What's new

Help needed with flat / tough hairs

I have a few patches of really super tough stubble - lower chin bordering on the neck and one side of my neck. These parts can be visibly hairless after a shave, but a closer inspection and a feel show a significant amount of hair missed. If you were to stand close to me you would notice.

I’ve tried everything from extra preparation such as pre shaves but really I think it’s down to the razor. The only one I have that gets the hairs a bit closer to the skin is my Fatip Piccolo V1, but even this leaves visible hairs though not as long as other razors.

The only thing that gets the hairs is an against the grain pass, but due to the sensitivity of my skin this will always end up with bleeding / irritation / ingrown hairs, plus a smaller amount of missed hairs. I usually do 3 passes with most razors- one WTG followed by 2 cross grain in either direction. The only exception to this is the Fatip which only needs one WTG and a cross grain (ear to chin) for a reasonably close shave. Yes I could just use the Fatip all the time, but where’s the variety eh?

Any ideas guys?

I have the same issue, and any de or se with any blade makes me look clean shaven, but I have really course, stubborn area on each side of my chin from the corners of my mouth down. I started straight razor shaving 2 years ago, give or take. I can shave with just about any well honed straight and clean that stubble very well with zero irritation. I have found that the larger blades work better for me, like 7/8 on up. A couple of my largest blades, I can get by on one pass, with the grain. I still do two passes though. I'd give straights a thought.

A truly shave-ready straight razor.
Not a bad idea, but I’ve tried this in the past and although the results were generally good, the time investment in stropping/honing and shaving meant that it wasn’t practicable on a daily basis. Any DE razor I can confidently throw around my mug in about 5 minutes flat hence why I went down that route

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Not a bad idea, but I’ve tried this in the past and although the results were generally good, the time investment in stropping/honing and shaving meant that it wasn’t practicable on a daily basis. Any DE razor I can confidently throw around my mug in about 5 minutes flat hence why I went down that route
And therein may lie your problem.

Once set up, a shave-ready traditional SR only needs an extra 2 to 3 minutes per shave to maintain it that way forever. There are also disposable blade SR's that require basically no maintenance.

Do you organise your life by the minute? I doubt it.

And therein may lie your problem.

Once set up, a shave-ready traditional SR only needs an extra 2 to 3 minutes per shave to maintain it that way forever. There are also disposable blade SR's that require basically no maintenance.

Do you organise your life by the minute? I doubt it.
Yes it is certainly a contributing factor. My life currently is pretty much organised by the minute, between a job in healthcare and having to put in an almost equal amount of hours towards university studies leaves very little time to myself so things like shaving unfortunately don’t get as much priority.

That being said I do like the idea of using a shavette though, and being able to use the same variety of blades as my DE is attractive as well. Just don’t think I could afford the time in the morning.

I do a weird thing where I put a finger from the other hand right in front of the cutting edge of the DE razor and drag it along up my neck to my chin. I guess it’s kind of like those rubbery flaps some cartridges used to have to lift up the hairs. Whatever it is, it gets much closer than an ATG alone that misses a lot of stubble.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
.... Just don’t think I could afford the time in the morning.
I very much doubt that you are going to solve your problem, even with a "safety" razor, without spending a few more minutes each morning on your shaving. Just live with your problem until your lifestyle allows you more time.

I do a lot of buffing with a DE. Short little strokes. Got a swirly on my neck that lays flat. Lots of passes in different directions. I try not to go fully ATG but many variations of WTG and XTG. It took a long time to figure out.

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
I have a few patches of really super tough stubble - lower chin bordering on the neck and one side of my neck. These parts can be visibly hairless after a shave, but a closer inspection and a feel show a significant amount of hair missed. If you were to stand close to me you would notice.

I’ve tried everything from extra preparation such as pre shaves but really I think it’s down to the razor. The only one I have that gets the hairs a bit closer to the skin is my Fatip Piccolo V1, but even this leaves visible hairs though not as long as other razors.

The only thing that gets the hairs is an against the grain pass, but due to the sensitivity of my skin this will always end up with bleeding / irritation / ingrown hairs, plus a smaller amount of missed hairs. I usually do 3 passes with most razors- one WTG followed by 2 cross grain in either direction. The only exception to this is the Fatip which only needs one WTG and a cross grain (ear to chin) for a reasonably close shave. Yes I could just use the Fatip all the time, but where’s the variety eh?

Any ideas guys?

Well, despite you posting in this forum it doesn't look like you are really new, you joined in 2008, but you know what, I am going to welcome you anyways, cause thats the way I role. So, Welcome To Badger & Blade! :)

I can only speak on my own personal experience, so with the advice provided, YMMV. I have sensitive skin, and I also have course whiskers, which is a terrible combination, cause 4 to 5 day stubble is like murder on my poor sensitive skin with course whiskers. Infact, thinking on it right now, I need to get this 2-day stubble shaved off soon lol.

