What's new

2021ers?

Well, it's been 2 weeks now. I used my mild for a week then my medium for a week, using the same equipment, so seems a good time to compare. I put this in the Henson thread, but I'll summarize here too.

So after 4 shaves with the medium, I find the differences to be... almost none. Like, so negligible that I checked to be sure Shave Nation didn't send me another mild by mistake. (They didn't.) Happily, I did take a few notes at least that show slight differences:
  • Time: the medium saved me just a minute or 2 per shave
  • Closeness: the medium has given me very slightly closer shaves
  • Cuts: less than 1 extra weeper per shave with the medium
  • Comfort: very similar
So yeah... that's so close that it's hard to tell if any of that is signal versus noise. Kinda disappointing actually, I was hoping for a bigger difference. I guess I'll need more data. Gonna try them both with the Personna X-Series for the Mysteree-X PIF next.

I also have a Lupo 58 coming too, to compare Henson to something completely different. That's about the extent of my RAD though, gonna have to sell 1 or 2 before buying another.

Well, it's been 2 weeks now. I used my mild for a week then my medium for a week, using the same equipment, so seems a good time to compare. I put this in the Henson thread, but I'll summarize here too.

So after 4 shaves with the medium, I find the differences to be... almost none. Like, so negligible that I checked to be sure Shave Nation didn't send me another mild by mistake. (They didn't.) Happily, I did take a few notes at least that show slight differences:
  • Time: the medium saved me just a minute or 2 per shave
  • Closeness: the medium has given me very slightly closer shaves
  • Cuts: less than 1 extra weeper per shave with the medium
  • Comfort: very similar
So yeah... that's so close that it's hard to tell if any of that is signal versus noise. Kinda disappointing actually, I was hoping for a bigger difference. I guess I'll need more data. Gonna try them both with the Personna X-Series for the Mysteree-X PIF next.

I also have a Lupo 58 coming too, to compare Henson to something completely different. That's about the extent of my RAD though, gonna have to sell 1 or 2 before buying another.
Thanks for the detailed update, T Bone! I’ve been considering both a Henson and a Lupo. As I prefer a heavier razor, I’ve held off on the Henson. Can you provide a comparison to an SS razor (like the RR Lupo) for your shaves?

As you mentioned Shave Nation, I’m having an issue with them at the moment. I purchased an Opgress brass adjuster knob from them which did not fit correctly on my Progress, so I emailed them. Sales at SN responded, (rather slowly) and suggested my razor could be a knockoff as it came from Amazon and could only guarantee fit on their Progress which was bonafide Merkur. Rather than argue, I bought a Progress from Shave Nation. Knob does work on theirs either.

Contacted SN again, sending images of all parts and confirming correct assembly. They said I should send both parts back and they would assemble. They said if I wanted to do this, they’d forward a shipping label. I accepted. That was on 4/11. No response. Emailed again on 4/15. Crickets…….

Anyone else here had similar problems with Shave Nation?

Thanks!

Curly

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I know I'm a one trick pony... but if the RR doesn't make a whole lot of difference, you might try what I'm using: the ESC Claymore Evolution. I'm such a newbie it was nice to see this thread: Executive Shaving/Alpha Claymore Evolution. - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/executive-shaving-alpha-claymore-evolution.612985/

Both their reviews are detailed...and they have tons more experience than I do. It's about the same price as two Hensons, if you buy it from ESC... you don't pay the VAT.... so when it ends up in a cart, you can see what the real cost is. The shipping is added, of course, so I try to get a few more things while I'm at it, to spread out the shipping cost per item. $144.69... but if you are a new customer, you get a 10% discount.

On the link above, there are a couple YouTube videos from the owner of Executive Shaving Company.

Thanks for the detailed update, T Bone! I’ve been considering both a Henson and a Lupo. As I prefer a heavier razor, I’ve held off on the Henson. Can you provide a comparison to an SS razor (like the RR Lupo) for your shaves?
Not yet! I've never used a SS razor, Lupo will be my first, but I'll let you know after I've used it a bit.

Anyone else here had similar problems with Shave Nation?
Yikes! I've bought from Shave Nation twice, first time was a couple misc items (alum, Proraso nick seal gel, maybe 1 other thing) - probably could have bought cheaper from Amazon, but I'd learned a lot from Geo's videos and wanted to support his shop instead of rocketman's. Bought the Henson medium from him since shipping was free, and faster coming from Illinois than from Canada. No problems either time, really hope he makes it right for you!

