What's new

Help identifying Geneva Cutlery razor

I’m very new to straight razors. Been using an old style Gillette DE forever and wanted to up my game. I bought this straight razor but I’m trying to figure out the style, type, and year it was manufactured. Can you guys help?

Attachments

• 2F9225B3-B6DC-42C8-AC06-CAE19A574E99.jpeg
    2F9225B3-B6DC-42C8-AC06-CAE19A574E99.jpeg
    832.8 KB · Views: 42
  • 6E689D52-23E0-4BD6-9D10-4627F841FBD8.jpeg
    6E689D52-23E0-4BD6-9D10-4627F841FBD8.jpeg
    432.5 KB · Views: 42
  • 49F6948E-5EF4-458B-9368-CEF463901A81.jpeg
    49F6948E-5EF4-458B-9368-CEF463901A81.jpeg
    445.5 KB · Views: 40
Early 1900s. I believe they started making razors around 1902. They changed from Geneva Cutlery Co to Inc in 1928 and the brand was bought by Case in 1935. I think all of the Case era razors were branded Genco, but that mark might have been used prior as well. So between 1902 and 1927. Perhaps someone else here is more familiar with the specific stamping style to narrow it down further, but honestly, a 25 year window is pretty good for dating a razor.

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
I suggest that you look up Geneva advertisement literature/posters on eBay. Sometimes those can give you some help.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
For style/type, from the photos:
  • American (square) point,
  • Single stabiliser,
  • Half to full hollow (hard to tell) grind and
  • 6/8 or a little less blade width.
Maybe not the best for a n00bie to SR shaving because of the point style but it still should be a very good shaver.

For style/type, from the photos:
  • American (square) point,
  • Single stabiliser,
  • Half to full hollow (hard to tell) grind and
  • 6/8 or a little less blade width.
Maybe not the best for a n00bie to SR shaving because of the point style but it still should be a very good shaver.
You recommend the rounded point then? I was actually thinking about that. What’s a good noob razor?

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
You recommend the rounded point then? I was actually thinking about that. What’s a good noob razor?
Most of your questions are answered here:

A Dutch (round) point is generally considered the most forgiving SR to shave with.

Knowing your location and budget would help us greatly in advising you.

What you have already bought (when honed to truly shave-ready) is a very capable shaver. Perhaps you should consider a more forgiving SR to start with. A new shave-ready SR and reasonable strop can be had for well under USD 100.

If you find that SR shaving is not for you, you can sell the gear on B&B and get a lot of your money back. We are waiting and hoping for this with @discomike 😁. He has some lovely SR's not being used (yet).

Most of your questions are answered here:

A Dutch (round) point is generally considered the most forgiving SR to shave with.

Knowing your location and budget would help us greatly in advising you.

What you have already bought (when honed to truly shave-ready) is a very capable shaver. Perhaps you should consider a more forgiving SR to start with. A new shave-ready SR and reasonable strop can be had for well under USD 100.

If you find that SR shaving is not for you, you can sell the gear on B&B and get a lot of your money back. We are waiting and hoping for this with @discomike 😁. He has some lovely SR's not being used (yet).

Wow. That’s a helluva instruction booklet! Very informative! Thank you. Also I’m located in Maine and looking to spend between $50-75.00 on a vintage razor. Where could a beginners strop be had?

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
As you are new to SR shaving, starting with a vintage SR has its problems because you don't know what to look for when buying and what you get most probably will not be truly shave-ready.

With your budget, you would be better off buying a new SR like a Gold Dollar 208 or Titan ACRM-2 T.H.60, both available on AliExpress for about USD 10 to 20 including shipping. They come not shave-ready so you will then have to have it professionally honed which should cost you about USD 30.

An alternative is to see if you can get a used SR in the BTS section of B&B. If a member of B&B claims that the SR he/she is selling is shave ready, there is a very good chance that it is.

As for a strop, one option is a mid-range strop listed on AliExpress, although you need to be more careful now as they are being supplied with thinner lather. Some vendors there are still selling the thicker leather strops.

Other Strops may be found on eBay. You should also discuss your strop requirements with @Tony Miller. If best for you, he will even suggested a strop that he doesn't sell.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Another thing to consider is your choice of shaving soap. Some soaps work very well with DE shaving but not so well with SR shaving.

Top Bottom