Here's the thing, there are certain areas of your face and neck that are always going to be tricky for any shaver. For this reason, is why many DE shavers, choose to do a 3-pass shave, WTG - XTG - ATG. But heres the problem, whenever I did XTG passes, by the time I did ATG, I had nicks and weepers. My skin doesn't appreciate XTG at all!

So why is this a problem you ask? Well, if you map you whiskers growth, you might find, on places of your neck, it doesn't grow vertically, it grows horizontally. And this is what the XTG pass is supposed to be for, oh so how unfortunate for me! So what do I do you ask? Well, since I value my skin over my whiskers, I say screw it! I will do WTG and ATG only shaves from then on.

ATG is a must on your neck, because WTG will never get them short enough. So I first go over my neck WTG, then re-wet, re-lather, and then I will go back over my neck ATG. By the time I am done, I am usually between 80% BBS on my neck, with a remaining 20% or less DFS on the neck. If I do XTG, I'd be completely BBS, but then I'd be crying in pain with weepers, razor burn, nicks.

For me, the tradeoff is worth it. Because I am getting a very close shave that will always pass muster, but won't send me to a skin doctor inquiring some magic remedy cures that do not exist in our century. But if your expecting to get a BBS shave on your neck from just WTG passes, sorry, thats not going to happen.

Now, in regards to razor type, this gets more murky in the waters. While a mild shaver can be less aggressive, and thereby easier on your skin, it also means that its less efficient on getting the whiskers removed on your skin, and requiring more passes to be done, and lots more buffing. I have a Feather AS-D2 for a mild razor, and its pointless using it, its terrible for use on course whiskers!

I too am a fan of stainless steel razors. I decided to leave standard DE razors behind after my first bad experience with the Feather, and I joined the group of the elite, the adjustable razors. Think of them like Sparton Warriors in Halo. I specifically chose the Rex Ambassador. Now that is quite a razor let me tell you, top level construction, 316L brushed stainless steel, real good stuff.

Since I am a 2-day stubble shaver, or 3-day if its the weekend, cause I don't shave on the weekend, I find my Rex Ambassador is the tool for my whisker reduction, because when doing WTG passes, I have it set to blade aggression level 4, off goes the bulk in a moments notice! Then I come back ATG on levels 1 and 2.

I find working with heavy weighted razors to be somewhat easier, because you don't have to apply any pressure, you just let the weight of the razor, carry the blade through the cut, and it does an excellent job at that. And while the Rex Ambassador does an awesome job shaving my face, it isn't perhaps the smoothest razor in the world, but it does the job quite nicely for its expensive cost!

However, if you would like to not spend 300 dollars on a razor, (most wouldn't) then I can so far recommend the Merkur Futur adjustable razor, which can be had for less then 70 bucks if you know where to shop online. The Merkur Futur is the most recent razor that I've acquired, and only have a couple of shaves under my belt with it.

What I can say is, my first shave with the Futur went very smoothly, so smooth infact, I was amazed how much smoother of a razor it was, over that of my Rex Ambassador. But my second shave with the Futur didn't go as well. I am starting to question the fact that maybe a Bic blade isn't exactly ideal for the Futur. And I am thinking about changing the blade in it soon to something else.

But yes, WTG and ATG passes are always required. You can do XTG passes if your skin can handle it. And please remember, the more aggressive the razor, the more whisker growth it can take off in a single pass. So for example, say you don't want to do ATG passes either, and you only want to do WTG passes, well, you better get something quite aggressive to even remotely achieve that miracle.

For example, both my Rex and my Merkur have adjustments for settings 1 through 6. I suppose if I was willing to take the risk of a lifetime, I could set it to level 6, hope it doesn't cut me up into next week, and see if I can get a skin smooth shave with WTG passes only. But I am not dumb, and I have 0 interest in wishing to risk my life to do that lol.

Anyways, at this point I feel like I am rambling. So, I will just stop here, and hope that my reply to you was helpful in some way.

Well, despite you posting in this forum it doesn't look like you are really new, you joined in 2008, but you know what, I am going to welcome you anyways, cause thats the way I role. So, Welcome To Badger & Blade! :)

I can only speak on my own personal experience, so with the advice provided, YMMV. I have sensitive skin, and I also have course whiskers, which is a terrible combination, cause 4 to 5 day stubble is like murder on my poor sensitive skin with course whiskers. Infact, thinking on it right now, I need to get this 2-day stubble shaved off soon lol.

Here's the thing, there are certain areas of your face and neck that are always going to be tricky for any shaver. For this reason, is why many DE shavers, choose to do a 3-pass shave, WTG - XTG - ATG. But heres the problem, whenever I did XTG passes, by the time I did ATG, I had nicks and weepers. My skin doesn't appreciate XTG at all!

So why is this a problem you ask? Well, if you map you whiskers growth, you might find, on places of your neck, it doesn't grow vertically, it grows horizontally. And this is what the XTG pass is supposed to be for, oh so how unfortunate for me! So what do I do you ask? Well, since I value my skin over my whiskers, I say screw it! I will do WTG and ATG only shaves from then on.