Not yet! I've never used a SS razor, Lupo will be my first, but I'll let you know after I've used it a bit.

Yikes! I've bought from Shave Nation twice, first time was a couple misc items (alum, Proraso nick seal gel, maybe 1 other thing) - probably could have bought cheaper from Amazon, but I'd learned a lot from Geo's videos and wanted to support his shop instead of rocketman's. Bought the Henson medium from him since shipping was free, and faster coming from Illinois than from Canada. No problems either time, really hope he makes it right for you!
Well after I initiated a polite, professional and no-nonsense email to SN, I finally received a response and an RMA shipping label. Not impressed thus far with customer service, but I’ll allow times are different and good help is hard to find right now. Shipped their Progress and Opgress knob back last Friday. It’s a one-day shipping distance from here in WI. Ball is in their court. I’ll patiently await their response. Don’t know who Geo is, but if he’s the owner, he needs to go check on his staff in Customer Service. If he’s in sales, marketing, or CS, he needs to look for a new career opportunity.

Curly

Pretty sure Geo is the owner. Glad you finally got a response, hope this works out in the end, it's sure taken awhile!

I know I'm a one trick pony... but if the RR doesn't make a whole lot of difference, you might try what I'm using: the ESC Claymore Evolution. I'm such a newbie it was nice to see this thread: Executive Shaving/Alpha Claymore Evolution. - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/executive-shaving-alpha-claymore-evolution.612985/

Both their reviews are detailed...and they have tons more experience than I do. It's about the same price as two Hensons, if you buy it from ESC... you don't pay the VAT.... so when it ends up in a cart, you can see what the real cost is. The shipping is added, of course, so I try to get a few more things while I'm at it, to spread out the shipping cost per item. $144.69... but if you are a new customer, you get a 10% discount.

On the link above, there are a couple YouTube videos from the owner of Executive Shaving Company.
Phoenixkh,

As I think we’ve spoken before on this topic, I’m truly happy for you! I think it’s great you found THE razor for you. I also checked the thread you attached, what a cool razor you found. I’d no knowledge of the Claymore Evolution or ESC and it appears they make great razors (from your experience and the comments of others). So, no need to “take a back seat” over being new. You found your Excalibur! Sadly, I noticed it uses something other than a standard DE blade. I’m so deep into RAD with DE’s my budget won’t allow divergence into SE’s or straights. I ran out of money before I ran out of interest, so I’m continuing my experiments with different combinations of razors and blades I already have hoping for shaving nirvana. Funny thing is, some of the best, most consistent shaves I get are from the second razor I tried from those I inherited, 1962 Gillette Slim. I almost think now I could have/should have stopped there. But I’m enjoying the journey (but a bit jealous you found your perfect razor whilst I still struggle to find mine).😆

Congratulations!

Curly

Did the Lupo 58 arrive?
Not yet, according to USPS it should be here Saturday.

Funny thing is, some of the best, most consistent shaves I get are from the second razor I tried from those I inherited, 1962 Gillette Slim. I almost think now I could have/should have stopped there.
That’s the thing, maybe you could have stopped there, but you wouldn’t have known without trying the other razors.

I’m a destination guy. If someone had given me a setup and said with authority this is the best shave I’m gonna get, I’d have said “cool, thanks!” and been good. But instead, after much hemming and hawing, I got the Henson mild, and it was much closer, much bloodier, and much more time consuming than my carts ever were. A few months later, it’s closer still, and less bloody (but still bloodier than the carts), and still time consuming. So now I’m trying a more aggressive Henson and a different razor altogether (the Lupo). Maybe one of those directions will be better; maybe I’ll end up back at the Henson mild. My ultimate goal is the best shave I can get, but even if that’s the mild Henson, I wouldn’t know that without trying other options as well.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Phoenixkh,

As I think we’ve spoken before on this topic, I’m truly happy for you! I think it’s great you found THE razor for you. I also checked the thread you attached, what a cool razor you found. I’d no knowledge of the Claymore Evolution or ESC and it appears they make great razors (from your experience and the comments of others). So, no need to “take a back seat” over being new. You found your Excalibur! Sadly, I noticed it uses something other than a standard DE blade. I’m so deep into RAD with DE’s my budget won’t allow divergence into SE’s or straights. I ran out of money before I ran out of interest, so I’m continuing my experiments with different combinations of razors and blades I already have hoping for shaving nirvana. Funny thing is, some of the best, most consistent shaves I get are from the second razor I tried from those I inherited, 1962 Gillette Slim. I almost think now I could have/should have stopped there. But I’m enjoying the journey (but a bit jealous you found your perfect razor whilst I still struggle to find mine).😆

Congratulations!

