What's new

I can't believe that AliExpress sells a DE razor for .66 cents!

So I ordered a Yaqi slant head and a brush from the Yaqi factory store a few days ago. The purchase was through AliExpress and it was my first time buying from them. I had never even browsed their website. Anyways, since then they have been flooding me with emails showing me related items. I couldn't believe that they sell a DE razor which they claim to be stainless steel for .66 cents. I laughed when I saw it because I couldn't believe that at that price it would be possible. And that's just that item, they have thousands of other ridiculously low priced stuff. Note: I don't plan on buying it. I was just shocked that they have something that cheap. And I'm curious if anyone here has actually tried it or one that's similar?
At that price I figure it would be more disposable than anything else. But I could be wrong!

Here it is:

Yep. After I created an account with AliExpress I started receiving a ton of promotional emails and eventually purchased a stainless steel handle for $.59 and free shipping. The arrival date was way out but I watched the tracking info and it cleared US customs pretty quickly. Then it just sat forever with no updates until one day about six weeks after the original ship date it showed up in my mail box. It looks great, has heft, is super knurly, and a pre-war Gillette Tech head sits on top of it now.

I haven’t bought anything else from AliExpress, but that first but turned out alright.

However, I would have been much more hesitant to purchase a full razor or the head from AliExpress as that’s the working end that would sit on my face. 😄

Last edited:
That particular model is very bad and most people claim that these razors won't last even a month of regular use and on top of that they have other issues like blade misalignments and uneven gap. Only the very brave would dare to shave with that thing.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Stainless steel? Hah, that's the same junk razor you could buy for $1 at the Dollar Tree.
Big @GlazedBoker thread about that here -->

Speaking of Aliexpress, beware of potential bait and switch schemes.
Recently bought a Yaqi Timberwolf brush from some store on Aliexpress other than the "Yaqi factory store".
The brush was a little over 11 EUR including shipping.
The main reason I went for this one was that it was supposedly in stock close by in the EU, which means not waiting for a month or two for it to arrive from China.
A day after I bought the brush/sent the money through Paypal, the seller wrote a message in Chinese that auto translated too "logistics so expensive, take too long, you so far away from home, please send 31 USD now to complete order".
That is $31 for shipping a brush that is located right here in the EU and can be shipped for around $3.
I ended up applying for a refund which took a few days to process but do wonder how many poor souls would pay the extra $31 to get their beloved brush and things over with.
Reported the store but they still have that exact same Timberwolf baiting brush listed, still at 11 EUR. Scammers...

Iridian

Cool and slimy
Aliexpress has many sellers. There are these offers, I once got a Lemonwald handle there after it was posted here, which was indeed cheap, but not stainless steel.

I have very good experiences with Yaqi, DSCosmetics, Yintal for razors and Sofirn, Astrolux, Convoy for flashlights. Liitokaala (sounds Finnish, is Chinese... hehe) for batteries and chargers. Plus various knives.

I had once an order that didn't arrive years ago, got a full refund - by Aliexpress. While we as "Westerners" might be used to talk to the shop owner/seller first, going directly to the complaint system of Aliexpress seems to work out better in most cases. I can only talk about myself and reports I read.

Deliveries from Aliexpress often have European warehouses in Southern and Eastern Europe that are very fast, directly from China often works out in 6-10 days by now.
For a free and tracked standard delivery, with customs managed by Aliexpress. That also manages to arrive. My multitool from Ali that didn't got fully refunded, my Razorock BBS AS just got lost and nobody was responsible for anything.

I wish Europe and American as western partners could work out something similar. It's not as if we would not talk English with each other or not post on the same forums etc., after all.

Ordering via Canada Post from Razorock has me going to the post office and paying customs. Express delivery for Timeless, Blackland etc. usually manages that, the price for shipping a Yates 921 to Europe is for a First Class Package International (7 to 21 business days) 25,39 USD, with other express options between 41 USD and 49, with 2-3 or 3-4 business days that usually translate to a week, if not a certain virus or whatever does strike.

This said, a posting about a .66 cent razor from Aliexpress on an enthusiast forum caused me my first ingrown hairs in two decades. ;)

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
So I ordered a Yaqi slant head and a brush from the Yaqi factory store a few days ago. The purchase was through AliExpress and it was my first time buying from them. I had never even browsed their website. Anyways, since then they have been flooding me with emails showing me related items. I couldn't believe that they sell a DE razor which they claim to be stainless steel for .66 cents. I laughed when I saw it because I couldn't believe that at that price it would be possible. And that's just that item, they have thousands of other ridiculously low priced stuff. Note: I don't plan on buying it. I was just shocked that they have something that cheap. And I'm curious if anyone here has actually tried it or one that's similar?
At that price I figure it would be more disposable than anything else. But I could be wrong!

