What's new

Looking to jump into DE

I'm not new to the wet shaving, but I must confess I am looking to get more into it and start DE shaving. I have some serious concerns about how chewed up my face will be and what the healing time normally is. Due to being in the healthcare field I have to wear N95 masks all day with little break. Is anyone else in healthcare and wearing masks constantly? How long after serious damage to you face were you comfortable in a mask? Any other tips on speeding up recovery would be great as well. Thanks.

I'm not new to the wet shaving, but I must confess I am looking to get more into it and start DE shaving. I have some serious concerns about how chewed up my face will be and what the healing time normally is. Due to being in the healthcare field I have to wear N95 masks all day with little break. Is anyone else in healthcare and wearing masks constantly? How long after serious damage to you face were you comfortable in a mask? Any other tips on speeding up recovery would be great as well. Thanks.
Welcome to the forum!
Hopefully you get all your questions answered in order for you to progress and have a great shaving experience every time. One thing I would definitely do (in addition to asking for your specific situation advice) is to go through the shaving wiki:
Good luck,
LRod

I have some serious concerns about how chewed up my face will be and what the healing time normally is.

I wouldn't expect you to suffer anything more that the odd weeper and maybe a nick or two. DE shaving is not a blood sport. With a mild razor, a decent blade, a good lather, and consistent focus, it is hard to actually hurt yourself. You could always shave after your shifts forthe first couple of weeks, until you have built your confidence.

Oh, and buy a styptic pencil or alum block. Just in case! :)

Welcome to the boards! :badger:

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
Wow, I've never done the kind of damage you're concerned about. I did misjudge the distance between the razor and my face at the start of one down stroke that left a mark for a few days.

I watched a bunch of mantic59 videos before I started and didn't use a Feather blade until I had been shaving for months.

Many shavers come from the land of carts (those plastic things with multiple blades) and use waaaay too much pressure at the beginning. Don't do that.

Start with just a WTG pass or two (that you just read about in the WIKI).

If you have equipment questions be as specific as you can be: price range or what you don't like about your razor/blade/brush if you're looking for a change. We love questions here.

I sometimes find that the mask makes my freshly shaven face a little itchy. If you find that you might want to shave after work rather than in the AM.

Good luck and keep the healthy respect, but relax a little.

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand

Welcome to Badger & Blade! :)

There is a short learning curve, to using a DE safety razor. I've only been wet shaving for 2-months, and working on my 3rd month as we speak. I can tell you right now, I started getting it figured out after my 5th shave, after 10-shaves, I pretty much had it figured out. I agree about checking out the WIKI for information, but I can give you a few important guidelines right away, to help you on your journey.

(1) Never use pressure with a DE safety razor!
(2) DE razors work best by using the proper angle!
(3) Make sure your lather is nice and slick!

Unlike cartridge razors, which train you to use pressure to make them work, DE razors do not work that way, you don't need to use any pressure. As long as a DE blade is sharp, its going to cut. But if you apply pressure, its going to cut more then you whiskers, its gonna cut into your skin too, so be aware of that, use no pressures.

To find your angle, I feel its best to have the handle straight down, razor head facing straight up. Then raze the handle upwards, thereby tilting the head towards your face, until you start hearing the blade cutting. Once you do, don't tilt the blade up any higher! This should provide you a nice first time WTG pass experience.

I suggest not chasing BBS shaves until you learn your technique and get better at DE shaving. Make sure that your lather is slick, too much soap is not good, too much water is also not good. Look for a wet yogurt like consistency. I know, its tricky getting your lather just right, trust me, I know! But you will figure it out, I have complete faith in you.

These are just a few good tips to help you out right away, to help you get going. Hope this helps!

Oh, and buy a styptic pencil or alum block. Just in case! :)

I couldn't agree more with this statement. I wouldn't know what I'd do if I didn't have an alum block, they are a life saver!

it is called safety razor for a reason, no need to fear it imo. reserve some time for your first shave, 40-50minutes should be enough. it would help to first learn to lather, still using your current razor, then move on to using your DE razor. 2-3 times, and your lather should be good enough, if you follow the guides here.

There is a learning curve, but fortunately it's not too steep. As already noted by another respondent, one of the main keys to shaving with a DE razor is not to use pressure. Finding the right angle isn't too hard either.

Some other things I can recommend are to use a "mild" razor and use a good product that has good slickness so the razor glides easily.

You'll get there in no time. Enjoy the journey!

Welcome aboard!

I have not had more than a mild abrasion or ‘weeper’ so have no experience with anything more serious.

I suggest you pick a ‘mild/moderate’ razor, then take your time. Good prep, reasonable lather and proper razor angle and you should do just fine!!

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
Welcome to B&B @Curbside!

Can you please tell us about your previous wet shaving experience, and what you are shaving with now? I tore my face up with electric razors for many decades, then started wet shaving because it is actually gentler on my skin.

There are tons and tons of DE razors to look at and use, some on the mild side, some on the wild side. Probably best to start with a mild razor, like a vintage Gillette Tech, but there are many mild modern DE razors out there, just ask!

Happy shaves

~doug~

I have been at this for one month. I started with EJ DE89 and Baili BD191 razors. I was using the Derby blades because they came with the EJ. My first shaves were with regular shaving cream and zero prep. I had 3 spots start to bleed that I never felt. And one cut from accidentally moving the blade sideways on my skin while adjusting my grip.
All my wounds were unnoticeable an hour later.
A couple of days ago I joined B&B and was advised to use a sharper blade.
All irritation and nicks vanished with the sharper blade. Don't fear a sharper blade if you are using a mild razor. And don't chase the perfect shave. That happens organically as you become more comfortable. Then your technique improves rapidly.
Cheers,
Elwood.

Welcome to B&B.
Start with two passes and don't chase BBS standard, that way you can use the N95 mask without issues.

All the advice above will serve you well, especially the equipment.
For razors a Henson or Yates would be great
Or if you want to go for less money a merkur 28c
Good luck!

Welcome to B&B!
Lots of good advice here already. I might add that maybe one pass with the grain for the first shave or two, with no pressure.
Enjoy, you'll soon be shaving like a pro! :thumbsup:

You shouldn’t have any issues. Do a bit of research, watch a couple YT videos, and off to the races. Enjoy the journey and amazing shaves await.

Top Bottom