Curly
Curly, thx for the response. Yeah.. if you have a lot invested in DE blades, that makes deviation problematic. At least, you love your Gillette Slim and can experiment from there.

Not yet, according to USPS it should be here Saturday.

That’s the thing, maybe you could have stopped there, but you wouldn’t have known without trying the other razors.

I’m a destination guy. If someone had given me a setup and said with authority this is the best shave I’m gonna get, I’d have said “cool, thanks!” and been good. But instead, after much hemming and hawing, I got the Henson mild, and it was much closer, much bloodier, and much more time consuming than my carts ever were. A few months later, it’s closer still, and less bloody (but still bloodier than the carts), and still time consuming. So now I’m trying a more aggressive Henson and a different razor altogether (the Lupo). Maybe one of those directions will be better; maybe I’ll end up back at the Henson mild. My ultimate goal is the best shave I can get, but even if that’s the mild Henson, I wouldn’t know that without trying other options as well.
And ain’t this fun? With all my failures, regardless of the money I’ve spent, I’m still enjoying the journey!

Curly

Curly, thx for the response. Yeah.. if you have a lot invested in DE blades, that makes deviation problematic. At least, you love your Gillette Slim and can experiment from there.
I do love my Slim. If only I could have stopped there! I keep thinking the next razor will be better, be The One. I started with (5) inherited razors in 2017. Last count, I believe I have 66 DE razors now. Give or take one. Or two. Not including any razor that might be stuck in transit…..😳

Curly

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I do love my Slim. If only I could have stopped there! I keep thinking the next razor will be better, be The One. I started with (5) inherited razors in 2017. Last count, I believe I have 66 DE razors now. Give or take one. Or two. Not including any razor that might be stuck in transit…..😳

Curly
That is quite a few. I'm up to 9 soaps/creams and 4 brushes with one more in transit. I did buy most of the available different AC razor blades that fit my razor. I just started experimenting with them my last shave. I had already shaved with 2 out of the 3 Feather AC blades available. So... I'm just starting this leg of the journey.

3022C80E-DD67-44B5-9547-2DA2496921FC.jpeg

It's new equipment day!

1. The Lupo 58! While I like my Hensons a lot, I had to play the field a bit and try a stainless razor with a more traditional head. I do like the Lupo! I dig the scalloped bar. I like the weight, the shorter handle, the UFO. (For the record, I like the look of the Henson too - a very modern, form-follows-function look, but as an engineer I quite appreciate that!) Anyway, I was expecting a rough outing, worried that the Henson is too forgiving and lets me get away with things that another razor - even one in RazoRock's "mild-medium" category - would punish. It actually wasn't though! I went with standard first 2 passes, no need to be fancy. They went fine, so I finished with an ATG pass, and did give myself a weeper on my mustache and 2 more on the right corner. No buffing or cleanup on my neck or jawlines today, but still finished with a DFS+. All in all, a successful first shave!

2. The Maggard 18mm travel Timberwolf! I wanted a smaller synthetic for travel, and the Timberwolf is as small a synthetic as you can get AFAIK, plus people seem to really like it. And holy cow, it is TINY compared to my very average-size 24mm PAA Starcraft! It doesn't even fit in the brush side of my stand, so it's drying standing up. I definitely like a bigger handle, I kept thinking I was going to drop it, but the knot size was fine, produced enough lather for 3 passes and maybe some cleanup if I do that next time. Definitely a thumbs-up as a travel brush.

3. Edwin Jagger sandalwood balm! I added a sample to my cart when I bought the Timberwolf. It was ok, I think I like the idea of sandalwood more than I like it in practice. Maybe in a cream or soap would be better. I think I prefer my balm unscented. As a balm though it was fine, it soothed my skin like it's supposed to.

View attachment 1450245

It's new equipment day!

