What's new

Newbie jumping into the deep end

First post! I've gotten the DE wet shaving bug in a serious way. I'm 60 and been DE shaving for just over ONE month after using cartridges of various kinds since 1977. What can I say, as a young man, I bought the multi-blade advertising hype. However, I NEVER enjoyed shaving until I started using a DE razor. How did I miss this truth?

I have very quickly accumulated a fairly broad array of vintage Gillette razors (fifteen-ish spanning 1918 to 1971). I also have five new razors. I've still not used all of the vintage razors, but I used one of my favorites this morning, which is shown in the photos. It is a WWI-era US Army kit, serial number H 38180 made in 1918 and obviously well-used and well-loved! It was my first experience using a Gillette Old style open-comb razor, and the shave was. let me say, "aggressive." I used an Astra blade that was on shave number 3 or 4, and I had two days worth of growth. I lathered up some Taylor of Old Bond Street Sandalwood cream with a synthetic brush, said a quick prayer, and got down to business.

I typically go for a three-pass shave, but stopped after two with this razor. First, I should have been more careful on my neck with this open short comb razor-can you say, blade feel? I had a little bit of irritation and a couple weepers. Second, I actually got a pretty DFS with a BBS shave on my cheeks! I'm sure that if I had to use this razor every day, my technique would improve, quickly. I won't use this razor every day, but I'm sure I'll give it another go later after my technique improves more.

What a revelation DE shaving has been for this old dog!

PXL_20220509_184955421.PORTRAIT.jpg

PXL_20220509_184832139.PORTRAIT.jpg

PXL_20220509_185910716.PORTRAIT.jpg

First post! I've gotten the DE wet shaving bug in a serious way. I'm 60 and been DE shaving for just over ONE month after using cartridges of various kinds since 1977. What can I say, as a young man, I bought the multi-blade advertising hype. However, I NEVER enjoyed shaving until I started using a DE razor. How did I miss this truth?

I have very quickly accumulated a fairly broad array of vintage Gillette razors (fifteen-ish spanning 1918 to 1971). I also have five new razors. I've still not used all of the vintage razors, but I used one of my favorites this morning, which is shown in the photos. It is a WWI-era US Army kit, serial number H 38180 made in 1918 and obviously well-used and well-loved! It was my first experience using a Gillette Old style open-comb razor, and the shave was. let me say, "aggressive." I used an Astra blade that was on shave number 3 or 4, and I had two days worth of growth. I lathered up some Taylor of Old Bond Street Sandalwood cream with a synthetic brush, said a quick prayer, and got down to business.

I typically go for a three-pass shave, but stopped after two with this razor. First, I should have been more careful on my neck with this open short comb razor-can you say, blade feel? I had a little bit of irritation and a couple weepers. Second, I actually got a pretty DFS with a BBS shave on my cheeks! I'm sure that if I had to use this razor every day, my technique would improve, quickly. I won't use this razor every day, but I'm sure I'll give it another go later after my technique improves more.

What a revelation DE shaving has been for this old dog!

View attachment 1453074
View attachment 1453075

View attachment 1453076
That’s a fine kit you have there sir…Great soap, very nice blades, and a 100 year plus open razor!👍😊💈

Very nice.

I have often wondered if new shavers using a mild razor actually delays progression in their technique. Put another way, does starting off with a more aggressive razor, such as you did, force a new shaver to more quickly learn sound technique?

I've chosen the training-wheels approach by using milder shavers and progressing slowly into more aggressive razors. The upside is that I'm getting pretty darn good shaves with very infrequent need of the styptic pencil.

Regardless - Welcome to the show!

Welcome! Tell us about some of your other razors.
Here's the list of the vintage razors I've bought so far:

