her real Dad, and there was NEVER a bigger daddy's girl than her.

Those dudes didn't have to worry about being insulted by Gillette, they'd have driven to the HQ in Boston and knocked some heads together! "Advertise THIS 'King' doggone!"

Isn't that a "rite of passage" for boys that are now at least 55 years old? Lol, everything those "Greatest Generation" guys did was manly, Man!

I miss my old man every stinkin' day, but the good news is: I'm just like him! Lol, I am so blessed, because my wife loved my Dad as much as her real Dad, and there was NEVER a bigger daddy's girl than her.

Those dudes didn't have to worry about being insulted by Gillette, they'd have driven to the HQ in Boston and knocked some heads together! "Advertise THIS 'King' doggone!"
Very true sir….Very true😉

Top Bottom