ATG is a must on your neck, because WTG will never get them short enough. So I first go over my neck WTG, then re-wet, re-lather, and then I will go back over my neck ATG. By the time I am done, I am usually between 80% BBS on my neck, with a remaining 20% or less DFS on the neck. If I do XTG, I'd be completely BBS, but then I'd be crying in pain with weepers, razor burn, nicks.

For me, the tradeoff is worth it. Because I am getting a very close shave that will always pass muster, but won't send me to a skin doctor inquiring some magic remedy cures that do not exist in our century. But if your expecting to get a BBS shave on your neck from just WTG passes, sorry, thats not going to happen.

Now, in regards to razor type, this gets more murky in the waters. While a mild shaver can be less aggressive, and thereby easier on your skin, it also means that its less efficient on getting the whiskers removed on your skin, and requiring more passes to be done, and lots more buffing. I have a Feather AS-D2 for a mild razor, and its pointless using it, its terrible for use on course whiskers!

I too am a fan of stainless steel razors. I decided to leave standard DE razors behind after my first bad experience with the Feather, and I joined the group of the elite, the adjustable razors. Think of them like Sparton Warriors in Halo. I specifically chose the Rex Ambassador. Now that is quite a razor let me tell you, top level construction, 316L brushed stainless steel, real good stuff.

Since I am a 2-day stubble shaver, or 3-day if its the weekend, cause I don't shave on the weekend, I find my Rex Ambassador is the tool for my whisker reduction, because when doing WTG passes, I have it set to blade aggression level 4, off goes the bulk in a moments notice! Then I come back ATG on levels 1 and 2.

I find working with heavy weighted razors to be somewhat easier, because you don't have to apply any pressure, you just let the weight of the razor, carry the blade through the cut, and it does an excellent job at that. And while the Rex Ambassador does an awesome job shaving my face, it isn't perhaps the smoothest razor in the world, but it does the job quite nicely for its expensive cost!

However, if you would like to not spend 300 dollars on a razor, (most wouldn't) then I can so far recommend the Merkur Futur adjustable razor, which can be had for less then 70 bucks if you know where to shop online. The Merkur Futur is the most recent razor that I've acquired, and only have a couple of shaves under my belt with it.

What I can say is, my first shave with the Futur went very smoothly, so smooth infact, I was amazed how much smoother of a razor it was, over that of my Rex Ambassador. But my second shave with the Futur didn't go as well. I am starting to question the fact that maybe a Bic blade isn't exactly ideal for the Futur. And I am thinking about changing the blade in it soon to something else.

But yes, WTG and ATG passes are always required. You can do XTG passes if your skin can handle it. And please remember, the more aggressive the razor, the more whisker growth it can take off in a single pass. So for example, say you don't want to do ATG passes either, and you only want to do WTG passes, well, you better get something quite aggressive to even remotely achieve that miracle.

For example, both my Rex and my Merkur have adjustments for settings 1 through 6. I suppose if I was willing to take the risk of a lifetime, I could set it to level 6, hope it doesn't cut me up into next week, and see if I can get a skin smooth shave with WTG passes only. But I am not dumb, and I have 0 interest in wishing to risk my life to do that lol.

Anyways, at this point I feel like I am rambling. So, I will just stop here, and hope that my reply to you was helpful in some way.
Thanks for the response. Yes I have been on b&b for quite some time 😝

I posted in this forum more for the ‘shave clinic’ aspect, seeing as this is only a more recent issue. I attribute the “hardening” or flat nature of hair patches to wearing of a mask for 12 to 16 hours per day, a requirement of my job.

In terms of razor I get what you are saying in terms of heavier hardware. I have been using a merkur futur myself for about a year now and have had some fantastic results. The additional weight plus the general high aggressiveness makes it a very efficient tool, but one that needs a really good pre preparation before the shave I.e. long hot shower and good facial wash plus very slick and hydrating lather.

The only real exception to the above is the Fatip piccolo, which is far lighter but way more aggressive and challenging to use.

I have a patch under my chin that only gets cut clean with ATG passes and buffing. I find my Henson mild or medium does a great job on it. Because of the tight area, more aggressive razors or those with more blade exposure tend to grab and nick. Perhaps try a Henson or a Winning razor?

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
I have a patch under my chin that only gets cut clean with ATG passes and buffing. I find my Henson mild or medium does a great job on it. Because of the tight area, more aggressive razors or those with more blade exposure tend to grab and nick. Perhaps try a Henson or a Winning razor?

Regarding your comment about more aggressive razors tend to grab and nick. Yes, this is true that a more aggressive razor, have a higher likely chance to doing that. Having said that however, it also really depends on the technique from the user who is operating the razor, and what type of blade that is in the razor.

If your technique is bad, so will the shave with an aggressive razor. And not every razor works well with the same blade. For example, I have a Merkur Futur razor that I am using now, Bic blades are just not working out well with it for me, I am just not getting a solid enough shave.

So I will be changing blade types to try to achieve, a smoother shave. With a solid technique, and a good blade, you will be getting a fairly good shave with an aggressive razor.

Top Bottom