• 1918 US Army kit that I used this morning
  • 1920's ball end OLD type (short, open comb) in its original case w/blade box, but without any apparent date codes. I'm having trouble dating it. It is etched with a Goodyear logo on the cap.
  • 1930 NEW type (long, open comb) Berkshire in the original case with a blade box
  • 1946-47 Aristocrat in the original case with a blade case
  • 1946-47 Milord lovingly placed in a separately purchased case with some period correct Blue Blades
  • 1951 Gillette Tech with a bakelite handle in its original box with its original blades
  • 1951 Superspeed in its original case with sealed blades and instructions
  • 1954 Z3 Superspeed neutral flare tip
  • 1956 B4 Superspeed blue tip (coming soon)
  • 1958 D1 Superspeed neutral flare tip
  • 1959 E1 Fatboy in a case with blade dispenser
  • 1961 G3 Aristocrat from my birth quarter (it's in rough shape and currently getting the revamp with Razor Emporium)
  • 1962 H3 Slim
  • 1962 H4 Slim (that I broke trying to disassemble it)
  • 1965 K1 Slim that needs a good cleaning
  • 1965 K4 Slim
  • 1969 O3 Gold-plated Adjustable (later called Super 109 without gold plating) NOS in original package with blades
  • 1971 R4 Superspeed flare tip with black handle
I've gone a little crazy, especially with the Slims. For some reason, I just really enjoy finding and buying grungy Slims and bringing them back to life with a thorough, clean, polish, and adjustment. I'll probably sell most of the Slims.

I also have the following new razors in the order I bought them:
  • Gillette King C
  • Vikings Blade Godfather (which I don't like much)
  • Rockwell 6S (love it)
  • Parker Variant
  • Merkur 34C
I may have a problem ;)

I dig the obvious wear and abuse showing on the razor! Welcome to the group.
The wear and obvious repair work on the handle (they all crack) is one of my favorite things about this wartime relic. I can only imagine the places this razor has been. I don't know why I find it so meaningful, but I just do.

Very nice.

I have often wondered if new shavers using a mild razor actually delays progression in their technique. Put another way, does starting off with a more aggressive razor, such as you did, force a new shaver to more quickly learn sound technique?

I've chosen the training-wheels approach by using milder shavers and progressing slowly into more aggressive razors. The upside is that I'm getting pretty darn good shaves with very infrequent need of the styptic pencil.

Regardless - Welcome to the show!
I have been taking the training wheels approach until this morning. The Superspeeds that I have are pretty mild overall. I typically use a "5" on my Slim or Fatboy. Although I did jump up to 7 once. The Merkur 34C is fairly mild. I usually use the 3 or 4 plate on my Rockwell 6S. The shave I did with my 1951 Tech was very mild, even with a brand new Feather blade.

This morning was a real eye opener though. I don't have any lasting irritation, but it sure was clear that I needed to go with an extremely light touch.

I can't get over how much of a revelation this type of shaving has been. I'm trying to convince my three sons to jump in with me :thumbsup:

Welcome! Tell us about some of your other razors.

Here's the list of the vintage razors I've bought so far:

• 1918 US Army kit that I used this morning
  • 1920's ball end OLD type (short, open comb) in its original case w/blade box, but without any apparent date codes. I'm having trouble dating it. It is etched with a Goodyear logo on the cap.
  • 1930 NEW type (long, open comb) Berkshire in the original case with a blade box
  • 1946-47 Aristocrat in the original case with a blade case
  • 1946-47 Milord lovingly placed in a separately purchased case with some period correct Blue Blades
  • 1951 Gillette Tech with a bakelite handle in its original box with its original blades
  • 1951 Superspeed in its original case with sealed blades and instructions
  • 1954 Z3 Superspeed neutral flare tip
  • 1956 B4 Superspeed blue tip (coming soon)
  • 1958 D1 Superspeed neutral flare tip
  • 1959 E1 Fatboy in a case with blade dispenser
  • 1961 G3 Aristocrat from my birth quarter (it's in rough shape and currently getting the revamp with Razor Emporium)
  • 1962 H3 Slim
  • 1962 H4 Slim (that I broke trying to disassemble it)
  • 1965 K1 Slim that needs a good cleaning
  • 1965 K4 Slim
  • 1969 O3 Gold-plated Adjustable (later called Super 109 without gold plating) NOS in original package with blades
  • 1971 R4 Superspeed flare tip with black handle
I've gone a little crazy, especially with the Slims. For some reason, I just really enjoy finding and buying grungy Slims and bringing them back to life with a thorough, clean, polish, and adjustment. I'll probably sell most of the Slims.

I also have the following new razors in the order I bought them:
  • Gillette King C
  • Vikings Blade Godfather (which I don't like much)
  • Rockwell 6S (love it)
  • Parker Variant
  • Merkur 34C
I may have a problem ;)
Oh, I forgot one! It came in a "vintage" travel kit that I bought. As far as I can tell, it is an all aluminum mid-1960's English Gillette Tech that looks like it has never been used.

I definitely have a problem :lol:

Top Bottom