What's new

shave bowls

That brush is so lovely! I can see how its mostly a match with that bowl too. Hey, back to the brush, love that marble looking handle, and I think you call that brush knot a tuxedo do you not? Is that a badger brush, or a synthetic? How's the backbone on that brush? Knot looks like 24 maybe 26. Loft looks like a 58 maybe? Does it have the weight of real marble, or does it feel light, like a resin handle? How do you like the brush?
Thanks! The brush is a custom from Peter at Wolf Whiskers. The knot is a 25mm Black Wolf synthetic with 53mm loft. I can't really quantify the backbone in any meaningful way, but it's perfect for me. The handle is a custom mix of black, white, and silver. (Peter really went the extra mile to create what I had in mind.) I'm sure it's lighter than actual marble, but it feels quite substantial in hand. All in all, I couldn't be happier with it,

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune

Suribachi Mash​

I didn’t know what they were called either, had to look it up. At any rate, works great!

From the description:

This mortar is shaped with molder, and other processes such as making grinding and glazing are done by hands.
The shape of Suribachi is slightly different from all-handmade version, but the glaze and grinding performance are exactly the same.

Japanese mortar (suribachi, literally grinding bowl in English) has the lines unlike that of most of the other countries. They’re made for grinding foods finely with less power.

My mortar's grinding area look like swirling where other Japanese mortar has lines straight down. It prevents ingredients from moving upwards of a mortar, they keep staying in the swirl while grinding. It makes even grinding food much faster with lesser effort, comparing with normal mortar, and It also reduces frictional heat, which keeps scent of food.

Usually Japanese mortar is easy to use for right-handed people (the direction of the lines are made so), though my mortar can grind both clockwise and anti-clockwise. People who are left-handed can use comfortably too
I found one just like yours... it showed up yesterday... broken in more than a dozen pieces. I was so disappointed. I didn't buy it for a shaving bowl but for grinding up spices. We have a stone one from Indonesia but the pestle is also stone and it's very hmmm coarse.... more like lava.. porous... It doesn't do a great job on spices, seeds etc. The Japanese bowl is perfect.

Amazon is sending me a replacement. I just hope it doesn't bite the dust too. ;)

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
I found one just like yours... it showed up yesterday... broken in more than a dozen pieces. I was so disappointed. I didn't buy it for a shaving bowl but for grinding up spices. We have a stone one from Indonesia but the pestle is also stone and it's very hmmm coarse.... more like lava.. porous... It doesn't do a great job on spices, seeds etc. The Japanese bowl is perfect.

Amazon is sending me a replacement. I just hope it doesn't bite the dust too. ;)

In my experience, Amazon doesn't know what they are doing, which is why I don't order breakables on Amazon. They never use enough packing material, and often they use the wrong packing material for the job. Its better to buy bowls from artisans who care, and will package the pottery up accordingly. If you saw the way Captains Choice packaged up my scuttle, you'd know the care that Scott put in, to insure my scuttle arrived to me safely.

Silicone has its place, but I seriously doubt that silicone would work good for a spices mashing bowl, but I could be wrong. I can just picture Kim trying to push the smasher tool into the spices, but the silicone bowl gives way like a shock absorber, making the mashing process take 20-times longer, if achieved at all lol.

Dude, their copper bowls are lovely! My favorite copper bowl that they make, is the leopard print looking one. I don't own any of them, but, if I were to buy a copper bowl, it would have to be that one. But I am super happy with my ceramic's. Your awesome for using CC bowls emwolf! :)
I love my Captain's choice copper bowl - I just wish it was deeper. If you could make a baby between the Timeless plastic bowl and the captain's choice copper bowl.... now that would be a dream... Also maybe make it a scuttle to keep the warmth. Ahhh but I dream.

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

You like scuttles? Well so do I! 😁

Captains Choice Starry Night Scuttle!
proxy.php
proxy.php

proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php

The nice warm lather, and a soft silver tipped badger brush, brings me a very comfortable facial massage, as a I lather up. A very nice refined experience if you asked me!

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune

An update: the second bowl showed up intact. It really is a nice spice mortar and pestle.

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Nice video! Blue is my favorite color, so I would go with the blue one if I bought one. But the lather ridges are really aggressive, reminds me of an aggressive boot tread! When the guy added more water to the bowl later, I was like, ohhhhhhh, you are going for a super lather! Everybody brace for whip pact! I thought for sure we were going to have a man overboard. But somehow, he kept it all in the bowl, great deal!

