What's new

In Pursuit of the Devonshire Oilstone

I had to explain to an English girl the meaning of that phrase last week, it wasn't easy as she doesn't drive and has no interest in cars, beyond knowing a Mini and a Rolls Royce she does not know one car from another, explaining what was meant by doozy was a tall order.

I was in England years ago visiting with friends. We were three pints into the evening when one of them decided that linguistic games were in order. We took turns spouting off random slang phrases used by each other in the best imitation of each other's voices.

We had a great time but no one really understood our respective phrases any better by the next morning. I continue to be confused by the word 'punter'. Sometimes I think it is supposed to mean 'customer', and other times I think it is kind of generic perjorative.

Well done with 'doozy'!.

I was in England years ago visiting with friends. We were three pints into the evening when one of them decided that linguistic games were in order. We took turns spouting off random slang phrases used by each other in the best imitation of each other's voices.

We had a great time but no one really understood our respective phrases any better by the next morning. I continue to be confused by the word 'punter'. Sometimes I think it is supposed to mean 'customer', and other times I think it is kind of generic perjorative.

Well done with 'doozy'!.
I've heard herion addicts referred to as punters pretty exclusivity. I've got a little insight into this, and for the record I'm not a herion addict.

I continue to be confused by the word 'punter'. Sometimes I think it is supposed to mean 'customer

'Customer' is generally it, yep. Though it would tend to be used by people offering the service, so could be mildly derogatory in an 'us and them' kinda way. To distinguish between punters and professionals.

Can be used by sex workers to be synonymous with 'john' or 'trick'. Probably also by dealers as ES said.

It's quite an old-school word, originally for gamblers as in: 'Taking a punt' on something.

'Customer' is generally it, yep. Though it would tend to be used by people offering the service, so could be mildly derogatory in an 'us and them' kinda way. To distinguish between punters and professionals.

Can be used by sex workers to be synonymous with 'john' or 'trick'. Probably also by dealers as ES said.

It's quite an old-school word, originally for gamblers as in: 'Taking a punt' on something.
Thanks for the insight!

And now some prior conversations make more sense!

Top Bottom