1. The Lupo 58! While I like my Hensons a lot, I had to play the field a bit and try a stainless razor with a more traditional head. I do like the Lupo! I dig the scalloped bar. I like the weight, the shorter handle, the UFO. (For the record, I like the look of the Henson too - a very modern, form-follows-function look, but as an engineer I quite appreciate that!) Anyway, I was expecting a rough outing, worried that the Henson is too forgiving and lets me get away with things that another razor - even one in RazoRock's "mild-medium" category - would punish. It actually wasn't though! I went with standard first 2 passes, no need to be fancy. They went fine, so I finished with an ATG pass, and did give myself a weeper on my mustache and 2 more on the right corner. No buffing or cleanup on my neck or jawlines today, but still finished with a DFS+. All in all, a successful first shave!

2. The Maggard 18mm travel Timberwolf! I wanted a smaller synthetic for travel, and the Timberwolf is as small a synthetic as you can get AFAIK, plus people seem to really like it. And holy cow, it is TINY compared to my very average-size 24mm PAA Starcraft! It doesn't even fit in the brush side of my stand, so it's drying standing up. I definitely like a bigger handle, I kept thinking I was going to drop it, but the knot size was fine, produced enough lather for 3 passes and maybe some cleanup if I do that next time. Definitely a thumbs-up as a travel brush.

3. Edwin Jagger sandalwood balm! I added a sample to my cart when I bought the Timberwolf. It was ok, I think I like the idea of sandalwood more than I like it in practice. Maybe in a cream or soap would be better. I think I prefer my balm unscented. As a balm though it was fine, it soothed my skin like it's supposed to.
T Bone,

Thanks for the detailed update! Nice review!!

I’ve a couple new modern razors inbound and I just picked up a second travel brush to augment my Muhle synthetic. Thought I’d branch out since I’d been testing vintage Gillettes all last month. If I can come up with anything interesting to report, I’ll post here next week. This week’s travel kit is my Progress and the Muhle. They are fine companions on the road.

Until next week…..

Curly

Two new razors inbound: a Rex Ambassador and a Rocnel Sailor, should arrive tomorrow. Tonight’s shave was a Blackland Blackbird. Most excellent shaving experience. Couldn’t believe it after being disappointed with the first shave and posting it as a disappointment on another thread here. I recanted and posted this to Modern May a few minutes ago. It wasn’t the wand, it was the magician that made it fail the first time. I’ll drop a line here tomorrow with whichever razor shows up. Here’s tonight’s photo.
BE8D2C7F-A38F-4BED-8D8E-18BAD1F7E191.jpeg

Happy Shaves Y’all!

Curly

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Two new razors inbound: a Rex Ambassador and a Rocnel Sailor, should arrive tomorrow. Tonight’s shave was a Blackland Blackbird. Most excellent shaving experience. Couldn’t believe it after being disappointed with the first shave and posting it as a disappointment on another thread here. I recanted and posted this to Modern May a few minutes ago. It wasn’t the wand, it was the magician that made it fail the first time. I’ll drop a line here tomorrow with whichever razor shows up. Here’s tonight’s photo.
View attachment 1453733

Happy Shaves Y’all!

Curly
Wow... you have the top of the top of adjustables on the way. People just love their Rocnel Sailor. I hope it's everything you hope it is. You aren't taking much of a risk since they are scarce and hold their value.

So… What was in mail call today, @Curly Straight?? Enquiring minds want to know! :w00t:
Mail call today was sadly devoid of new razors. Due in tomorrow according to tracking. I’ll post photos once I’ve received and then shaved. Not much reason to post if the shave was like today’s for Modern May. It was not fun. A PAA Ascension with a Personna blade nearly ripped my face off. I’d blame it on poor technique if Vintage April hadn’t improved my technique. 😝

Please Stand By!

Curly

Wow... you have the top of the top of adjustables on the way. People just love their Rocnel Sailor. I hope it's everything you hope it is. You aren't taking much of a risk since they are scarce and hold their value.
Thanks Phoenixkh! If I hadn’t spent so much time here, I’d have more money. But I consider this forum a motivator for learning. Learning what razor works best for me is my goal. I have a bunch of razors, but still haven’t found THE ONE for my face, as you have. And I’m more than a bit jealous of your success!!!! So I keep searching…

Most Sincerely,

Curly

Top Bottom