Yep, I know a silicone bowl isn't as fancy as a CC ceramic bowl, but for some reason that I can not fathom, I want a silicone bowl now. OMG, this hobby is killing me. LOL :lol:

An update: the second bowl showed up intact. It really is a nice spice mortar and pestle.

I am so happy that the second bowl showed up intact, and not in a million pieces. But where's the picture? And actually, it would be nice to see a picture of you using it for spice mashing, unless that is, you want it for lathering purposes, then its gotta have a bowl of lather in it hehe. Good deal Phoenix, happy for you. 😁

I hope the next one comes in less pieces! The one I bought was in Beaverton, Oregon. I see that is a bit out of your way, judging your location! The prices are all over the map, as far as artisan made bowls! I know mine was probably less then 12 bucks, or my cheap donkey probably wouof not have bought it!
That said the video just posted, of the silidone bowls with the fingers at the bottom are interesting! Iced Pineapple shave cream seems like a winner!

1651532494480.png

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I hope the next one comes in less pieces! The one I bought was in Beaverton, Oregon. I see that is a bit out of your way, judging your location! The prices are all over the map, as far as artisan made bowls! I know mine was probably less then 12 bucks, or my cheap donkey probably wouof not have bought it!
That said the video just posted, of the silidone bowls with the fingers at the bottom are interesting! Iced Pineapple shave cream seems like a winner!

View attachment 1449355
Ouch…..I didn’t pay anywhere near that, thankfully. I did use it earlier to grind some coarse harissa spices

Not all of the silicone bowls have those high raised Nubs. Some have lines and some have designs. So all silicone bowls are NOT the same design just so you know.....
Thanks! Silicone is some neat stuff. Just recently picked up a couple of those tie-dye color silicone shot glasses and one of the pint size ones too. For ice cream and milk in the evenings, you understand…

What is most surprising to me, is that despite my clumsiness, I haven’t dropped or broken my bowl. If I did, ( or sure to now that I mentioned it ) I’d probably go with one of the silicone ones. In their own way, rubber has soul too.
✌️

T
Thanks! Silicone is some neat stuff. Just recently picked up a couple of those tie-dye color silicone shot glasses and one of the pint size ones too. For ice cream and milk in the evenings, you understand…

What is most surprising to me, is that despite my clumsiness, I haven’t dropped or broken my bowl. If I did, ( or sure to now that I mentioned it ) I’d probably go with one of the silicone ones. In their own way, rubber has soul too.
✌️
True. The other way to go is , if you happen to have a 3d printer or access to one there are plenty of very neat patterns out there that you could just print yourself. Some are "tributes" to some popular bowls that are currently out.

Yep, I know a silicone bowl isn't as fancy as a CC ceramic bowl, but for some reason that I can not fathom, I want a silicone bowl now. OMG, this hobby is killing me. LOL :lol:
I have two of these silicone bowls and they are fantastic for lathering as well as being practically unbreakable.

I found that they are significantly cheaper when listed as pet food bowls rather than travel shaving bowls. Search for something like "travel pet food bowl slow feeder". There are a selection of colours on the UK bay for £4.39 at the moment with free postage, but I'm sure I paid even less in the past. Identical travel shaving bowls are listed for £9.99 plus £1.95 postage; nearly 3x the price!

Go for the smallest size; the larger sizes are too big to comfortably hold in one hand.

I have two of these silicone bowls and they are fantastic for lathering as well as being practically unbreakable.

I found that they are significantly cheaper when listed as pet food bowls rather than travel shaving bowls. Search for something like "travel pet food bowl slow feeder". There are a selection of colours on the UK bay for £4.39 at the moment with free postage, but I'm sure I paid even less in the past. Identical travel shaving bowls are listed for £9.99 plus £1.95 postage; nearly 3x the price!

Go for the smallest size; the larger sizes are too big to comfortably hold in one hand.
Ok, so these aren’t shave bowls. But! They are silicone, unbreakable, and cool looking. Silicone quality seems like has gotten better over the years. My watch came with a silicone band, which is so soft, u almost want to chew on it. No surprise they are making in breakable wine glasses out of the stuff. I’d have no problem using a shave bowl makes out of the stuff. The ones with the little nubs at the bottom would only help I’d imagine.
This is my cat.
1652330153285.png

Top Bottom