What's new

2021ers?

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Thanks Phoenixkh! If I hadn’t spent so much time here, I’d have more money. But I consider this forum a motivator for learning. Learning what razor works best for me is my goal. I have a bunch of razors, but still haven’t found THE ONE for my face, as you have. And I’m more than a bit jealous of your success!!!! So I keep searching…

Most Sincerely,

Curly
I did buy a Timeless Titanium Crown handle for my second polished Claymore Evolution. That should be fun.. they are works of art. I never would have seen one had it not been for the photographs here.

I'm trying to slow down my purchases.... I have one more brush in the works and I think I'm done for a while. Other than getting more blades when I finish my experimentations. I only have two more blades to go... I start one of them tomorrow. I already have a favorite so unless one of the last two is significantly better, I'll stock up on a few Feather AC ProGuard packs of 15.

I did buy a Timeless Titanium Crown handle for my second polished Claymore Evolution. That should be fun.. they are works of art. I never would have seen one had it not been for the photographs here.

I'm trying to slow down my purchases.... I have one more brush in the works and I think I'm done for a while. Other than getting more blades when I finish my experimentations. I only have two more blades to go... I start one of them tomorrow. I already have a favorite so unless one of the last two is significantly better, I'll stock up on a few Feather AC ProGuard packs of 15.
I have three Timeless razors and they are all great shavers. I think Timeless products are top notch. But it’s the journey which appeals to me. I like to experiment with razors and blades and soaps and creams and brushes. I’ll need a corporate sponsor if I ever start experimenting with aftershaves. I enjoy learning from everyone here, from novice to expert, about what works for them. And I still haven’t found my Excalibur!

But ain’t this fun!

Curly

So… What was in mail call today, @Curly Straight?? Enquiring minds want to know! :w00t:
OK T Bone, here we go!

C48799E7-33E0-475B-A1E6-223DF48F8373.jpeg

The Rex Ambassador and Rocnel Sailor vs. my user-Toggles. I’ve just shaved with the two Toggles during Vintage April. Both gave very good shaves. Tonight I’m off to “Rocnel-ville” as it emptied my RAD account. It’s a 2021 standard Sailor, serial 152. Guess if I don’t like it, someone else here will get a shot at it on BST. Wish me luck or laugh at my gullibility. Or both! It seemed like a good idea at the time.

Happy Shaves Gents!

Curly

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
OK T Bone, here we go!

View attachment 1454777
The Rex Ambassador and Rocnel Sailor vs. my user-Toggles. I’ve just shaved with the two Toggles during Vintage April. Both gave very good shaves. Tonight I’m off to “Rocnel-ville” as it emptied my RAD account. It’s a 2021 standard Sailor, serial 152. Guess if I don’t like it, someone else here will get a shot at it on BST. Wish me luck or laugh at my gullibility. Or both! It seemed like a good idea at the time.

Happy Shaves Gents!

Curly
I'm looking forward to your reports on both razors... Congrats again.

Thank you, Phoenixkh!

I guess the worst that could happen is I lose a few bucks in the BST section. But I do so enjoy trying new stuff, learning new things. And I most certainly could have worse addictions. At least with wet-shaving, my wife loves the results. I just fail to mention how much some of these razors cost. I feel that’s fair. I never ask her how much she spends on shoes or grandchildren. 😳

I’ll keep y’all posted!

Curly

Nice! They all look prett sweet, I'm sure you'll like them!

Even on the off-chance you don't, pretty much anything that's not low-end entry level products seems to move on BST. (My observation at least, I haven't tried to sell anything yet myself.) You obviously won't get what you paid for it, but I figure it's worth that difference to learn that you don't like it.

+1!

Nice! They all look prett sweet, I'm sure you'll like them!

Even on the off-chance you don't, pretty much anything that's not low-end entry level products seems to move on BST. (My observation at least, I haven't tried to sell anything yet myself.) You obviously won't get what you paid for it, but I figure it's worth that difference to learn that you don't like it.

+1!
Thanks T Bone!

That’s very similar to my response to Phoenixkh. I’m enjoying the journey searching for my Excalibur razor. But I am a bit jealous he already found his. 😂

Plus it’s really fun just experimenting and reading what everyone else is doing in this quest for the perfect shave!

Post pics and report later. Happy Shaves!

Curly

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Thanks T Bone!

That’s very similar to my response to Phoenixkh. I’m enjoying the journey searching for my Excalibur razor. But I am a bit jealous he already found his. 😂

Plus it’s really fun just experimenting and reading what everyone else is doing in this quest for the perfect shave!

Post pics and report later. Happy Shaves!

Curly
My Timeless Titanium Crown handle showed up today... man, it's a thing of beauty. Time got away from me today.... so I'll try it tomorrow.

Ok Gents….Rocnel was loaded with a new PolSilver blade, my blade of choice recently based on fantastic shaves from other razors. Set on “3”, just like my vintage Gillette adjustables. TOBS Sandalwood cream slathered on using a Muhle Traditional silver badger brush. Tried a cold-water prep, post hot shower, to close my pores as suggested by Medivh here in B&B.
CDFA4E53-874C-4579-A0D9-8E67EA160FDD.jpeg

2-pass shave with some cleanup around my chin. One pass WTG, one pass ATG, then clean-up. BBS!! Even shaved my outer ears, which used to result in bleeding using carts or electric clippers. Truly amazing shave when compared to last night’s PAA Ascension/Personna blade debacle which I posted in “Modern May”.