Here it is:

AliExpress has been around for many years, around the same amount of years as Alibaba I believe, I think they are both related, used mainly by middle eastern's. Its basically like Ebay, only shadier, each order you make there, you take a risk. And I learned all this early on, which is why I never made an account on either one of those sites. I also never took a dip in Etsy either. Ebay is enough risk for me thank you very much. Hope you like the razor, but I seriously doubt its worth anything.

I haven’t bought anything else from AliExpress, but that first but turned out alright.

You never forget your first!

Speaking of Aliexpress, beware of potential bait and switch schemes.

Exactly! Just like I was telling Rod, its like Ebay, only shadier, and I don't think you even have buyer protections. At least Ebay and Paypal give you some form of buyer protection.

AliExpress has been around for many years, around the same amount of years as Alibaba I believe, I think they are both related, used mainly by middle eastern's. Its basically like Ebay, only shadier, each order you make there, you take a risk. And I learned all this early on, which is why I never made an account on either one of those sites. I also never took a dip in Etsy either. Ebay is enough risk for me thank you very much. Hope you like the razor, but I seriously doubt its worth anything.

You never forget your first!

Exactly! Just like I was telling Rod, its like Ebay, only shadier, and I don't think you even have buyer protections. At least Ebay and Paypal give you some form of buyer protection.
Well I did order that head and brush from the Yaqi factory store through AliExpress so it should be ok. I've read plenty of people here that have bought from them. I wouldn't randomly buy something there from just any seller. And regardless it was really really cheap so it should be fine. About Etsy, I've bought from there for years and have had zero issues.

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Well I did order that head and brush from the Yaqi factory store through AliExpress so it should be ok. I've read plenty of people here that have bought from them. I wouldn't randomly buy something there from just any seller. And regardless it was really really cheap so it should be fine. About Etsy, I've bought from there for years and have had zero issues.

Hey Rod, if it came from the company, only sold on AliExpress, thats probably going to be OK then. Companies sell on Ebay too the same way. For example, you will find Northern Tool, and Newegg on Ebay, even though they both have their own retail store websites lol.

Hey Rod, if it came from the company, only sold on AliExpress, thats probably going to be OK then. Companies sell on Ebay too the same way. For example, you will find Northern Tool, and Newegg on Ebay, even though they both have their own retail store websites lol.
Yes, that's what they are, just like on eBay! I've been an eBay seller/buyer since 1997. It's changed alot since then since everyone now sells there. Amazon is the same, many companies with physical stores now also have Amazon storefronts. Unfortunately it seems that the end of brick & mortar stores is near!

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Stainless steel? Hah, that's the same junk razor you could buy for $1 at the Dollar Tree.
Big @GlazedBoker thread about that here -->
That's what I thought it looked like....

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
I can. The sooner we all stop paying for the postage, the better

Reason 435 I don't buy from that country unless forced.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I can. The sooner we all stop paying for the postage, the better

Reason 435 I don't buy from that country unless forced.

Thank you.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Here it is:

The old adage "if it looks too good to be true..." definitely applies here. People can spend their money where they want, bit would never waste money Ali junk. Ali makes the Dollar Store look like Cartier.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
The old adage "if it looks too good to be true..." definitely applies here. People can spend their money where they want, bit would never waste money Ali junk. Ali makes the Dollar Store look like Cartier.

The old adage is usually true of course.

I suppose some is subjective, but I've acquired good products from AliExpress. It's certainly not been my experience that Yaqi brushes, for example, are a waste of money. Again, some is subjective.

All that said, I've decided for various reason that I'm not buying in the foreseeable future any more shaving gear from China.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

The old adage is usually true of course.

I suppose some is subjective, but I've acquired good products from AliExpress. It's certainly not been my experience that Yaqi brushes, for example, are a waste of money. Again, some is subjective.

All that said, I've decided for various reason that I'm not buying in the foreseeable future any more shaving gear from China.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Neither am I Jim! Once I got my holy grail brush from China, I put the breaks on, actually, consider it more like a parking break that stays on lol. My more recent brush purchase, comes from APShaveCo, which is supposedly based in Canada. I say supposedly, because my tracking shows origin Niagra Falls NY. I also learned something new today, apparently Canada has a shipping service called Stallion Express.

I can only assume, that the shipping service started when riding horses for travel were a thing, in which case, the name makes sense. I can only hope they are not still riding on horses today lol!

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Neither am I Jim! Once I got my holy grail brush from China, I put the breaks on, actually, consider it more like a parking break that stays on lol. My more recent brush purchase, comes from APShaveCo, which is supposedly based in Canada. I say supposedly, because my tracking shows origin Niagra Falls NY. I also learned something new today, apparently Canada has a shipping service called Stallion Express.

I can only assume, that the shipping service started when riding horses for travel were a thing, in which case, the name makes sense. I can only hope they are not still riding on horses today lol!

There are shipping services which specialize in shipping to "impossible" places. They enable someone in England to buy something in the US that can't be or is not sold outside of the US, for instance. Not saying I know of the service you mentioned.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Top Bottom