Happy Shaves, Y’all!

Curly

My Timeless Titanium Crown handle showed up today... man, it's a thing of beauty. Time got away from me today.... so I'll try it tomorrow.
Those Timeless products are things of beauty! The three below are on my list for Modern May. Is the handle heavier than the one on your Evolution, or lighter? I assume lighter since it’s titanium? Hence I presume you prefer light razors? Asking for a friend……😉
23F2E38B-3BCF-4F72-BE95-7609F202B8F6.jpeg

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Those Timeless products are things of beauty! The three below are on my list for Modern May. Is the handle heavier than the one on your Evolution, or lighter? I assume lighter since it’s titanium? Hence I presume you prefer light razors? Asking for a friend……😉
View attachment 1454910
I know it will be lighter..... it will take off a full ounce from the Claymore Evo... but it's so beautiful I had to try it. We'll see...

I know it will be lighter..... it will take off a full ounce from the Claymore Evo... but it's so beautiful I had to try it. We'll see...
Phoenixkh,

Sounds like an experiment! Let us know how it shaves. Seems like we all share the desire to experiment and learn. Someday soon I hope to have narrowed my razors down to daily drivers. At the moment, mine are more like mass transit. Too many people, not enough space, and never the same ride twice. Finding my ONE seems almost unattainable. But I’m enjoying the journey.

Curly

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Phoenixkh,

Sounds like an experiment! Let us know how it shaves. Seems like we all share the desire to experiment and learn. Someday soon I hope to have narrowed my razors down to daily drivers. At the moment, mine are more like mass transit. Too many people, not enough space, and never the same ride twice. Finding my ONE seems almost unattainable. But I’m enjoying the journey.

Curly
You might not fall in love with just one... but several.. who knows?

Good Evening, Gents! Tonight’s shave was good, but nothing like last night’s. Rex Ambassador loaded with an Astra and set to “3”. TOBS Eton College applied by a Simpson. Maybe a different blade or setting will make it a bit more efficient? I’m starting to like the more aggressive razors, I think? Still the experiment…..and I don’t think it was a better shave than either of my Toggles, but I’d have to go back to my shave journal notes to be sure. It certainly beat the pants off of that PAA shave earlier this week.

F3271E49-E724-4ECA-8C24-5BD468B8A085.jpeg

Happy Shaves to Y’all!

Curly

Wanted to say how y'all been?! to the Brotherhood since there hasn't been much activity since May.
Yesterday was my 1yr B&B Anniversary, although I lurked here long before that. Actually found this site when researching Jeris hair tonic and Clubman Pinaud LOL, which I still use often LOL.

My first Safety Razor was a Merkur 42C (affordable, looked nice and vintage) but as a history nerd, once I realized User-Grade Vintage razors were affordable - if one is patient - and gave amazing shaves, I went pretty RAD crazy. Most of those razors cost the same or half of what that 42c cost. Then I found that GEM SE's work best for me, so I acquired several of those, which I use most often....actually I use everything often except that Merkur. My RAD has pretty much dried up except for the occasional super-low price on a razor not in the collection. But that ain't likely with an Aristocrat, Big Fellow, or the like. I mostly buy/use "drug store" Software, except for the occasional splurge on Stirling samples. B&B BST is also a great source. 😜

Being part of the GRUEL (Gentlemanly Restraint Until End of Lent) was also a highlight this year, as was learning to clean/restore vintage razors, and repair cracked Gillette ball-end handles.
Made lots of wonderful B&B "acquaintances", including some of the Mods. And my technique has improved immensely!

Any other Anniversaries or fun updates from the 21ers this summer?
Cheers and have a great day! :a8:

1660248074538.png

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I applied for adoption.... since I joined on March 1st, 2022.

I just got a Vintage Flat Bottom Tech the other day.... 4th shave today. It's very nice... not quite as efficient as my Claymore Evo but very fun to use. I will have a total 3 Vintage razors when USPS decides to cooperate. That will be it for Vintage DE's. I do plan to buy one modern DE sometime next year, just to have one of them.

Any other Anniversaries or fun updates from the 21ers this summer?
Cheers and have a great day! :a8:
I didn’t sign up here until November/December, but come to think of it, I got my first DE around this time last year. I’ll have to look and see when exactly that was.

Can’t believe it’s been a year. And can’t believe I’m still here tbh. I wasn’t looking to get into something, just get a new razor since grocery stores didn’t seem to carry my Gillette Sensor cartridges anymore!

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Wait… what??!!! 😮🤯
LOL T Bone. I decided to dip my toe into Vintage Gillette DE razors.

Don't worry... I'm still a fan of my Claymore Evo. I'm taking it with me to Bali in a couple weeks. We'll be there for a month... dental work with some vacation too, if I'm feeling well enough.

The only thing I don't like about DE shaving at this point is blade selection. I'm a complete novice and have been relying on a few others here.

Top Bottom